Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Freespool

fall trip to Nor Cal

I went up north for a friend's bachelor party weekend and not having been there in awhile, I decided to take a few vacation days, bring the kayak along, and visit some of my old haunts. I grew up in Nor Cal but have only started the fishing from a kayak madness since moving here in May. I was anxious to try some of my spots with my new craft. The fishing was mixed. I had some pretty amazing striper fishing, some very slow steelhead fishing.

The highlight was O'Neill Forebay. I'm sure some of you are familiar with this spot. Along with San Luis Reservoir, these two bodies of water have put out all the freshwater striper records in the country and are part of the aqueduct system bringing water from the Delta down here. If you're ever taking a drive up to the Bay Area or anywhere up north on I-5, it's worth a stop - especially in fall or spring when the wind is down. I arrived at about 4pm on a Friday afternoon and certainly didn't want to delve right into Bay Area traffic at that time on a Friday. Kayak fishing in 80 degree perfect weather was a much nicer alternative. While setting up on shore, I heard a couple splashes that I assumed were lures hitting the water from two nearby float tubers. It then quickly started sounding like it was pouring rain and I looked up to see about an acre of boiling stripers exploding on baitfish in 6 feet of water. I quickly put everything together but some Jims in a powerboat blazed right up on top of it and it was over before anyone with a little more sense could get nearby. It really didn't matter though. In about a half hour, there were smaller groups of boils all over the place. I found a nice spot between two schools of boiling fish and had nonstop topwater action for about 2 hours until it was near dark. I only threw poppers and Zara Spooks and probably had about 50-75 boils on the lures and landed about 12 or so. None were huge but a few were in the 25" range. For my newbie kayaker status, these fish represented my personal best catches from my Marauder (I still haven't caught anything but barracuda and calicos around here).

After the debauchery of the weekend, I headed up north to the Humboldt Nation to visit some friends. The rivers were lower than I've ever seen them. I don't get many chances at fly fishing in rivers down here so l left the kayak out for this part. It was pretty slow. In two days, I managed to get one adult steelhead up to my feet on the spey rod. When it took off on its final run after seeing me, it bent the hook into an L shape and promptly unbuttoned itself. Oh well, at least I got to feel the wrath for a little bit. I landed one other "half pounder" about 18" and that was it. My buddy landed an adult with conventional gear.

On the way home, I stopped to see my parents and spent a last morning fishing SF Bay in the kayak. It was really fun to do some striper drifts in the kayak along a few islands that typically produce in PBs when the tide is moving. I landed a couple barely keepers and called it a day after quite a bit of paddling exercise.

All in all, a fun trip and I'm slowly gaining confidence fishing from these little plastic slay rides. Now it's time for a . Hell, for now I'll take a couple of these bonito that everyone seems to be nailing. See you guys out there on the water. Look for the guy in the white Cobra Marauder that seems confused and out of sorts. I lost my camera so sorry for the blackberry photos - I only took a couple of one of the better stripers from O'Neill and the 1/2 pounder steelhead.

Jon
Attached Images

Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
deepdvr

Sweet report!!! I grew up in the bay area and we would fish all over. A buddy's father caught a hog striper there once while fly-fishing for them. Those are fun, strong fish to catch.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespool View Post
I quickly put everything together but some Jims in a powerboat blazed right up on top of it and it was over before anyone with a little more sense could get nearby.
Don't hate on us cause were faster than you

Sick report! Bet those strippers were fun. Don't worry, there will be yellow tail everywhere soon... very soon. Think north county

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
MalibuJohnny

?

What's a JIM?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Freespool

I was kind of expecting that question after rereading my post. It's so ingrained in my vocabulary with some of my friends that I forget it isn't familiar to most. It's an inside joke that has spread beyond the state's borders with those that commonly use it. It seems to take anywhere it's used. I know it's commonly used in Seattle, Alaska, Colorado, and Jersey at this point. No offense to anyone named Jim.

It was the name of the most ridiculous tourist I've ever seen. My cousin and I were in Yosemite at the top of Glacier Point when we met "Jim" who proceeded to ask many really smart questions such as "Is that Half Dome?" when pointing to the biggest slab of granite in the valley that's shaped like a dome that's been cut in half. He then took photos of his 5 year old son as he hucked rocks off the 1000' cliff down into the valley where people are walking around. It went on and on with this guy so we started telling each other the rest of the weekend not to be a "Jim." It became "What a Jim", etc etc. and just spread from there.
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Dan

solid report. way to get outta town and catch some fish.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

so "Jim" = "Darrell"?
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

AKA Joey (Triviani)