Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Fomen

Windpaddle scout or adventure sails

Hi guys. I haven't posted on here for a while. I was curious if any of you guys own or have used the WindPaddle Scout or Adventure collapsible kayak sails? This was my thinking.... Every day the wind picks up off shore and blows in from the WNW at approximately 300 degrees. It ranges from 4-17+ knots. I own a Hobie PA-12, which makes for a much easier day than a paddle kayak, but still gets exhausting after doing it for prolonged periods. If I could hitch a ride on the wind and cruise back in without much more than lifting a finger, why not? If you launched from the Beach and Tennis Club at La Jolla Shores, and fished the kelp past the point, by the time the wind picked up and you were ready to return, a 300 degree WNW wind will literally make a beeline back to the launch site. Anyone ever used one of these? The Adventure is 47" diameter, and the Scout is 42" in diameter. Here's a link to a YouTube video to see what I'm talking about. I figure the wind in San Diego is ideal for utilizing this sail at the end of the day when we're all beat down from paddling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68_zXpM9r-4

Thanks in advance for the input
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
buddha

Get the hobie sail it is far better. I have a paddle kayak and use a Falcon sail and it is much better than the ones that you posted also.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Fomen

I'm sure the Hobie sail works better, but the Windpaddle sail is very convenient as far as it's portability. It collapses down to 15", and the outer ring is comprised of either fiberglass or spring steel, so it has memory to open to it's functional size with no effort. I'm only looking for a sail to give me a rest on the way back in or to assist me with paddling. I know that more than likely I can't tack very well with it. It's pretty much a uni-directional sail. Also, the Hobie sail is over 3x's the price. I checked out the Falcon sail. It looks like it needs a pretty significant amount of rigging and hardware to set up. I'm just curious if you've used the Windpaddle sail?
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
buddha

No since I used to own a sailboat and enjoyed sailing I wanted a rig that would actually sail in more than just downwind.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote