Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
scooter
Junior

Batteries

Mounting a fish finder, transducer, etc. and had a question about battery type. Thought I saw post of someone who said they used a 9.2V RC car battery to power their FF? I know I'm supposed to have 12 volts but will an RC battery work? Will it hurt the FF? I just figured since I have several of these and they're lighter than the Radio Shack rechargeable 12's I might as well try.
Thanks for any suggestions
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

There have been lots of threads on batteries in this forum. Use the search feature.

As for using your 9V for the fish finder, it will probably work for a short period of time until the voltage drops to about 8.5V which is the minimum that my FF will work at.

You would be much better getting a 12V. There are lots of other sources that offer more variety and better pricing than the Shack. You can also make your own 12V source by using a bunch of AA rechargable batteries.

Kits and waterproof boxes are available at OEX .

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
scooter
Junior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
There have been lots of threads on batteries in this forum. Use the search feature.

As for using your 9V for the fish finder, it will probably work for a short period of time until the voltage drops to about 8.5V which is the minimum that my FF will work at.

You would be much better getting a 12V. There are lots of other sources that offer more variety and better pricing than the Shack. You can also make your own 12V source by using a bunch of AA rechargable batteries.

Kits and waterproof boxes are available at OEX .

Bob
Thanks Bob, I did search but couldn't find the original message. Yeah I like AAs better just because of the weight and cost. I did see your posts on that method. Just wanted to verify the 9.2 V would or wouldn't work. Maybe I could use two of those 9.2 V with about 3/4 charge.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote