Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
Waljojo
old

Traveling Fishing Kit?

Hey Yall,

Coming to San Diego for a wedding and got a fishing pass from the wife for a day in La Jolla. I'm looking for whatever advice yall have to offer. I've fished LJ once before and found a rental place that will drop the boats and pick them up from the launch. Only drawback is that they're scrambler's and have relatively short legs and yall have some fair distances to cover. Anyone have some (relatively) near shore numbers you want to share? I'm also planning to fish at less than prime time (mid-day to the evening) But hey, "best time to fish is when you can" and that's the time I got.

My traveling kit so far is:
Portable FF/GPS, vhf, (2)rods riding in a bait tube, (2)reels, lip gripper, some iron, jig heads, swimbaits, some lead, 5/0 hooks, swivels, split rings, a couple of sabiki rigs, inflatable pfd, my seat, knife, pliers, leashes, some rope, a crate that folds flat with pvc rod holders, and a drift chute that doubles as my gear bag. Jeez, I pack like Mark Sosin. So what'd I miss?

Is a shorty sufficient? Excuse my ignorance but I'm coming from Portland, OR and I don't get in the water up here without a dry suit. Anybody wanna show Barney and Friends your pond?
I'd be more than happy to reciprocate when you found yourself up here (Great Salmon, Steelhead, Sturgeon, Smallies, and Walleye and no surf launches )

Thanks,
Wali
Waljojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
yakinitup
Oregunder

The OEX store in La Jolla has an extreme and an X-factor with some hatches and rod holders on them call ahead and ask for availability because I'm pretty sure they only have a couple. Those models are more capable in thier range if you're still considering kayaks. They'll also put them on the beach for ya.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=1732

That's a post that will show you the boundries of the reserve that you'll want to stay out of while you have lines in the water.
Seems like you've pretty much covered most of the important gear, judging by how the weather has been lately I don't think you'll be needing your shorty. I'd recommend some layers, like maybe a sweatshirt you don't have a lot of feelings for at the most, but since you'll be out in mid-day, I'm thinking a t-shirt and some board shorts will do the trick.
As for locations, most days if you head straight out to sea from the launch, after about 1 3/4 miles you'll find at least a few people out there in the more popular spots and that could give you a good idea of where you want to be.

-Jeff
yakinitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
lamb

Anyone with “lj” in their nick gets my attention…

It looks like you are packing up everything I bring to La Jolla trips, plus some more… You're good.

Some folks are into the big hooks and would argue... I would bring some smaller hooks as well - 2/0 to 4/0.

Good tip for the reserve – make sure you don’t fish inside.

As far as spots, the whole LJ is one big awesome fishing spot. The name of the game is to figure out where the fish are on any given day anyway. Work the kelp edge and the area West of it (70ish ft depth and deeper), and you’ll be fine.

What time of the year will you be here? That will affect how you’ll be fishing.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Waljojo
old

Thumbs up

Out of the preserve? Check
Smaller hooks? Check
OEX? Checking
When? Day after tomorrow (great planning ahead huh?)

Thanks yall!!

Wali
Waljojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
ski

I find that a cheapo pair of rain pants and jacket is all you need for cold protection this time of the year. Water temp should be in the upper 50 to lo 60 range. Straight out to slightly south of the launch @ around 1 mile will put you in 100-125 feet. South of the launch is where the kelp is.
Mark
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Sent you a PM Wali...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote