Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Tape Measure

A recent thread made me wake up to the fact that I have not been carrying some required items on my yak when out fishing. Most notably missing have been a landing net and tape measure. I have a net and will start packing it but what is the best kind of measuring device to have on a kayak?

I have seen the vinyl stickers that look tacky and probably will not stay attached to a kayak hull. I have also seen adhesive-backed tapes that are made of sturdy materials but am concerned that these will not stick to the hull either.

An Internet search found some people mounting aluminum rulers to their boats, again, maybe not ideal for a kayak. Still others carved a scale into the plastic or marked a scale with tape or a sharpie.

For the time being, I will commandeer my wife's sewing tape and stick it in a pocket of my PFD but I suspect that there is a better way.

What kind of measuring device works best in our environment? Please weigh in.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Aaron

My aluminum rulers are great. Why wouldn't you like them? They have a clear coat on them to keep the oxidation off, though with some pretty easy maintenance, aluminum does fine in the salt. They were cheap too. A few bucks a piece from my local hardware store. Mounted them on both sides of the boat for convenience with 4 pop rivets in each. I don't even notice they are there until I need them. But the sewing tape will work too and I ran that for a bit...until my wife needed it and killed me b/c the ends had rusted off!

Only other suggestion I can make is to make sure you figure out where you want to mount them while sitting in the boat. I had a friend who's rulers ended up on the sides of the boat b/c that where they fit best, but once you sat in the boat, you couldn't see them at all.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Bpcode3
Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I have seen the vinyl stickers that look tacky and probably will not stay attached to a kayak hull. I have also seen adhesive-backed tapes that are made of sturdy materials but am concerned that these will not stick to the hull either.

Bob
Found and chopped one down to size for my paddle, just slit it at the center and put it on the paddle shaft, and has worked fine for about a year now with no interference. I should mention a little fading due to usage, but still a decent reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2925.jpg (65.4 KB, 289 views)
Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
GregAndrew

I also use a paddle mounted sticker. It does not get any easier to quickly measure a fish than to lay it across the paddle on your lap. You can also put your paddle in the water to check the fish without taking it out. I have worn through a few of them, but they are only a few bucks to replace. Remember to find the part of your paddle that floats up and lays on top naturally to determine where you put the sticker. The first one I applied would always roll to the bottom of the paddle on my lap. Also, clean your paddle with alcohol or similar before you apply the sticker. They are available at Bass Pro in a few types and Cabelas has them too.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
baitcasterboy20

sometimes they have stickers to stick on the side of your kayak, but otherwise just carry a tape measurer or make your own gadget. like glue put a sticker tape measurer on the landing net that you've just decided to bring you should try to keep whatever you don't need in the kayak out
baitcasterboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
bubblehide

I think we should also keep in mind just how we are supposed to measure fish, i.e., from a flat surface. So don't use a tape and follow the contour of the fish. I hope this is clear.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Since I release most of the fish I catch, I do not pay much attention to size limits. I am sure that someone on this forum has all the important size limit info programmed in their brain.

Would someone please post the size limit restrictions of the fish that we typically catch around here.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
lamb

some great ideas. I like the paddle mounted sticker.
Tape measure from Target or Wall-mart works good.
My old gaff is is marked with electrical tape on 12", 22", 24", 28" - works too.

WSB min length is 28", halibut 22", YT has no size limit. When you see how mighty YTs grow to be, you get a kick out of letting little ones go. You've got to be aware of limits on WSB you can keep, as they change 3/15 to 6/15 where you can only keep one.

Nice DFG CA map page that drills you to summed up regs per species for your region:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/fishing_map.asp

South CA

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mapregs5.asp
Old 06-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
frady

I use a tailoring tape. Its light compact, and since its plastic coated it keeps really well. Helps with uncooperative fish who won't stay next to a ruler on the side of the kayak.

Josh
frady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Lets_Fish

My brother and I have gaffs that have a scale marked on them, but i like the idea of a "sticker" on the paddle.

Lamb thanks for the info on size limits.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have never kept a calico but I am curious about size limits, (I am getting into homemade fish tacos and am considering Calicos for this). I know we are supposed to release the really big ones. Any advice on this species. I could not find it listed on the page that Lamb posted.

Bob
Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

C & R the calicos. we need more of them in the water nowadays, and they are avg eating anways IMO. rockfish, red snapper, lings, etc make the best fish tacos !!

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
PescadorPete

I use a thick Sharpie marker to mark each side along the top edge of the yak. A short port to starboard tick mark at the zero mark is about even where I sit and the few necessary lengths are marked forward of that. The length is written at each mark. I can bring the fish alongside, hold the tail at the zero mark and point the nose forward to measure. The marks require an occasional touchup during the season.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post
C & R the calicos. we need more of them in the water nowadays, and they are avg eating anways IMO. rockfish, red snapper, lings, etc make the best fish tacos !!
Ahh, Ling... if I could only catch one. When targeting lings, all I catch is kelp. I will keep at it.

In case anyone is interested, I made a batch of tacos the other day using the various types of fish I had in the freezer. WSB was just OK. I think I over cooked it. YT was about the same but better than the WSB. The best of the batch was some store bought Mahi.

I came up with a killer sauce that is really easy to make. 1/2 cup Mayo, 1 small container, (8 oz I think) of plain yoghurt, a little taco seasoning from Henry's and about two tablespoons of green jalapeno sauce, (from the 99 cent store). Blend it all up. It is the best I have had.

Bob
Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
roadx

mayo and plain yogurt the classic plain mexican white sauce
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Bpcode3
Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
I think we should also keep in mind just how we are supposed to measure fish, i.e., from a flat surface. So don't use a tape and follow the contour of the fish. I hope this is clear.
Yeah, but like GregAndrew mentioned, good for reference and for a quick glance, thats all its used for. You said it yourself, you can't get an exact measurement unless on a flat surface anyways, and thats not until you get back to land. Chances are, if you need to measure to make sure, probably not worth keeping anyways.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #17
batty1of3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpcode3 View Post
Yeah, but like GregAndrew mentioned, good for reference and for a quick glance, thats all its used for. You said it yourself, you can't get an exact measurement unless on a flat surface anyways, and thats not until you get back to land. Chances are, if you need to measure to make sure, probably not worth keeping anyways.
yah thats pretty much how i gauge keepers or not except calicos which i like to kepp only 14-16" one bigger go back to make more

sorry but calicos are some of the best taco fare j
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
SGV Rookie

Measuring stick and bat

I use a thick mop handle cut down to 26". Started by sanding a 1/4 inch flat section along it's length. I marked it every inch by transfering marks with a yard stick. I also wrote the name of the fish for it's size limit at the appropriate size. I sealed it with clear acrylic and tada. It floats, It measures and it also can be used for knocking a fish in it's nogin.
Dave
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGV Rookie View Post
I use a thick mop handle cut down to 26". Started by sanding a 1/4 inch flat section along it's length. I marked it every inch by transfering marks with a yard stick. I also wrote the name of the fish for it's size limit at the appropriate size. I sealed it with clear acrylic and tada. It floats, It measures and it also can be used for knocking a fish in it's nogin.
Dave
Sounds cool. Photo please.

Bob