Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
old_rookie

Maiden voyage - long - could be boring to some

Picked up a Trident Prowler 13 yesterday from OEX. Rik was helpful and took the time to help me strap it down to my car.

After wondering if it was too windy to go out on the kayak, (I've heard that the wind can be a real pain) I decided to go anyway - at least I'll get some experience. I strap down the kayak on the car and decided to drive Mission Gorge instead of taking Hwy 52 - I just don't have the confidence yet of the strap downs on the roof of the car. I ended up stopping twice on the road to fix things. Both times the strap on the stern slid to one side and got loose. I thought for sure I was following what Rik had done. I continue past Fashion Valley, then get detoured and eventually make it around the sports arena, then back to Mission Bay drive. Headed over to the parking lot across Belmont park - mistake - no parking - then went back over to the Bahia that I saw on the way in, then saw the parking along the back side - found a spot by the grass. Unloaded, set up everything and got on the water. Shoot - forgot my GPS, went back to get that - shoot batteries are dead. Finally, after an hour leaving the house, I'm on the water paddling around. I set up with a Rapala floater and let it troll behind me as I paddle around. I figure this is a good way to get familiar with things and fish. Occasionally I look back at the floater and see it skimming the surface. I reel it in and peel off some of the grass - it should dive instead of stay at the top. I'm cruising around between the hotel and Dana Landing - found an area free of floating kelp. About 30 minutes of this, my reel goes whizzzzzzzzzzzz - oh man, put the paddle away, grab the rod and yank to set the hook - I reel it in feeling nothing tugging. No fish, no grass, nothing - wha??? What was pulling it? Ok, send it back out, paddle more. 10 minutes later, same thing - nada. What gives? Well, another 45 minutes or so I realize I need to call it a day. I promised I'd be home by 6pm. Well, I have a few minutes to cast a little, figured I should at least do that a few times for my first time out. I send it out again for a troll - one last try as I head back to shore. Then whizzzzzz goes the reel - this time I'm going to set that m-f'n hook - I grab the rod and yank it, yes, I feel something on it. End up with a short barracuda - better than a skunk. Nothing like a #25 YT or a #40 WSB, but I'm glad to have caught something rather than nothing.

Now it is time to haul the kayak out of the water, up the sand to the grass.
Take everything down, throw it in the trunk - get the foam blocks ready to put the yak on the roof. I pick it up and lift it up - ouch - bang it into the rear quarter-panel while I lift it to the roof - ended up with a nice 3" scratch. Oh well - goes with the 18" 3 line scratch someone put on it in Vegas. Finally get it strapped on and head east on Hwy 52. Still wondering about this thing on the roof going 60mph. Eyes constantly on the straps. Then I see in the rear-view one of the straps on the stern is way too loose. I pull over and see the hook at the end of the strap is dangling - oh man - I figured out a different way to run the strap over the stern - tighten it down and on my way again. I feel a lot better now with how secure the yak is. For one, with a strap dangling, it didn't fly off - and two, it is strapped on the stern better than before.

If you stuck around - thanks for sticking it out. Looking forward to going out again - someday I'll paddle with the big boys on the big water.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Nic D

sounds like you had a good time.

If you put the tie downs on correctly you can do 80.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
lamb

that's funny. Welcome to kayak fishing. sounds like you spend some time on the water too!
I had the same thing. I very much got into kayak fishing as it seemed so simple, pop your kayak in the water and go. NOT! First times out there I was without something. Then you find a place for everything, keep 'em in the crate (that's what I do), deploy otw, pack in when back.

For the sliding straps, you may be strapping the wrong way. You have to pull it through so the lock bar with teeth can bite into it. You can put it the wrong way so it kind of slides through, never bites.

Other than that, maybe malfunctioning straps? It's unlikely, if they're new. I have had them get all worn out and shinny, so the teeth slide on that one spot. I stopped using them, keep 'em on a side for Baja strapping, more kayaks. Maybe check that too.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
dondon86

Thats very funny! Reminds me exactly of my maiden voyage about a year ago. Driving up and down the 5 at 50mph and looking in the rear view to see if my yak was still there. I also used the foam blocks at first but then added a racheting tie-down strap in between the two. I guess it gives you a lil more reassurance.
dondon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
batty1of3

I usually put my starp through the scupper holes won't keep lslipping that way
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
wavster

...so, how was the maiden voyage (in the water, not getting there)?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
robmandel

couple of helpful hints for the straps.

one, never use the racheting ones on the kayaks. they crank down way too tight.

when using the hand tightening ones, after securing pretty tightly, I tie a coupe of half hitches with the extra strap and cinch down pretty tight to the clasp.

also, when you loop the strap under the bar, keep that loop as close to the edge of the kayak, maybe even slightly angled in. don't have them angled out at all. that gives the kayak no room to move around. also, I use the foam blocks on the cross bar, then loop around the bar. if you feel the straps sliding, wrap a few layers of duct tape around the bars and space it out about a strap width apart.

that gives the straps a groove to fit into and will stop it from sliding.

also, I have the kayak sit right side up on the foam blocks. this creates far less lift or whatever as the kayak point cuts and displaces the air much the same as it does water.

secured with straps like that, shouldn't have any problems at all. but try the half hitch thing with the straps at least. that's gonna help alot.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
old_rookie

I have no rack at all - so the yak is mounted to the roof using two foam blocks and straps.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
For the sliding straps, you may be strapping the wrong way. You have to pull it through so the lock bar with teeth can bite into it. You can put it the wrong way so it kind of slides through, never bites.

Other than that, maybe malfunctioning straps? It's unlikely, if they're new. I have had them get all worn out and shinny, so the teeth slide on that one spot. I stopped using them, keep 'em on a side for Baja strapping, more kayaks. Maybe check that too.
The strap was slipping off the stern. I found a better way to route the strap under the bungie rope at the stern - works much better - doesn't come loose.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
...so, how was the maiden voyage (in the water, not getting there)?
That part was good. Had no problems getting around the small section I covered in the bay. The oars/paddles did get me wetter than I expected. Did catch a cuda while trolling. Looking forward to another outing soon.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
TT5150
Slayer

Nice report, If you ever want company in the San Diego lakes PM me, I hear Hodges is the place to be. I use soft surfboard racks on my car instead of those foam blocks and the kayak doesn't move at all. The racks are about 8 years old and one has a water knott holding it, I am able to drive 80/90 no problem. Check em out those straps are only $35.00.

Ohh yea I think I have the same scratches on both of my cars, LOL.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote