Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Fishing619

Is it worth it ?

For the people that has upgrade from a paddle
Kayak to a peddle kayak is it worth the money
What is the difference at the end of the day.
Fishing619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
jbl_91762

best move I've made going to peddle. I enjoyed the workout paddling for a year but only bought a paddle cause I was not sure I'd like kayak fishing AND I didn't want to pay $2k for a paddle. Saved the dough and bought 2016 Hobie Outback and couldn't be happier. To fish and tie knots, eat, drink while moving are incredible! Go save the bucks and join the club!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Orca Winfrey

I like paddling too, but I'd say yes for fishing. Like jbl said, you will have your hands free to eat and fish on the move. Also a pedal yak lets you hold position over your spot in current and wind.

Pedal yaks also have a huge advantage when going into the wind. I learned this at POLA in 20mph plus winds. I was losing more ground (water?) than I was gaining because the wind was blowing me backwards between every stroke. My buddy ended up towing me in with his Revo 13.

One day I'll give in to the dark side. Meanwhile, I still like paddling and I'm too cheap to get a Hobie.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Raskal311

I've fund paddle fishing to be a huge waist of time. Tried it for over a year and hated it; made the switch and never looked back.

The difference is you get much more fishing time and less time $@&&$" around with the paddle fighting and adjusting for the current.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
Gr8fuldude

Made the switch and absolutely no regrets. For all the reasons stated above, hands free for fishing, fighting the wind is much easier, and one more reason is that I have increased range in the hobie. Down at makobobs place, I can comfortably and confidently fish the islands, which are five miles from shore. With the paddle, I wouldn't feel so confident going that far from shore. I can also fish all day as I don't get as tired peddling all day compared to paddling. I say if you can afford it then it really is a no-brainer. I liked paddle-fishing, but I absolutely love peddle-fishing.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post
Made the switch and absolutely no regrets. For all the reasons stated above, hands free for fishing, fighting the wind is much easier, and one more reason is that I have increased range in the hobie. Down at makobobs place, I can comfortably and confidently fish the islands, which are five miles from shore. With the paddle, I wouldn't feel so confident going that far from shore. I can also fish all day as I don't get as tired peddling all day compared to paddling. I say if you can afford it then it really is a no-brainer. I liked paddle-fishing, but I absolutely love peddle-fishing.

I had the same experience except of going to the island. With my 14' X-factor I had to beach myself and walk to the camp once.

When I got back to LA, I bought a used Outback and now selling my X-factor.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
I like paddling too, but I'd say yes for fishing. Like jbl said, you will have your hands free to eat and fish on the move. Also a pedal yak lets you hold position over your spot in current and wind.

Pedal yaks also have a huge advantage when going into the wind. I learned this at POLA in 20mph plus winds. I was losing more ground (water?) than I was gaining because the wind was blowing me backwards between every stroke. My buddy ended up towing me in with his Revo 13.

One day I'll give in to the dark side. Meanwhile, I still like paddling and I'm too cheap to get a Hobie.
You'll never do it. That kayak funds of your keeps going elsewhere when you need it most. lol!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
King Saba

For reference, I've done 13+ miles in a trip before when I was still in my Revo 13. Wasn't really that tired the next day. Before that, I used to do 4-6mile trips in my wide Malibu Stealth 12 and I was aching and super fatigued the next day.

Pedal kayaks- faster overall, hands free application, and easy to maintain course.

Paddle kayaks- Can be faster if you buy narrow carbon fiber crafts like a stealth profisha, BUT is generally a hassle when trying to hold position.

Overall I love my Hobie kayaks. They're tough, helped me become a better angler, and gives me more time while on the water to focus on fishing rather than maintaining position. But, I do miss paddling for its minimalist application. I take much more caution with my Hobies since there are more moving parts that can break when handled carelessly.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
Phu Nguyen
Junior

Can you still fish around San Diego bait barge? Some guy on a sail boat told me yesterday that I can't fish there anymore
Phu Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
SHRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing619 View Post
If it's the slightest bit breezy it's well worth.
My Outback has the 180 drive. Reverse is quite handy!!
SHRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
GTboosted

TJONES would you say that your trident 15 can keep up with a Hobie over long distances? I got a buddy looking for a yak longer than 14ft.

Right now he is fishing out of my Revo 16 and we always cover many miles.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
CON KSO

I don't know if you plan on fly fishing off your yak but I do it all the time- I have to keep the boat pointed into the wind in order to fly fish and I don't see how this would be possible in a non-peddle kayak. In my PA 14 I will fish regardless of the conditions, windy or not because I know I can keep the boat pointed and still keep my fly in the water.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #13
Flounder

Hobie drive vs propeller drive

Anyone notice a problem with the non Hobies making a lot of noise while pedaling? I hear the gears on the drives on most youtube videos and stealth is a concern to me. So I will be doing a lot more research through oex and fastlane to figure out what I want. Any info is helpful!
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
Fishing619

New Hobie PA14 Camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing619 View Post
Well i did got a hobie went to fast lane they had a demo PA14 Camo editin at a good price i couldn't pass out, took it out yesterday and what a difference thank you all for the replays,
Fishing619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #15
Orca Winfrey

Congrats!
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote