Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #41
salty pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
Thank you. I am very happy with my selection. I picked it up from the shop today. Still waiting on FF from Hobie and my two front rod holders. But I went and grabbed it anyway. Brought it home and put in the garage. I should have cleaned it out first but it's in. I know Hobie says to lay upside down or on side for storage. My question is how long can I leave laying on hull. I put it on two plastic tables so I can start working on it. Also the foam blocks that are inside the hull. They are zip tied in place. Should I remove them or leave them?
pa has a flat bottom it is just fine to store it on the bottom.

As far as saltwater gear goes get stuff that has high saltwater tolerance.

reels that I use and abuse are the daiwa saltist 40h. saltist is considered mid range as far as pricing goes.

shimano tld star 15/30s is a less expensive reel that will handle being doused in saltwater.

I have brought in many fish on the ugly stik tiger 7' 20-50lb line rating. you cant beat it for 60 bucks. another nice rod is kencor graf ocean series same size and line rating as the ugly stik more like 100 bucks.

have fun shoping for all your gear. maybe stop buy turners or sport chalet they a good selection of fishing gear. blue water tackle is a bit overpriced but they do have a used selection of gear.

Eli
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #42
salty pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDCUT View Post
Hey guys, not to jack the thread or anything but I'm a noob and up here in Temecula too. I just recently bought my son and I a couple of OK Ultras from OEX Mission Bay. We've busy planning and rigging and we've also arrived at the FF phase. On that note, I purchased a Lowrance Elite-4 DSI but I'm thinking about returning it and going with regular 2D sonar. I'm afraid the DSI won't workout real well if I find myself in deeper waters. Any suggestions on finders? Also, if you guys end up meeting up for an impromptu "tech day", I'd love to take part. I'm still a noob but i know about good beer
I say send it back and get a traditional color ff.

if either of you guys need help setting up your ff let me know. good beer motivates me
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #43
COLDCUT
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty pirate View Post
I say send it back and get a traditional color ff.

if either of you guys need help setting up your ff let me know. good beer motivates me
I sent the DSI back and opted for the regular Elite-4. It should be here by the tenth. I'll take a look at it once it arrives and try to decide how many beers it will take to complete an install.
COLDCUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #44
svendawg

meet & greet

Quote:
I have been going back and forth with the rod and reel stuff. Some say get good stuff and some say wait on it. I going to keep looking around. Going to try to go mid grade. But try to get low level costing for it.

It is pretty cool to see we have a handful of guys here in Temecula area. We should get a meet and greet (beers) setup. With the others in this area. We could all start going fishing together.
If you do get a meet & greet together for the guys & gals in the Temecula area, count me in, I live in Wildomar.
Welcome to the Kayak fishing community
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #45
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
If you do get a meet & greet together for the guys & gals in the Temecula area, count me in, I live in Wildomar.
Welcome to the Kayak fishing community
We should start another thread for getting the south end of the IE together. I will post up something later. And we can work out time and location.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #46
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

So I get a call today from the shop I bought my yak from. They call and say hobie is not carrying the unit I ordered any longer. That there is a new and improved unit being released. That unit won't be in my hands until mid February. All my other parts are in. Which sucks cause I want to be fishing by then. At least I still have time to get everything else. Also the price of unit is to be going up. And since hobie and them made the mistake. I don't need to pay the difference. So I guess that is my silver lining. All my other parts came in. So I guess I can get those picked up and start installing. I just wanted to mount FF first. Then install everything else around it. I did want to ask if any of you can post a picture of your PA? Looking for some ideas on placement of parts. Also if you have a DIY storage rack or stand for storing in garage. The warden is already crying about the tables.

Last edited by Bert Vega; 01-08-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #47
COLDCUT
Junior

Quote:
Also if you have a DIY storage rack or stand for storing in garage. The warden is already crying about the tables.
Bert, I built this DIY PVC stand for when I need to work on the yak. It was cheap and is more than sturdy enough. Best of all, it folds up and tucks neatly away when not in use. As far as permanent storage, I use the Surf To Summit nylon wall hanger. It works well and was a cheap option. The only downside is it's a bear hanging the kayak in the straps by yourself. I'm also not sure how the PA would fit in the straps. Let me know if you need pictures. http://yakfish.isaac-online.com/diy-...c-kayak-stand/
COLDCUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #48
salty pirate

I built that same stand but used 1.5" and put wheels on it.

What parts do you plan on installing?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #49
kobra

Hey Bert, not getting your ff right away might not be a bad thing. The best suggestion I have is to check out other rigs. See where and how other ffs are set up to get an idea of where you would like yours. Go fishing and visualize if it might be in the way for your style of fishing. Like if it might get in the way of your rod while fishing, or when netting or gaffing a fish, or entering or exiting your yak. Better to be sure before you mount it than having to move it later.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #50
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

That stand will work perfect. Especially with putting wheels on it. Salty pirate can you post a pic of yours? With the wheel attachment. And thank you for the advise Kobra. Point well taken. I know I want FF as close to me as possible. Going to put it on ram ball so I can push it down if I need too. I see allot of people mounting it on the sail mast. I like it there out of the way. Just concerned on how far away that is. And being able to read the screen. Don't have the best eye site either. As far as parts I am putting on. Installing 2 rocket launchers at the front,Trolly line, rear rod extenders, and FF stuff when that gets in.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #51
ful-rac
Emperor

I have mine attached to the yak attack gear track works very well, and it is in reach. You should consider mounting on the gear track.

The plus with the gear track is that you can mount your accessories to them cleanly, and remove them and switch them depending upon what kind of fishing you are doing at the time.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #52
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Thank you. That is a great idea and a sweet picture.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #53
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

So is the pic really to show the FF, or just another reminder of how the Team Sewer boys play?! Either way pretty awesome.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #54
StinkyMatt

Tony has no shame!

Nice little stocker trout!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #55
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Tony has no shame!

Nice little stocker trout!

Yep gottem on my downrigger. That's how we roll at Irvine lake!

Old 01-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #56
Lipripper92592

PA and Revo storage

I have two strips of angle iron bolted to the ceiling trusses in my garage. Holes drilled, hooks or loops, for tie down straps. The first few times I had a flat head lifting that PA, but it's pretty simple, slip the nose in the first loop, then tail in the second loop. Tighten the front a bit, then the back, switching back and forth until it is flat against the ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (43.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (44.6 KB, 141 views)
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #57
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

That is a slick way to store your yak. Did you just lag them into beams?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #58
Lipripper92592

Quote:
That is a slick way to store your yak. Did you just lag them into beams?
Yup....lagged in, if I remember correctly it was 7 3" lag bolts for each strip.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #59
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

So I whipped this up with scrap pieces I found in my company yard. 2 pieces of 3" sch 80 PVC. Going to add wheels and deck the bottom. Took me all of 30 min before PA was sitting on top of it. Going to take PA out for a shake down run this morning some where by the house. Probably go to Elsinore. Can't wait to try this thing out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.6 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Bert Vega; 01-11-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #60
kobra

Good job Bert. Enjoy your shake down run.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote