Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
BT

bait cage suspenders

I purchased a Promar bait cage suspender the other day and was wondering if anyone has made their own version? I have plenty of bait cages but would rather not spend another $12 a pop for more cages if I can make them myself somehow. Looks like a really good idea and I can’t wait to try it out.

BT

Last edited by BT; 10-14-2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
FISHIONADO

I just use two zip ties to hold my cages in the middle of the net.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I just use two zip ties to hold my cages in the middle of the net.

do you zip tie them across the big ring or the smaller one?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
do you zip tie them across the big ring or the smaller one?
I use a zip tie at both ends of the cage to secure it to the netting in the middle of the smaller ring.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Siebler

Fishionado,

The suspender clips to the outside right of the net to ensure that the bait is always in the center of the net. When you put the bait into the bait Pocket or on the smaller ring such as you do it is possible (and happens more often than not) that the bait will be off centered and the Lobsters can eat the bait without even getting into the net.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Matt
Support your local pangas

I took my standard bait cages and bought some tuna clips, then I just took some dyneema I have and attached that to each tuna clip and took a heavy duty swivel and attached that to the other end of the dyneema strand and VOILA!!! THen I just take the swivel end and attach it to my existing bait cages and clip the tuna clips to the outer ring of my traditional hoop nets and in my eclipse nets...... I now have "portugese" or suspended bait cages!

I have to say that I really, really, really like the suspended cages with the clips, it is way, way, way better than using millions of zipties all the time! It also makes clean up way easier and much simpler when rigging up!!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc View Post
Fishionado,

The suspender clips to the outside right of the net to ensure that the bait is always in the center of the net. When you put the bait into the bait Pocket or on the smaller ring such as you do it is possible (and happens more often than not) that the bait will be off centered and the Lobsters can eat the bait without even getting into the net.
I get it now, this keeps the bait in the center of the larger ring in case the smaller ring doesn't land in the center of the larger ring. I can see how that helps. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Siebler

No problem.

You should Read Jim Salazars new book "Hoopin' It Up". He is a wealth of information. Also watch for more seminars by Jim at OEX.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
dgax65
Guerro Grande

On my new hoop nets I used some high-strength Dyneema-core line and brass snap links to attach the bait cage. Hasn't been tested yet. I hope it will stand up to the pesky scroungers.

I'll go with SS wire if this doesn't work.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I took my standard bait cages and bought some tuna clips, then I just took some dyneema I have and attached that to each tuna clip and took a heavy duty swivel and attached that to the other end of the dyneema strand and VOILA!!!
Hey matt, what do you mean by tuna clips?

And dyneema just sounds expensive??!?!?! What is it?!?! After putting these all together does it cost less than $12, or should I just go to OEX and pick myself up a few more rigged cages? I would like to make four of these in total.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Sweet custom paint/reflection job on the bouys Doug! Unfortunately mine used to look something like that at the beginning of this season. Now they look a little worse for wear and beat up, but they do still float.

I prefer the Danielson nets as they are rigid, but still stack, they are ready to go at all times no set up. They are slightly heavier which allows for better handling in current, deeper drops, and fewer lost bugs due to non straight pulls. They are cheaper than Eclipse nets, and come fully rigged and ready to fish. The smaller hole at the top of the net does not allow for the suspended cage similar to the eclipse.... but zipties seem to work just fine so far... 4 trips and 28 lobsters.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote