Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
Irishman

La Jolla this coming Saturday and big WNW swell

Have been jonesing to get out for a second times this year, have a fish finder I have yet to use and was hoping for this coming Saturday. Looking at Surfline they are forecasting a pretty decent swell to start hitting Sat and peak on Sunday. Calling for headhigh plus on Sat and bigger Sunday. I've spent over 15 years surfing so no stranger to big winter swells and where they hit during the winter. Looking at the webcam the launch today looked like it would be worse on Sat.
Am thinking San Diego bay early but still need to check the huge tide swings we are having. Anyone else thinking La Jolla on Saturday?
I need to wet a line and for the first time use a fishfinder.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
MrPatrick

The bite was excellent in the bay this past Saturday on a big swing. Just increase your weight and long line it with braid to keep the sensitivity going. I may hit the bay saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
surfisher

Well, the waves won't be this big on Saturday if that makes you feel better. Saw this on someones instagram from last year around this time at La Jolla.

Photo Jan 21, 9 01 35 PM.jpg
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
fishja

Sd bay bite was going off last Saturday near cabrillo.... I hit it on the dropping tide and it was blast! Looks like there could possibly be some wind on Saturday too! I'll be in the bay!
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Good luck out there Allen. I hope everyone on Sum Fun gets sea sick so I have the rail to myself! Lol, jk. Just don't want to be too cramped though
Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Irishman

Thats the type of wave I've been in before (Califia, salsa peudes, k38) I've learnt no such thing as being an atheist when you have 15'feet of cold water coming on top of your head with no channel to escape. I'll take my 43 years old busted knees and enjoy San Diego bay.
Plus I need to learn how to use a fish finder and the tidal swings on Saturday look good for suck out and suck in
Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
tacmik

I will probably be a zoo in the bay sat. It is the open bay bass tourney.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Irishman

Am keeping a close eye on surfline and their forecast. At this stage its a medium interval swell that should not impact the launch, still big tidal swings but the unknown is how much offshore wind through the early morning and day. I'd welcome any input on this as the weather looks perfect aside from the risk of offshore winds. If I was surfing it would be premium conditions but more interested in getting a yellow or halibut and eating well for the week.
If anyone has intel or feedback please share. I'm gearing towards being prepped for LJ
Old 01-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #9
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I say at least show up and see the conditions for yourself to decide if they're tolerable or not. Swells will be slightly bigger, but they are long-period swells. So not really that bad.

However, the "Experts" are predicting this weekend will be windy, so I'm planning to stay on land this weekend. Wind is a bigger issue for me than swell.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
Irishman

Looking at the Surfline cam for the shores it looks perfect today, hoping the wind does not pick up for tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Big swell=lots of current

Strong current=game fish on the hunt

Strap your poles down, make sure everything is below deck or secured for launch and landing, and go for it man! If you're an experienced surfer you will have no problem timing the sets. Same on the landing. You will be fine, as long as you're not trying to surf a pro angler. Then I would recommend a helmet(;
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
Subarualmen

I want to get out for the first time in my stealth 14 so badly... Finished the work on it last weekend and it is ready to go.
Subarualmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Irishman

I'm planning to get to the launch at about 7am. I want to see what the wind gets up to, I'm hopeful the swell angle will leave the launch at about 1-3, I'm more attuned to what the wind will be doing. If no go at LJ am going to switch to lighter gear and hit Shelter Island and tool around SD Bay.
Anyone else paddling tomorrow morning?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #14
Irishman

Just starting to load my gear, hope to see some folks tomorrow. 7am at the launch for unload and go from there.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #15
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Looking at the web cam this morning. Think your going to be just fine for this morning. Maybe 1' ankle slappers.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #16
Irishman

Launch was no worries, it was double over toe. The wind came up at about 10:15 and it got nasty quick. Made for a long and one sided paddle...was getting pushed south and it took a lot of effort to get back inside the preserve. Landing was the same....mellow. If the wind is gone tomorrow it would be perfect
Old 01-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #17
momo fish

Thanks for update. How was bait?
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
Irishman

Two greenbacks and three Spanish in an hour. There's a lot of bait out there, I messed up on the settings on my new fish finder, could not even see the screen. I bet the San Diego 3/4 day boats nailed yellows today. Lots of whale action also.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:49 AM   #19
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Two greenbacks and three Spanish in an hour. There's a lot of bait out there, I messed up on the settings on my new fish finder, could not even see the screen. I bet the San Diego 3/4 day boats nailed yellows today. Lots of whale action also.
Went with my buddy Eli (his bday present from his chick) on Sum Fun outta Dana Wharf and it was rough. I got a 19lber, probably the smallest of the bunch, on a mint 6x jr. Altogether we only got 18 fish for 50 anglers! Ouch. Did you guys catch all the fish during your BBQ last weekend?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 AM   #20
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

That's weird, why does my last post look grey and little for a portion of the text?