Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
jumpinjoemoreno

Questions about la jolla

A buddie and I plan on heading out to LJ on Monday going to try kayaking for the first time. We plan on bringing the yaks on a trailer. Anyone know if there is an area I can park my truck n trailer?
jumpinjoemoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
MrM

I don't (never made the trip that far south) But I will say this... Pack LIGHT. I'd practice the surf launches once or twice with nothing before heading out. It'd suck to lose all your gear on the first outing.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
jumpinjoemoreno

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
I don't (never made the trip that far south) But I will say this... Pack LIGHT. I'd practice the surf launches once or twice with nothing before heading out. It'd suck to lose all your gear on the first outing.

Thanks for the insight bud, will definitely try that out
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
salty pirate

get there early or you got a long walk. park on the street. oh and post a fishing report in the buy, sell, trade
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
ctfphoto

You can park in the parking lot by the lifeguard station but I would advice getting there early when spaces are available. There is also street parking.

Check the swell charts, if it is 1 foot like its been, then don't worry one bit about surf launching and landing as it is a cakewalk.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
jumpinjoemoreno

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the tips and insight my buddie is throwing me straight into the fire on this one, can't believe I'm entertaining it. Will def post a report, hopefully we don't get skunked
Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
coffeebean16
Junior

i was new once

you gave no indication of your experience level so ill go with the idea that you are absolutely new.

fist off make a leash for everything you would like to keep when you flip over.

wear a pfd. getting back in the boat can get tiring if you haven't practiced. i ended up out of the boat for about 15 minutes while my budy and i figured out how to get two people back on my tandem. we drew a crowd of kayakers but the pfd made the difference between needing help and providing some entertainment to the kayakers that were willing to help.

study the rule book, and bring it. ive seen DFG sitting on the beach waiting for returning kayakers.

wear appropriate sun protection.

parking is at a premium, i would recommend showing up at O dark thirty if you bring a trailer.

be careful of an incoming tide while your vehicle is on the beach. you will be famous if you get stuck.

bring a compass(saved me in the fog before i had a GPS) and a GPS. figure out where it is legal to fish these days and mark it in the gps.

if you have a marine radio bring it and surf the channels. you might be able to figure out where the bite is at.

bring water its hot out there.

tether your sunglasses or you might not bring them back.

get a dry box for your cell phone and car keys

when you take off and land, look for equipment in the water. i helped another guy on this board and got free beer.

i learned some of this the hard way, and the rest i learned here. best of luck and if i can help hit me up.
dave
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean16 View Post
you gave no indication of your experience level so ill go with the idea that you are absolutely new.

wear a pfd. getting back in the boat can get tiring if you haven't practiced. i ended up out of the boat for about 15 minutes while my budy and i figured out how to get two people back on my tandem. we drew a crowd of kayakers but the pfd made the difference between needing help and providing some entertainment to the kayakers that were willing to help.

study the rule book, and bring it. ive seen DFG sitting on the beach waiting for returning kayakers.

parking is at a premium, i would recommend showing up at O dark thirty if you bring a trailer.

be careful of an incoming tide while your vehicle is on the beach. you will be famous if you get stuck.

bring a compass(saved me in the fog before i had a GPS) and a GPS. figure out where it is legal to fish these days and mark it in the gps.

if you have a marine radio bring it and surf the channels. you might be able to figure out where the bite is at.

when you take off and land, look for equipment in the water. i helped another guy on this board and got free beer.

i learned some of this the hard way, and the rest i learned here. best of luck and if i can help hit me up.
dave
Like!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
jumpinjoemoreno

Red face

Wow folks on this forum are acually really helpful. And yes I never not once sat my ass in a kayak so I expect to wipe out afew dozen times. Been looking at the regs and have those down for the most part, but I will be sure to print them out at work and bring them along just in case. Any more wisdom is really appreciated thanks a million.

-Joey-
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
ctfphoto

If you are prone to seasickness then get "The Patch" as it works 100% of the time for me.

Have all you tackle and poles set up at home you don't want to set up on the water.

If you are fishing the kelp bring something to tie off to the kelp to prevent drifting.

Enjoy your time on the water as this is one effing fun sport.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
slobslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean16 View Post

dave
Nicely said... Leash everything down and I mean everything! You will flip eventually so just be prepared
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjoemoreno View Post
Wow folks on this forum are acually really helpful. And yes I never not once sat my ass in a kayak so I expect to wipe out afew dozen times. Been looking at the regs and have those down for the most part, but I will be sure to print them out at work and bring them along just in case. Any more wisdom is really appreciated thanks a million.

-Joey-
This might help
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
T-Rex

As coffeebean16 said, if you're bringing a trailer, get there early like "O dark thirty". A buddy and I used to lauch a Zodiac there and a lot of times trying to find a parking spot for car and trailer after 7:00 a.m. was a hassle.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
mtnbykr2

watch the swell this weekend, I heard it is coming...
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
FARRIER

If in doubt please ask. Introduce yourself to someone before you barragge them with questions too. Most will be very willing to help. We have all been that dude on the beach just clueless and intimidated. Some still feel that way long into the hobby. Hope you slay em.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
watch the swell this weekend, I heard it is coming...
Looks that way, may have to change plans and go early fri am and again early wed after it dies down.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
taggermike

Is this your first time yak fishing or first time in a kayak? LJ is not to tough but You may want to start in a bay and then try the surf with no or very little gear. It's a decent paddle for a first timer just to get out of the reserve and landing through the legions of rental kayaks requires some skill and patience. That said, some times just jumping in is kinda fun too. God luck. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking just follow the guys in the big kayak!

DSCF0256.jpg

IMAG1825-Edit.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
Poxy Boggards

I a relative nube, but good advice above. Make sure to leash everything. I was there this last Tuesday and saw a guy in a pro angler roll while launching.

Prepare to get wet while launching and landing, especially landing. Make sure to bring a towel to dry off, and a dry set of clothes for the ride home.

Study the sets before heading out. Watch for the break in sets, and be ready to paddle past the surf zone as quickly as you can.

I would highly recomend launching from a protected bay area and getting used to the kayak and paddeling before you try and surf launch with a bunch of gear. Even if you have all of your stuff leashed, saltwater and sand in your reels is no good.

Make sure to bring sunblock, and don't forget to reapply. Water is also key. I like to freeze a large bottle or two, that way you have cold water all day long.

Good luck out there and let us know how you do!
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
coffeebean16
Junior

1st time

i made my first trip in a kayak and my first trip to la jolla at the same time.

i was also solo, not wise, but it worked out. i ended up swimming within 15 minutes of launch. a honey bee was very interested in me a half mile out to sea.

the big swell that is predicted should be of concern to you if you are new.

at the launch because you could get pummeled by larger than normal waves. this could be looked at as fun though. its all a perspective thing.

a big swell on the open water could make you sick on your first trip. i got some mean vertigo the last time i was out in a big swell. tying knots without looking down from the horizon is an experience.

personally i wouldn't recommend the weekend. it seems that the pacific ocean isn't big enough when everyone is off work. i got a yak cause i didn't like the cattle boat experience.

best of luck and any questions ask.
dave