Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
carbonbass

Deciding my next rig

Ok, as I add more accessories and gear to my mini-x i realize that its just too small for me. I am going to be looking for a 12 footer. I am thinking about a malibu stealth 12, an ocean tetra 12 angler, or a used outback. I know most are probably going to say outback, but if i go towards the malibu or ocean what would be your pick?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Caffeind

outback
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
outback
x2. why bother getting the OK or malibu if you're just going to upgrade to the outback anyways.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Im gonna be the squeaky wheel and say ocean kayak. I love their hull shapes. Im in a malibu xfactor now and all though it's very stable it gets very wet and sloppy in even the smallest wakes. If youre comfortable with a rocker style hull with secondary stability I would go with the o.k.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Im gonna be the squeaky wheel and say ocean kayak. I love their hull shapes. Im in a malibu xfactor now and all though it's very stable it gets very wet and sloppy in even the smallest wakes. If youre comfortable with a rocker style hull with secondary stability I would go with the o.k.
I agree here also. I love the Ocean Kayaks. I bought an X-factor from a buddy and loved the stability on the bay but wasn't happy with the beach launches and landings, really wished I had the secondary stability. Then a buddy posted up his O.k. Prowler. I sold my X-factor and jumped at the Prowler. Many are going to point you to an Hobie and they are nice, but I would encourage you to test paddle each before you buy.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
I own both paddle and peddle love them both but if I could have only one it would be the paddle. I use a malibu X13 and to be perfectly honest it is my favorite I just like paddling better and it gives me more space in front of me for landing fish (ok so I don't need the space that much but its there) and with my bait tank in front of me (I have a kayatank) I'm not always trying to turn around to get out a fresh bait. Which if you don't have very good balance is a good time to flip your yak over. Nothing insurmountable but just convenience. The other plus is sometimes things go wrong with mirage drives yes you would have the paddle as a back up and its not like it happens all the time but my X13 paddles better than my Hobie Revo (I even forgot to bring the Mirage drive once that sucked).

The thing that makes up for the cost and inconvenience of the Hobie is the speed and distance you can cover. Sometimes I don't have alot of time but I want to fish a spot further away than I would have time to paddle to. The mirage drive allows me to do that. I have more range and it does not take as long to get there. Oh and the kids love the peddles its the only way my nine year old can keep up with my 14 year old and me so for me thats worth owning one (ok so the only time I get to use the Hobie is when I fish alone evenings during the week).

These are just my opinions and observations mind you I'm sure others will chime in but I'm kinda in the market for another yak and I've been thinking too! The Stealth 12 has been a consideration as has been the Outback and it seems like the new Moken might work for me as well. I really like having my bait up front. Though I'm leaning towards the outback just to keep the kids from fighting over who gets to use the Revo like they sometimes do now. So for now I'm just thinking...

One other note if I didn't have such a great paddle the preference might be different the full carbon Werners are that good! A huge difference to a paddler and still cheaper than a mirage drive. Two things I would not skimp on are a good paddle and a good seat. With those things you can do long days on a paddle yak, long enjoyable days . Hope it helps
Darren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Fishing out of an ancient O.K. Scupper Pro now - cant wait to make the upgrade to the new PA12 later this year...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
StinkyMatt

If you are a kayaker, buy a kayak.

If you want to fish, buy a hobie.

Here, I just pissed off another 200 people!

Oh yeah, the mirage drives break down ALL the time, I mean alllll the time.

I think like 3 of them in California in 11 years.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

3!? I don't like those odds. Stock to paddling!

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

There's Matt...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Baja_Traveler

But it is the total truth -

I started out as a kayaker, and I'll never get rid of my Necky touring kayak because is is like the race car of the paddling world and I've camped out of it on several baja trips where I was days away from the launch point (and I want to do that again). But as a fishing boat, it's not even close.

Then I wanted to fish more, so I got my ancient Scupper Pro (which was the latest and greatest at the time) soon after that the Malibu's came out and I was jealous of all the guys fishing in them because it was clearly a better boat for fishing.

Now we have the Hobies, which are the most advanced fishing rigs invented to date. Used to be only the little pencil neck horse jockies could stand in a kayak, now just about any lardass like me an do it - with the right boat.
Go to the Hobie website and notice that the PA's are not even listed under the "kayak" heading - they are fishing boats and thats just what I'm after...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
RockyRaab

Even with my limited experience with my Pro Angler, I have to agree. If you want to fish, get a craft designed for fishing. The Mirage Drive is fabulous -- and paddles break, too, you know.

Which brings me to a per peeve. Hobie dealers "peddle" their boats, the rest of us PEDAL them.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
carbonbass

thank you all for your insight, i do believe i will be buying a used outback soon, its like Vince said, i know that even if i get the stealth or OK i will still have that thought of a mirage drive in the back of my head . Besides, a used outback is the same price as the other 2 new. And i have a bait tank so no need for the stealth. Thanks again~
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

there's a reason we all (but wont admit) have a pro angler fund. jars of coins and ones and 5's in the glove box.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
NextBite

Get a hobie, I have one for sale if your interested
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote