Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Staryeye Rockfish Length

Hi, I have been fishing outside of Newport Harbor and catching Staryeye but I don't know what the regs say about min length. I have searched but its very confusing the way rockfish are documented. Just hoping someone out there knows for sure. Thanks.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Mahigeer

Here is what I could find on F&W website. Staryeye is not mentioned, but I would guess (need to be verified) it falls in with others.

28.55. Rockfish (Sebastes).
(a) Open areas, seasons, and depth constraints: See Section 27.20 through Section 27.50 for definitions, special closure areas, and exceptions. Take and possession is authorized as follows:
(6) Cowcod Conservation Areas: Open and closed dates and depths constraints as defined by Section 27.50. Only Nearshore Rockfish, and Shelf Rockfish, as defined in subsections 1.91(a)(1) and 1.91(a)(3), may be taken and possessed, except as provided below in subsection (b)(1).
(b) Limit: Ten, within the Rockfish, Cabezon, and Greenling complex (RCG complex, as defined in Section 1.91) limit of 10 fish, in any combination of species, except as provided below.
(1) The limit on bronzespotted rockfish, cowcod, and yelloweye rockfish is zero. These species shall not be taken or possessed as part of the RCG limit.
(2) The limit on canary rockfish is two fish, within the RCG limit.
(3) The limit on black rockfish is three fish, within the RCG limit.
(4) In the Cowcod Conservation Areas (see Section 27.50), the limit on slope rockfish, as defined in subsection 1.91(a)(4), is zero. These species shall not be taken or possessed as part of the RCG limit in the Cowcod Conservation Areas.
(c) Size limit: None.
(d) Method of take: When angling, gear is restricted to not more than two hooks and one line. For purposes of this section, a hook is a single hook, or a double or treble hook with multiple points connected to a common shank.
(e) Fishing rules for rockfish may be changed during the year or in-season by the department under the authority of subsection 27.20(e). See subsection 27.20(f ) for additional information.

I would say, don't keep anything less than 12" just because there is not much meat on smaller sizes.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Ggiannig89

I’m pretty sure there is no size limit on rockfish besides like lingcod
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

sorry I havent got anything to add to what Mahigeer said, but i am curious as to how far out of the harbor you are fishing and where the best launch point is in the harbor? Is it pretty rough getting out of the harbor with chop and boat traffic?

edit: Actually i do have something that may help. There is an app called "Fish Rules" that contains many of the species we fish for here in CA and their regulations in a "card" style presentation. As with anything that isn't directly from fish and game you want to make sure its legit, but I trust it to be inline with the current laws. Here is the screenshot of the card for the fish in question:

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 04-16-2019 at 09:47 AM.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

Starry

As ggianng89 said..."I’m pretty sure there is no size limit on rockfish..." ... "(c) Size limit: None."
There are a few species that are no take..."The limit on bronzespotted rockfish, cowcod, and yelloweye rockfish is zero"
I may keep a small fish sometimes if I have a couple fish that don't seem like they'll make it through the barotrauma or the deep hooking...better in my frying pan than in a seagull...LOL
When rockfishing, you should have a release device with you for sending those little guys back down...anything from an upside down hook tied at the bend of the hook, to a crate, or one of the fancy decender devices. The DFW has changed the depth limit to 450', due to the use of defending devices by a lot of sport fishermen and party boats. I like the crate method for ease of release and multiple fish in the basket...and on the PA there's plenty of room for it.

Those Starries can be pretty aggressive...this guy bit a jig as big as him...

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 04-16-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Starry

Thanks for all the replies. As for where I catch them...I have just started fishing deep water and since Newport Harbor has 200ft depths within just .5 miles of the harbor entrance I decided to start there. As for difficulty getting out, if you go early and during the week it is quite easy and relaxing. If you go later in the morning or afternoon on a weekend during the summer... be sure you have a good life insurance policy. As for release devices, I have decided to do the upside down hook method. I have an Outback and lack extra storage so I decided against the crate (though I believe that is probably the best method). While fishing last week I think I killed two of the fish I caught so I did not want to go out again without a plan for that situation. I looked up an old thread on this site about the subject that had these and other options. It was great reading.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Mahigeer

Too early now, but next year at Fred Hall Show, stop by NOAA booth.

They give away release devices for free.

Also check their "Ethical Angling" brochure. You may recognize a familiar face.

Wink, wink.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
FoodGeekFish

Fish Grip DIY descender

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/reco..._HowToMake.pdf
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
Saba Slayer

The reverse hook with the barb flattened is a lot easier to rig and use for rockfish release...IMHO...

Old 04-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
The reverse hook with the barb flattened is a lot easier to rig and use for rockfish release...IMHO...

[img]http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_51551.jpg[img]
So you tie the line directly to the hook part of the hook, crimp the barb down, hook the fish and send it down with some weight on that swivel, then pull the hook free once you've got about 100 yards or so of line out?
Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #11
Saba Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
So you tie the line directly to the hook part of the hook, crimp the barb down, hook the fish and send it down with some weight on that swivel, then pull the hook free once you've got about 100 yards or so of line out?
Yea...so simple...you slip the hook in the top lip of the fish and drop him as deep as you feel necessary, then just give the line a yank and he'll pop right off...

Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #12
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Yea...so simple...you slip the hook in the top lip of the fish and drop him as deep as you feel necessary, then just give the line a yank and he'll pop right off...
Very cool thanks 👊