Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Freespool

New to So Cal, Newb Yak Fisherman looking for 1st SlayRide

Hello all,
After lurking around for a bit and doing a little research, I'm finally posting in search of my first kayak for fishing. I'm new to the area via Seattle, grew up in Nor Cal, and moved here less than a month ago to start a new job. I've fished since I was a kid but never from a kayak, only from a canoe in protected nearshore waters off a spot or two up north and lakes. Most of my fishing up north was steelheading and salmon fishing and a lot of that was with fly rods. Now that I'm here, I'm already having steelheading/salmon fishing withdrawals and I'm ready to try a new style of fishing. I've caught tuna and billfish out on charters and party boats a few times but only 1 yellowtail off the Coronados a few years back while visiting a friend down here. I've never caught a white seabass, never a halibut.

Anyways, I missed that xfactor that was just sold recently on this board. That seemed like a good deal. I may be looking at a used Cobra Fish N Dive 12.5' with rod holders, bait tank, fish finder, paddle, 2 seats, and a few other goodies for $700 this weekend. If it doesn't sell before I can get to it, this seems like a great first kayak for me with its stability and capacity. So, if anyone here has a kayak they want to sell that they think might be a good first fishing kayak for La Jolla as well as taking up north to SF Bay and other nearshore areas throughout CA, . Thanks in advance for any offers or advice!
Jon
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
LORENZ
Junior

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=5026
LORENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Welcome Joe!

You are looking at some big man kayaks. Are you a big guy? I just ask because both Malibu, and Cobra make smaller beamed, and faster kayaks, ala X-13, and Marauder respectively.

One thing you can learn is stability, but never gain speed. I am not knocking those models, plenty of people are perfectly happy paddling those, and caught plenty of BIG

Just offering my perspective on a paddling, I believe you can demo kayaks at OEX, and other shops to find the right one for you.

hope this helps,

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
JD

X-Factor

I completely agree with Chris! If you're a big guy (meaning 6'2 250lbs) the X-factor is the boat for you! It is very stable, sturdy, and solid as a rock but it is slow as hell. For gods sake, you can stand up in the thing. If you're paddling next to any other boat, you will not be able to keep up!

If you fish solo, like i typically do, you won't notice the slugglishness of the X-factor nearly as much. But you will notice how damn heavy it is when you are loading it in your truck. Not a bad boat, but they all have pros an cons.

Spend the time, ask questions and try to paddle around some demos. I know the OEX guys in Point Loma don't mind loaning out boats to try out @ shelter island.

If you're at all average in size you may want to consider a trident (prowler) or a tarpon 150 or 160. Hobies seem pretty cool too, but I don't know much about them other than they seem expensive to me.

My $0.02
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Gino

X-factors are a great boat. I own one now and currently looking to sell it soon.

X-factors have + and -, They are super stable, and have a good keel undernieth so they stay straight in the water when paddling. The front hatch is awsoem for stuffing a big halibut inthier without any trouble. They have decent storage. and surf launch and land pretty well.

The ugly things are they definately are slow. The back hatch on Older X-factors back hatch sits kinda low in the water line near the scepper holes. So if your a bigger dude, with a bait tank you possible could have a problem with water getting intot he back hatch. (im 300lbs 6'3 so it has been a small issue for me, witch is why im selling it) I only take on water maybe every 5th trip or so. And its hardly enough water to notice anything differant in the kayak. They are longer with more bottom keel. So they are much harder to turn. And are one of the heavier kayaks to move around (not a problem for a big guy)

X-Factors in general are an awsome kayak to get as your first boat. Very stable till you get your kayak legs and balance up!

If you have the pocket book, Look into the Stealth - 14 its basically an x-factor with a differant interior design and and a live bait tank made molded in. Very nice kayak!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Freespool

Thanks for all the info guys. It really is appreciated. I'm sure you get new guys all the time asking "what kind of kayak should I get" so sorry to be one of those. I guess maybe I should head over to OEX this weekend and try paddling a few around.

I'm not that big of a dude, more average I guess (6'1", 175-180 lbs.). From doing some reading, ideally I think I might want a WS Tarpon 140 but brand new they're a bit pricey. Because I'm new to the sport and on a budget, I feel like I should try to get a decent deal on something used. I plan to do quite a bit of fishing so I don't want something on it's last legs. I just want something fairly user friendly.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Freespool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
If you're at all average in size you may want to consider a trident (prowler) or a tarpon 150 or 160. Hobies seem pretty cool too, but I don't know much about them other than they seem expensive to me.

My $0.02
Just out of curiosity, why a tarpon 150 or 160 over a 140? Just for speed with the extra length?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

The longer paddle kayaks are going to have more glide, but your decision may be based on storage. Are you in an apt, or house with a garage?

I am about your size, but plus 20lbs.

Again, not saying Xfactor, or FnD would not be a great fishing platform.

At your size, I'd look at:

prowler 13,15 or trident

malibu Pro explorer, X-13, stealth 14

tarpon 120, 140 or 160

cobra marauder, navigator, tourer

maybe Josh, Nate, will b., Rooster, Steveooo can recommend a Hobie, I havent peddled any.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
Anthony179
A.T.

Saw this on Craiglist.

Cobra Marauder - Fully Loaded Fishing Kayak - $800 (Ontario, California)

Reply to:sale-h7hfb-1183062074@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-21, 8:54PM PDT

This is a Cobra Marauder Kayak (With the original "Mariner" name on the side before Cobra was forced to change it). The kayak is 14'6" long, weighs a mere 55 lbs and has a 425lb Capacity.

Included are the large forward "A"-Hatch, the Large center rectangular hatch, the center round hatch with accessory bucket and the stern round accessory hatch. 8, that's right, 8 Flush Mount Rod holders are installed, and the kayak comes with a BRAND NEW Cobra 2-piece Power Flex Paddle, as well as a Brand New Cobra High Back Seat.

Also included is an Eagle Fish Easy-2 Fish Finder with the transducer wired and installed inside of the hull for shoot through hull reading.

The only thing else you need for a fun fishing trip is a 12V 7ah battery to run the fish finder, your fishing tackle, and water.

The Marauder is one of the most stable and quickest fishing kayaks available and is equipped with everything you need to fish either fresh OR Salt Water.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1183062074

Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
Freespool

Thanks Anthony. Looks like a pretty good option but 2 hours just to look at it is something I'll avoid for now. I'm in SD. I plan to take a few test paddles this weekend at OEX and scour SD craigslist and this site.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

Joe,

the yaks chris mentioned are all awsome for you size (im the same size as you), having paddled most of the touring yaks i must say my favorite is the tarpon 14.....but then again if your looking at spending that much (1000+) i would really look into the hobies (revo or outback) although they cost almost double what you would pay for a used yak, if you fish ALOT offshore there is no beating a hobie, you can haul alot more junk around, travel much further, faster and stay out longer.....plus who can resist eating lunch, drinking a cold beverage while trolling a mac and tieing up another pole....all while your buddys are just trying to keep up
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #12
-scallywag-
Banned

the bad part about hobies is trying to land a big yellow or WSB with lunch on your lap, tackle box open poles laying around...all while your buddies laugh at you
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
Freespool

down to 2

I'm down to 2 kayaks, a Cobra Marauder and a Tarpon 160i so any input on one vs. the other is welcome. Both are good deals on used yaks. I'm fairly certain I'm going with the Marauder but I'm having a hard time passing on the Tarpon deal. It's $750 with everything needed except a bait tank. It even includes a nice fish finder and the thing has hardly been used. Seems like a really good deal. The Marauder is $700 and in great shape. It includes everything minus a bait tank and fish finder. I like the fact that the Marauder is a bit lighter and shorter so easier to load/unload on the roof of the car. It also seems a bit more stable and easier to turn.

Again, thanks for all the information you guys have shared.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
Freespool

Time to fish

Bought a Cobra Marauder. Stoked!! See you guys on the water.