Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Yakly

Flatties in San Diego Bay

I'm thinking about looking for some halibut in SDB this Saturday but not sure what area to start my search. Can you guys point me in the right direction/area as well as where to launch????? Haven't fished the bay before so I have no idea where to start.

Also thinking about hitting up the bonefish for a little light tackle fun but I prefer to target the halibut.

Anyone going out and want to meet up????
Yakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
lamb

Halibut can be found all over the bay on the sandy bottom. I'd look for around the bait barge, shallow right at the edges of eel grass growing by the rocks... The 40 ft dredged drop off in the middle of the Bay usually has some sitting at the edge, but you've got to deal with all the big boat traffic. If you're up for a longer paddle, check the area outside of the Zuniga Jetty - that place is also called "Halibut Heaven", for a reason. Be careful with the outgoing tide - it may be really tough to paddle back into it.

I haven't fished the South Bay so I don't know, but that's where you'd need to go if you want to target bonefish as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
taggermike

Halibut live all through the bay and all depth of water. Some people seam to do well with plastics but if you really want to target halibut live bait is the way to go. So that means making it or buying it. Smelt can be caught all over the bay or you hit the EbCo reciever. If you catch smelt you can launch any where. For ebco shelter island is the place to launch. I've done well driftin the channle edges off north island from the old sea plane ramps to the big mooring blocks. The drop off ikn front of the balihai shoal can be good as well as all around the shoal off the amphib base outside glorietta bay. Get em. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Yakly

Thanks guys, I think I have a plan of attack!!!!! Now let's see if my plan works...
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
todd one

If you launch at Shelter Island and paddle straight across to the other side, near that naval base pier, That's a real good area. You can also hit the area opposite side of the Shelter Island pier too. If you want to paddle out toward the mouth of the bay right along the jetty, you'll really be in the thick of things. I live really close and fish the bay all the time. Those are my favorite spots for halibut.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
todd one

I got these along the jetty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg securedownload.jpg (75.6 KB, 244 views)
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
finyak

I may be up for Sat. Where are you launching from and what time?

Frank
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Yakly

That's what I'm looking for!!!!!!

Probably hit the bay by 6am or so. Looks like the best fishing will between then and noon.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Yakly

Also, I probably will be launching from Shelter Island, try and make bait and give the other side a try first.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
roadx

just a suggestion

to leave with the out going tide which turns at 7:00 am and come in after the tide turns again around 2:00 pm

after 7:00am and before 2:00pm it will make your paddle/peddle harder
Old 07-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Yakly

Good point, I guess that means I have to stay out longer. I'll have to explain this to my girlfriend, I'm sure she wouldn't want me all tired when I get home because I had to paddle my butt off. I'd have to go home a take a nap before we go out!!! HEHEHEHE
Old 07-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
JimPat

Launch from shelter island and head over to the bait barge. We drifted on the west side of the bait barge dock and had three halibut on chovie in an hour. One was close, one was small and the third was legal but my buddy thought he would net it with one hand. As I was warning him that this thing was going o kick his a$$ it proceeded to jump out of the net and spit he hook t the same time. Other han hat it was a good trip.

Jim
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Yakly

Picked up chovies and thought about but decided to make my way to Zungia. I knew I should have stopped!!!!!!!