Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
slobslayer

gear storage

How do you guys store gear? Underneath, milk crate, tackle boxes, etc... I recently got a bait tank so I had to remove my milk crate from the rear. I'm on a tarpon 160 and don't have room for tackle boxes underneath, but maybe behind my bait tank/rods. Looking for ideas as what type of box would fit and be durable or anything else. I'll post pics when I can...thanks
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
CheapPelican

I use a satchel. Leash it and leave it in the foot well in front of my foot peg.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
slobslayer

I have three clear plano tackle boxes which are like 8x10 which fit perfectly in my crate before side by side. So I'm looking for a box to hold these tackle boxes and misc items
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobslayer View Post
How do you guys store gear? Underneath, milk crate, tackle boxes, etc... I recently got a bait tank so I had to remove my milk crate from the rear. I'm on a tarpon 160 and don't have room for tackle boxes underneath, but maybe behind my bait tank/rods. Looking for ideas as what type of box would fit and be durable or anything else. I'll post pics when I can...thanks
One thing I learned about kayak fishing is you have to small down your gear. Meaning you have to find different ways to carry it on a Kayak. I too use to have a Milk Crate but my bait bucket was in there . I bought a small $20 tackle bag that came with two small plastic boxes and plenty of room for tackle for the day I'm going out. This is the fun with Kayaks, finding out how to use them for a day on the water and have access to all that you need. Remember if you put something behind your bait tank you're going to have to reach to get to your tackle, that could be more effort than you want. Looking into storing your gear in a smaller bag that you can leash up by your feet.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
tagyak

for those taking their individual plano tackle boxes, i would suggest to purchase the ones with the rubber seal on the lids. they are a bit more expensive but i think they are worth it. unless you go home and soak your gear in fresh water each time you get home.

i really get annoyed when i see my hooks getting rusted out and i didn't even get a chance to use them yet. but maybe thats just me.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
for those taking their individual plano tackle boxes, i would suggest to purchase the ones with the rubber seal on the lids. they are a bit more expensive but i think they are worth it. unless you go home and soak your gear in fresh water each time you get home.

i really get annoyed when i see my hooks getting rusted out and i didn't even get a chance to use them yet. but maybe thats just me.
I use the same boxes, with the seals, you still have to rinse your stuff, if the boxes are sitting in the back or as mine are on each side of the bait tank, they still get moisture in them, I have made leashes from phone chargers for flipping in the surf or falling in OTW, no trouble, I have larger boxes for striper stuff with the same leashes.
In innovations there is a suggestion for mounting brackets inside the hull to set boxes in which I may do here soon, to keep the deck more clear.
But for the salt water the sealed boxes are the only way to go
Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
tagyak

hey brett,

for me i have a hobie outback and i have placed some heavy duty magnets to the inside of the hull. (the outback has a ledge on the sides.) then i have attached two strips of metal, the ones you get from hardware stores that are used for support about 1.5" x 8" in size. duct taped it to the bottom of the boxes. these sit ontop of the magnets and they don't move not even going through the surf.
on the other side of the hull i have attached a slotted tray from target. i use these for my jacket or lunch so that it will be up off the floor and keeps it from sliding around.
with the boxes out of the sunlight i think it would help with the moisture from accruing in the boxes. if you try it let me know what your results are.

tim
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
mtnbykr2

Yeah I tried the velcro route on the boxes inside, a few trips and that was that, I will install the metal strips and magnets on the boat hull. I think this is a great idea, I will give it a go thanks Tim
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:

You're hooks don't rust from saltwater, they rust because you only use them once a year

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
kixchad

I got a sweet seat from UP sports in o-side that has two 8x10 boxes, a 4x6, and two 2x4s built in. Plus the standard two pole holders.
kixchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:

The Logic here makes sense but if you have a water tight tackle box you're going to have we stuff in the box at some point in your day. Every time you open that box to put a hook, jig, weight, or anything aways and get something new out, you're going to get moisture in the box. It's still a safe practice once you're done with your day to rinse everything with freshwater.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
steveooo

In regard to moisture, I know a few guys that put rice in the plano boxes with the gaskets, and that absorbs the moisture. When I used to use those planos, I would use silica packets that I found online. They were cheap, like a 100 for just a few bucks. You could also "re-charge" them in the oven when they got wet.

Now, I travel light and just bring a couple hooks, some terminal tackle, an iron or 2, and maybe a couple pieces of lead. I put that in a ziplock in my center hatch. About as low tech as possible, but its easy
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
slobslayer

I guess ill have to learn to travel light, I'm used to fishing in a boat so I take everything. I just like knowing I have a lot of options
Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
T Bone

Its funny,all the junk we drag along and dont really use.Think of going on a summer tuna trip when literally all you need are a few extra hooks.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
kobra

I use that non slip matting stuff that kinda looks like a net. Can't remember what it's called but the sportboats use it on their galley tables. Anyways, I got the widest size that I could find, cut a length a little longer than the length from the drive well to the seat drains of my revo. That allowed me to fold the ends up on both end to keep anything from rolling past. The small plano boxes that I put into the hatch under the hatch bucket do not move even in rough conditions. Just a cheap fix that works for me.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:

Agree x2 another helpful tip I picked up on this site is childrens sidewalk chalk. Put a small piece in each plano box and it absorbs moisture and cuts down on rust.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #17
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
In regard to moisture, I know a few guys that put rice in the plano boxes with the gaskets, and that absorbs the moisture. When I used to use those planos, I would use silica packets that I found online. They were cheap, like a 100 for just a few bucks. You could also "re-charge" them in the oven when they got wet.

Now, I travel light and just bring a couple hooks, some terminal tackle, an iron or 2, and maybe a couple pieces of lead. I put that in a ziplock in my center hatch. About as low tech as possible, but its easy
The rice thing does work. They use that to draw moisture out of cell phones and other electronics that get wet.

Like you I have found that it's easier to travel light and take what you need and not what you will not use. Ziplock bags are great for storing sinkers and hooks.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Its funny,all the junk we drag along and dont really use.Think of going on a summer tuna trip when literally all you need are a few extra hooks.
you'd laugh if you saw how much gear I carry.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #19
tagyak

Hi steveo thanks for the idea of the rice thing.
What I've done is us the dry inserts that skiers use in the boots that I got from Marshalls. I would put one in a box with my tackle that is still damp after rinsing them with fresh water. And also with my ff since it too has some moisture after washing. this has worked well for me but had I known about the rice I would have done that instead.