Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Shimano Penn
Junior

Any interest in a SD Bay based Mother Ship?

Hey guys, I have not been active here since I sold my PA14 and bought a Grady. Sorry for that but I just felt too limited; I used to fish at La Jolla a lot, sometimes I would fish La Jolla, and when I felt really adventurous I would fish La Jolla. I absolutely loved kayak fishing but it just seemed so restricted. I recently came across a boat that is all set up to perform as a mother ship; dingy davit, expansive deck space, comfortable salon and galley and huge bait tank. It could easily take 8-10 maybe 12 yaks to the Coronados or local kelp beds for a day trip or maybe 6 to SCI or tanner for a multi day excursion. LJYT are great but there are YFT, BFT, dorado and more within reach of SD. What do you think? Rates would be perhaps a tad higher than the usual 3/4 to 1.5 day trips on the party boats because there would be loading and unloading of kayaks but there would be extremely "limited loads" compared to those boats. What do you think? Is there a market for this?
Shimano Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
YakAnglerUSMC
Junior

I would definitely be interested in something like that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
YakAnglerUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimano Penn View Post
Hey guys, I have not been active here since I sold my PA14 and bought a Grady. Sorry for that but I just felt too limited; I used to fish at La Jolla a lot, sometimes I would fish La Jolla, and when I felt really adventurous I would fish La Jolla. I absolutely loved kayak fishing but it just seemed so restricted. I recently came across a boat that is all set up to perform as a mother ship; dingy davit, expansive deck space, comfortable salon and galley and huge bait tank. It could easily take 8-10 maybe 12 yaks to the Coronados or local kelp beds for a day trip or maybe 6 to SCI or tanner for a multi day excursion. LJYT are great but there are YFT, BFT, dorado and more within reach of SD. What do you think? Rates would be perhaps a tad higher than the usual 3/4 to 1.5 day trips on the party boats because there would be loading and unloading of kayaks but there would be extremely "limited loads" compared to those boats. What do you think? Is there a market for this?
More info needed, which Grady, size bait tank, overnight accomadations, galley seating, how to store yaks? Thanks.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
Shimano Penn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
More info needed, which Grady, size bait tank, overnight accomadations, galley seating, how to store yaks? Thanks.
No Mako, not my grady, this is a 50 footer with sleeping for 6+ crew but lets start with the day trip idea. Yak storage would be on deck, I'm thinking pool noodles & tie down. Its an expansive forward deck area. 4-5 scoop bait tank, split. We can work on the details, I'm just judging general interest at this point. Again not my boat, just a boat I fished on Saturday that is available for charter and looks to have great potential as a mother ship.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Thanks, details could make it work, would like to here more and sea pictures, engines, bunks, galley, seating and racking for yaks, running speed and charging for our electronics. Leave tommorow night for week in Baja will check it out upon my return. Again thanks for posting.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
jbl_91762

Very Interested especially if it can be done on a weekend. And like others pics and more details...cost estimate?
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #7
Baja_Traveler

If this mother ship can handle Hobie PA's I know I would be interested, as well as many others I'm sure. We are all currently excluded from the very few mother ship charters that go out because they all hand launch over the rail and the PA's are just too heavy.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
If this mother ship can handle Hobie PA's I know I would be interested, as well as many others I'm sure. We are all currently excluded from the very few mother ship charters that go out because they all hand launch over the rail and the PA's are just too heavy.
What he said... I would be up for that.

I have a 20 foot CC that I have been trying to figure out how to get the kayak on board...
Old 05-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
goldenglory18

I'd totally be down for a Mother Ship trip. I would obviously need details and info before committing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I have a 20 foot CC that I have been trying to figure out how to get the kayak on board...
Challenge accepted! LOL
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #10
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:

Tow it!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:

I could show you how to do it, but then I would have to fish with you. You don't fish Baja and I don't fish California. Bummer, Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 05-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #12
Shimano Penn
Junior

Okay folks like the title says I was just judging interest, I will pass this along to the boat owner as well as a link to this thread and if he is interested I'm sure he will provide all the details requested. I'm not involved, just happened across a boat that I thought would be perfect. More or less just playing match maker here, it's not my place to offer specifics.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
BIG JOAQUIN

Interested. You Might have the opportunity to be a sole source supplier with the islander not doing it anymore.
30lb - Penn Carnage 800M/Penn Fathom 25N Star
40lb - Penn Carnage II 700H/Penn Fathom 30 LD2
BIG JOAQUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #14
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JOAQUIN View Post
Interested. You Might have the opportunity to be a sole source supplier with the islander not doing it anymore.
Islander is doing it, just raised their prices.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote