Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 AM   #21
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
If you can handle my cooking and my crashes in the surf I will be down there for sure.

It looks like you are just north of Shari's place.

How did you find out that this place was for rent?

Did Shari find it for you?

Do you know of any charter service that would fly to the bahia asuncion airstrip?
In answer to your questions Jeff. The property has been for sale for quite some time. I had seen it advertised mainly on the Baja nomads site. The owner has spent only a month or so out of the year down there but has developed some health problems so needs to be in the US close to a Veterans facility. I had contacted him before our Thanksgiving trip and asked if he was interested in a long term lease. He was amenable to it so I took a look at it while we were down there. I then spent over a month trying to hook up with the guy. He now lives up here in Tustin. Three or four meetings got cancelled because he was in and out of the hospital several times during December. Finally got to meet around New Year and put a deal together.

Doubt you will find a charter flight to Asuncion. There is an organization called Baja Bush Pilots or something like that. Some of them fly into Asuncion and fish with Juan occasionally.

The only conversation I have had with Shari had to do with phone and Internet service. She is probably not aware I am coming down.

My days now are spent wrapping up my affairs and getting rid of some of my larger furniture and putting the rest in storage. I am also teaching my dog Spanish, which is interesting because all I know is how to order breakfast, beer and tequila and where the bathroom is. What more do I need?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #22
Zed
BANNED

You and the dog need to know "premio" or "regalo" for sure.

Mind yer top knot.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #23
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Congratulations Rossman! Happy for you, stoked to see your reports in the near future
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:23 AM   #24
crazywakeboarder

How safe is the 500+ mile drive south of the border?

I have never been to Mexico. All you hear on the news is terrible stuff down there, but then again its the news and horror gets views.

How safe is this particular drive?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:45 AM   #25
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I personally have never had any issues driving in Mexico. When you drive through the cities and villages you have to obey the speed limits and they can be tricky because they can be posted at 90 or 100 kpm and then boom a quick change to 45 kpm for not much more than a bus stop. In the cities and towns I just try to go the same speed or a little slower than the locals..
Every one says to not drive at night but because I know the road quite well I tend to cross the border an hour or two before sunrise and am through the metro areas of TJ and Ensenada by daylight. The main issue with nighttime driving is the free range cattle. They are there in the day too but can really surprise you at night. On coming traffic tend to flash their lights at you if there is something going on up ahead. Could be around the next curve or 5 miles ahead. Just drive very defensively.
One thing that is unique to Mexico and especially outside the cities an towns, if you have car trouble or a flat or out of gas, not one local will pass you and not offer help. You could stop for a piss break and have 3 cars waiting for you to make sure you don't need help. Try that in the US.
There are 3 or 4 checkpoints where there are children (seemingly) with machine guns. They tend to ask where are you coming from and where are you going and wave you through. Northbound these checkpoints tend to be a bit more thorough. They may ask you to get out and they will go through your stuff. Take your money and passport and phone and other valuables with you when you vacate the vehicle. Offer water or soda if it is hot, smile and you will be on your way. If you don't do drugs, carry drugs, buy drugs, or sell drugs you will be safer in Mexico than most of the large cities in the US.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #26
svendawg

Try it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
How safe is the 500+ mile drive south of the border?

I have never been to Mexico. All you hear on the news is terrible stuff down there, but then again its the news and horror gets views.

How safe is this particular drive?

If your nervous about driving in Mexico, sign ip for one of the Baja or Bust trips and drive with them in a caravan to the fishing spot. This will give you a chance to experience driving in Mexico, Plus you get to fish Mexico's waters. It's a win, win.
After a few trips you will fell comfortable enough to join Rossman at his Casa in paradise
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #27
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
If your nervous about driving in Mexico, sign ip for one of the Baja or Bust trips and drive with them in a caravan to the fishing spot. This will give you a chance to experience driving in Mexico, Plus you get to fish Mexico's waters. It's a win, win.
After a few trips you will fell comfortable enough to join Rossman at his Casa in paradise
That is a very good point Sven. The good thing or the bad thing about Asuncion is that it is generally a 2 day trip to get there. You can make it in one day but you will have to deal with unpacking and setting up after dark most times of the year. Even with my situation I am taking two days to get down there because I have to make contact with the caretaker and housekeeper when I get there and that will be easier at 11:00 am than 8:00 pm . Since I am already set up and if you come visit I would not hesitate suggesting making the trip in one day, especially if you have made the trip before. The worst case would be you arrive late at night and you grab a spot on the floor or on a cot and deal with the rest manana. It is the Mexican way.
— Herman Melville

Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #28
JDW

That is awesome! Like others have said you're going to be living the dream! How long of a drive is it from San Diego? Google says about 12 hours.

Jess
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #29
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
That is awesome! Like others have said you're going to be living the dream! How long of a drive is it from San Diego? Google says about 12 hours.

Jess
On the Baja or Bust, Asuncion trips it takes 12-13 hours. We do it in two days, but it can be done in one. In Summer if you cross at TJ at 4 am you should get there before dark. It is a great area to fish. I hope to do Asuncion 3 this year as well as Abreojos 1. Both take the same time and are about 60 miles from each other but no road between them.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote