Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 AM   #1
Kesepton

Suggestion on reel please

Hi, I just recently picked up a rod in a trade and wondering if this would be appropriate for YT/WSB/Hali and what kind of reel to put on it. Or, should I just keep it as a bay rod?

It is a Cousins Raze Rod - 7'9 rated Xfast and Xheavy for 15-25# lines and 2-6oz bait. So its got a lot of backbone and is very stiff.

This was bought originally for throwing large swim baits to LMB. It is very light to hold but being so stiff I am not sure if it would be appropriate for live bait.

For line, i was thinking 40# braid to 15-20# leader for sardines/chovies on something like a saltist 30 or a lexa 300? Or maybe an avet sx if bait? I really dont know... Unless you guys think I might actually be able to pull on a YT or WSB on this, then maybe up to a reel that will be hold more line?

Or, maybe just use it a jig rod?

Im open to any and all suggestions, even if its to just do mono or floro, or just trade it for something more what I need.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Kesepton; 05-03-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #2
surfisher

Lots of guys use lighter sticks and pull on YT/WSB ... Those raze rods should be able to handle just fine. I would go with a saltist, mine has never given me problems.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
octico

+1 on a Saltist I have a few of them both levelwind and traditional conventional
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
goletaslim
Junior

the daiwa saltist hc levelwind is an awesome reel.
goletaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
FullFlavorPike

TLD 15 with 65# braid is a great bait reel for YT

Last edited by FullFlavorPike; 05-03-2016 at 11:09 AM.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
BIG JOAQUIN

go with a low profile baitcaster on that Raze rod. Lexa300HD, Okuma Komodo 364, etc.
BIG JOAQUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Kesepton

One reason I was thinking the lexa was because I wanted to keep it nice and handy. But I honestly will probably be using it for bait mostly. Saltist are cheaper and are always recommend though.

Is there a really a need for more than 200 yards if 65# braid? Im hoping this setup will hold me over till I get a proper weight rod and reel. Then be more of s back up.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote