Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
FleshandBlood

Middle breakwall Via Cabrillo Beach Inside..?

Hey guys I was planning on heading to the wall this Sunday and was wondering what would be the best way for a first trip out there. I was thinking of launching from Cabrillo and heading over to the middle breakwall vs. leaving out of Alamitos bayand paddling straight out to the wall closest to Seal Beach.

Anything I should be aware in terms of parking, boat traffic & currents?

I know Sunday we should be having a good swell moving through the area and hoping that is going to fire up the inner wall!
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
jorluivil

Your best bet is to launch from the Cabrillo boat launch, its about 2miles to Angels Gate (mouth) so you're probably looking at a total of 3-4 miles to the middle of the middle break wall. As far as traffic goes, you'll get the usual traffic; tugs, private boaters, cattle boats and a barge or six. Keep an eye on the winds, at Cabrillo they usually start building late morning and get worst as the mornings turn into the afternoon. I've seen many kayakers get rescued by the lifeguard boats, don't be one of those kayakers............If you're not prepared to battle the winds back play it safe and start heading back before 10 or you'll be fighting the wind all the way back to the boat launch.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-23-2015 at 08:18 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

I dont know your experience level on a kayak...i would assume your a newbie just based on your posts and your question...if you want my opinion, i would say get some experience in the area first before making that trek. Get a feel for how the conditions can change...theres many guys that got in over their head in this area, that have needed to get rescued....winds can blow very hard here and they normally do...so if you make that paddle with the wind at your back...your gonna have to come back against it...and thats not fun at all. And if your not up for that paddle or pedal...you might be in the shits...
Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
FleshandBlood

I totally understand you're guys concern and appreciate it That's why I am here. Sounds like I might have to postpone my wall trip, better safe than sorry. Would you have a suggestion on a decent location to whack away at some fish on the inside. I was thinking maybe launching at pier j and then working the rock wall up and around the Queen Mary and hope for some larger spotties and some sandbass. Or another option I thought was to launch at cabrillo and work structure around the inside. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshandBlood View Post
I totally understand you're guys concern and appreciate it That's why I am here. Sounds like I might have to postpone my wall trip, better safe than sorry. Would you have a suggestion on a decent location to whack away at some fish on the inside. I was thinking maybe launching at pier j and then working the rock wall up and around the Queen Mary and hope for some larger spotties and some sandbass. Or another option I thought was to launch at cabrillo and work structure around the inside. What are your thoughts?

You want my honest suggestion and thoughts?

JUST GO FISH

It can't get any easier than that

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
incxalx

Where is the launch at Pier J?
incxalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
FleshandBlood

Sorry I meant H by the Queen Mary. Not sure what my plans are with this wind.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
tamddo714

welcome. if you go search the fish reports you can learn about all the places people go and perhaps find an area near you. as i like to say its fishing not rocket science. just go out and get on the water.
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote