Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
kayakfisherman

Todd!!

Dude! I'm no knife expert but I do know this, there's a different knife for different jobs.

Q: Which knife? Really, you need these three, boning, breaking and chef's. Of the three two are must haves for fisherman, the breaking knife and chef's knife.

The breaking knife is similar to the boning knife since it's narrow and allows you to follow bones while filleting. But in addition the breaking knife has a curved end which gives you leverage to easily break small bones. And, the curved breaking knife makes easy work of skinning fish.

The chef's knife is the universal cooking knife. Chopping, cutting and even skinning fishing is possible with a chef's knife. And as your confidence grows in the kitchen your dependence of the chef's knife will grow as well.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
kayakfisherman

Darren, it's your lucky day!!

I will share a secret with you. Ready? Spanish Mackerel.

Q: Baitfish good to eat? You bet! Ok, I'll admit, green back macks are strong tasting fish and very third world acquired. But Spanish mackerel are nothing but white flakey meat!!! Cleaning them is easy. No scales, just pinch the gills out and gut them. Now dip them in seasoned flour and fry them until golden colored. Squeeze lemon and get ready to go to heaven!!!

Trust me, in the Med, they would easily pay 20 euros a pound for Spanish Mackerels.

Fishermans Belly will do a Spanish Mackerel someday!!
Old 09-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
kayakfisherman

Mark, aka Fish11

Congrats on figuring out Bonito are great!!

Q: Bonito, can I cook them in unusual ways? Mark your timing is perfect. I'm spending my Sunday putting the final touches on my new video-recipe: Bonito Parmesan. Fresh bread crumb covered bonito, homemade red wine tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. Unusual? Let's say, this is News to the Italians!
Old 09-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
kayakfisherman

Murray,

I could give you specifics. But that's not what you need.

Q: Tartar sauce? Spices? First let's talk about tartar sauce. Figuring out what you like and how to create that. This is what cooking is all about.

Here's a simple example, if you ask me how do a build a home, I'd say, first learn the basics of home building, then add what you like.

So, tartar sauce usually has mayo, vinegar, lemon, relish, garlic, salt, pepper.
Create a mixture using these ingredients. Make sure the mayo and the acid are one part to one part. Then start adding other ingredients you like from your past. Capers? Relish? Garlic? Onions? As you build, taste. Ask yourself, is there enough tang (acid), enough creaminess (mayo, yogurt, olive oil)?, and is there enough texture (relish, chopped onion, chopped capers or garlic)?. Go from there and recreate your favorite tartar sauce, or be like me and always create something different that is structurally sound.

Spices? The easiest way to learn spices is to cook meals following other countries cuisines. Learn which spices go with Mexican dishes, Italian dishes, Asian dishes. Then apply these spices to your specific fish dish. This is a great way to learn to use spices and HERBS. Go Murray, go!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Congrats on figuring out Bonito are great!!

Q: Bonito, can I cook them in unusual ways? Mark your timing is perfect. I'm spending my Sunday putting the final touches on my new video-recipe: Bonito Parmesan. Fresh bread crumb covered bonito, homemade red wine tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. Unusual? Let's say, this is News to the Italians!
Thanks Yanni, I can't wait for the Bonito Parmesan recipe. Sound super yummy!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Dude! I'm no knife expert but I do know this, there's a different knife for different jobs.

Q: Which knife? Really, you need these three, boning, breaking and chef's. Of the three two are must haves for fisherman, the breaking knife and chef's knife.

The breaking knife is similar to the boning knife since it's narrow and allows you to follow bones while filleting. But in addition the breaking knife has a curved end which gives you leverage to easily break small bones. And, the curved breaking knife makes easy work of skinning fish.

The chef's knife is the universal cooking knife. Chopping, cutting and even skinning fishing is possible with a chef's knife. And as your confidence grows in the kitchen your dependence of the chef's knife will grow as well.
Yanni,

Right on! Thanks for the reply and info on knife options. I've been using the same rapala fillet knife for a decade + a solid sharpening stone and I think its time to upgrade.

Second question, I really liked the CA style, yellowtail gravlaxs idea and thought "what other recipes or ideas do you have for salt cured fish?
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote