Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
MaskedFisherDude

Pro anglers and the mirage drive.

Hello everybody,
New guy here and decided to join after not being able to find or get the answers I was looking for. I’ve used the search feature but still no help. I finally got the okay to get a kayak from the wifey, I have the pro anglers as the only boat I want to get. Still haven’t decided on the 12 or 14. This past weekend I went to demo a 14 and the first thing I thought was how awkward it felt to pedal. Has anyone else felt like this? Is this something you get used to after making adjustments to the seat and pedals? I was only in the boat for about a half hour and did move the drive closer to me but it just didn’t feel right. This is a deal breaker for me if it doesn’t get better. Anyone have input on this? Second, I’ve seen people say they have gotten deals on accessories when the buy a Kayak what kind of deal are we taking about? 10-20%? I’ll be looking to get a cart and a few other things that seem mandatory and possibly a bait tank. Any information would be appreciated since I know no one that owns a kayak.
Thanks, Andrew
MaskedFisherDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

The motion is different from a bike, so it will feel different because it is. Just like the first time using a conventional reel would feel awkward after only having used spinning reels.

Adjustments will make a lot of difference. Your leg muscles will "learn" the motion and the awkward feeling will fade.

Talk to Andy at OEX on your package-deal question. They bring us this site free-to-the-user, so start your shopping there. Don't skimp on the safety gear. Other stuff you can get a little at a time as your experience builds.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
MaskedFisherDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
The motion is different from a bike, so it will feel different because it is. Just like the first time using a conventional reel would feel awkward after only having used spinning reels.

Adjustments will make a lot of difference. Your leg muscles will "learn" the motion and the awkward feeling will fade.

Talk to Andy at OEX on your package-deal question. They bring us this site free-to-the-user, so start your shopping there. Don't skimp on the safety gear. Other stuff you can get a little at a time as your experience builds.
I think what might have just messed me up was riding a bike about in hour before I took the yak out. I was planning to go up to OEX this weekend to talk to them. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

My recommendation is definitely the PA14. Your gonna have to learn how to move it and transport it. Once you figure that out, you should be fine. It will be a bit more difficult than a smaller lighter kayak, but the benefit is that you will have an awesome platform to fish on.

The motion has never been awkward for me, so long as the seat and the pedals are adjusted to to the right spot for you. You will definitely appreciate being able to move and or manuver while using your phone, drinking a beer, eating your lunch fighting a fish, etc...

Of course the only reason I wouldn't get a proangler if I was you....would be that you fish a couple times don't catch anything and quit out of frustration. If your serious about fishing from your kayak, do it! If not then you should probably go another direction. It's alot of money to spend on something that's gonna sit in your garage permanently.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
Denis_Ruso

I would agree with the above, improper position of the seat or the drive can be a factor. Having my legs that high up on a kayak absolutely felt a bit awkward at first. For me making sure the seat was adjusted properly made it feel much more natural.

The legs of the seat should be kicked down, and then the angle of the seat back needs to be adjusted for comfort. See how that goes when you are at OEX.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
MaskedFisherDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
My recommendation is definitely the PA14. Your gonna have to learn how to move it and transport it. Once you figure that out, you should be fine. It will be a bit more difficult than a smaller lighter kayak, but the benefit is that you will have an awesome platform to fish on.

The motion has never been awkward for me, so long as the seat and the pedals are adjusted to to the right spot for you. You will definitely appreciate being able to move and or manuver while using your phone, drinking a beer, eating your lunch fighting a fish, etc...

Of course the only reason I wouldn't get a proangler if I was you....would be that you fish a couple times don't catch anything and quit out of frustration. If your serious about fishing from your kayak, do it! If not then you should probably go another direction. It's alot of money to spend on something that's gonna sit in your garage permanently.

I have a truck with a six foot bed. That turns to eight with the tail gate down. If I do get the 14 I will get a bed extender that connects to the hitch. I also have plans to build a PVC rack the the bed and a wood and PVC rack at home to store it. I’ve been a life long bass angler I’ve fished in tournaments and clubs since I was a kid. I did have a bass boat but sold it when I got married to have money for a down payment. Since then I’ve been fishing out of my float tube when I can. It’s just time for a upgrade. I also live in Mission Viejo and have access to the lake so I can really learn and get comfortable on the yak.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedFisherDude View Post
I have a truck with a six foot bed. That turns to eight with the tail gate down. If I do get the 14 I will get a bed extender that connects to the hitch. I also have plans to build a PVC rack the the bed and a wood and PVC rack at home to store it. I’ve been a life long bass angler I’ve fished in tournaments and clubs since I was a kid. I did have a bass boat but sold it when I got married to have money for a down payment. Since then I’ve been fishing out of my float tube when I can. It’s just time for a upgrade. I also live in Mission Viejo and have access to the lake so I can really learn and get comfortable on the yak.

When I had a pa14, I never used a bed extender with a 6 ft bed and tailgate down. Never had a problem
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
MaskedFisherDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
When I had a pa14, I never used a bed extender with a 6 ft bed and tailgate down. Never had a problem
That’s good to know.
Thanks.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Mahigeer

The first time I used an Outback, I did not know about how to adjust the pedal reach. It was not a good ride.

Then when I learned, it got easier. The taller you are the higher the number setting.

The legs should not be extended full without a bend in the knees.

The angle of the seat back is important too.

I think a test drive at Sunset OEX is a must first step.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #10
jorluivil

I've owned 3 kayaks and the PA14 is by far the best one I've owned. Yes, its bulky, heavy and expensive but it’s also comfortable, it handles really well, you have a shit load of deck space and you can catch fish while you sleep. Depending on where I’m fishing, how far I’m driving and how lazy I am sometimes I opt to just throw in the back of my bed, other times I will put it on the rack, either way its pretty easy to handle. I doubt you will be disappointed with the 14 but I’m certain you will regret not buying it if you decide to go with the 12.fficeffice" />>>

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
MaskedFisherDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I've owned 3 kayaks and the PA14 is by far the best one I've owned. Yes, its bulky, heavy and expensive but it’s also comfortable, it handles really well, you have a shit load of deck space and you can catch fish while you sleep. Depending on where I’m fishing, how far I’m driving and how lazy I am sometimes I opt to just throw in the back of my bed, other times I will put it on the rack, either way its pretty easy to handle. I doubt you will be disappointed with the 14 but I’m certain you will regret not buying it if you decide to go with the 12.fficeffice" />>>
If all goes well I will be picking up a 14 Saturday.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
TCS

Why only consider the PA? Before you commit I'd suggest you test drive a revo an and outback as well. The sitting position is a little different and there are other pros and cons to consider.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
ceotiben
Junior

Also the seat is very important for each Hobie. I didn't like how the seat is on the Compass vs Outback+PA.
ceotiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #14
TJones

you guys are busting up my bash session

but since we are going off topic, I just bought a PA 14 from Fastlane. took it out once and loved it. I had all of the mentioned kayaks and I must agree, that the PA 14 blows away the others on open water. all around general use, the outback is the most versatile. but when loaded down, the PA because of its weight capacity IMO glides better than the outback.and yes, taking a nap on water was not an issue. pull drive, lift seat up, and spread out.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #15
equyst
Banned

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #16
TJones

how tall are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedFisherDude View Post
Hello everybody,
New guy here and decided to join after not being able to find or get the answers I was looking for. I’ve used the search feature but still no help. I finally got the okay to get a kayak from the wifey, I have the pro anglers as the only boat I want to get. Still haven’t decided on the 12 or 14. This past weekend I went to demo a 14 and the first thing I thought was how awkward it felt to pedal. Has anyone else felt like this? Is this something you get used to after making adjustments to the seat and pedals? I was only in the boat for about a half hour and did move the drive closer to me but it just didn’t feel right. This is a deal breaker for me if it doesn’t get better. Anyone have input on this? Second, I’ve seen people say they have gotten deals on accessories when the buy a Kayak what kind of deal are we taking about? 10-20%? I’ll be looking to get a cart and a few other things that seem mandatory and possibly a bait tank. Any information would be appreciated since I know no one that owns a kayak.
Thanks, Andrew
play with the seat adjustments. most people who have tried or had both would prefer the 14 ft over the 12 ft ft. I will say the 12 ft handles the surf better than most people think. that was before they added the higher rails and you could reasonably paddle the kayak. I played around in Lj surf on 2-3' + day and was kinda surprised. yes, I got destroyed a few times. .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #17
MaskedFisherDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Why only consider the PA? Before you commit I'd suggest you test drive a revo an and outback as well. The sitting position is a little different and there are other pros and cons to consider.
Coming from a bass boat I want to be able to stand and fish comfortably. I was able to watch a guy about my size fish the other day, watching him set the hook and the boat barley move made me think that it was the boat I’d be the most comfortable in. I also have a three year old son that I’d like to take out on the lake and peddle around with.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
MaskedFisherDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
play with the seat adjustments. most people who have tried or had both would prefer the 14 ft over the 12 ft ft. I will say the 12 ft handles the surf better than most people think. that was before they added the higher rails and you could reasonably paddle the kayak. I played around in Lj surf on 2-3' + day and was kinda surprised. yes, I got destroyed a few times. .
I’m 5’11” probably 180 pounds. I know I will have to play with the seat and maybe move the peddles towards me. I just have to get on the water and mess with it.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #19
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
The first time I used an Outback, I did not know about how to adjust the pedal reach. It was not a good ride.

Then when I learned, it got easier. The taller you are the higher the number setting.

The legs should not be extended full without a bend in the knees.

The angle of the seat back is important too.

I think a test drive at Sunset OEX is a must first step.
Regarding pdeal length, I followed this advice from several other sources. 2017 new model outback. I was “bottoming out” the pedal on each stroke, and after two trips noticed that the tiny Peg that holds the split ring ( The one that holds the fin pins in place) against the body had been completely sheared off, and the split rings had been mangled.

Not sure if that’s a design flaw in this specific year model, or maybe I was just kicking too hard at the end of the full range of motion, but I switched back to a pedal setting slightly longer, and just hold back from Fully straightening my legs. Curious if anybody else has had a similar experience.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #20
YakDout
Brandon

You should adjust your pedals so your legs can pretty much get fully extended, and just shy of bottoming out. Its not a design flaw, just have to be adjusted properly.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote