Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
jorluivil

Pacific Anglers Seat for Hobie

Review of day 1:

Its sucks!!!

Ok, it doesn't suck, its actually a great seat but its not built for the Hobie. The morning started OK but went south fast, I mean really fast.....my thoughts went from 'cool' to 'I'm ready to throw this thing in the water' almost immediately. At one point I looked up at the sky and prayed to the Man to give me the strength to survive the ordeal.

The biggest problem:

when you start to peddle you tend to put pressure on the upper part of the seat, this causes the lower part of the seat to slide forward. Eventually, you'll get to a point when you're laying with your back on the bait tank and you're staring up at the sky. This is the point where you start praying to the Man above. The buckles that are supposed to hold the straps in place and keep them from sliding only work if there is constant tension on them, the minute you release/relieve them of any tension the straps start to slip and this is what causes the bottom half of the seat to slide forward.

I'm trying to avoid using the bolts that the standard Hobie seat comes with but that may be the solution. I played around with the seat most of the day and finally got it to stay in its place for a few hours but the minute that I got tired and tried to lean back I must have put to much pressure on the upper half of the seat and this caused the bottom half to slide out. I have a few solutions other than the bolt thing that I think will work but before I do any modification I going to give it another try tomorrow.

I fished from about 6am until 3pm, considering how much I had to deal with and the stress I went through my back doesn't feel to bad. Lets see what day two brings

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
echo1er

Use a yoga matt underneath the seat. I seen people use it so they don't slide around.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
I have been using one on my Revo and have not had any problem with it I have a couple of non-factory pad eyes installed in the back though and that seems to hold everything in place. I think Andy (at OEX Sunset Beach) set this one up I'm sure he could help with yours. They are a great seat comfy and with enough support for long hours on the water.
Darren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Had the same prob. I tied a knot in the straps in the back and using the stock hobie pad eyes, and added a pad because I got no arse.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
fishingfiend

Did you ever try the inflatable hobie seat? I broke down at FHS a bought it. I use both the original seat plus the inflatable for double the cushion. My A$$ has been thanking me ever since.

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Deefeesha

How much is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
Did you ever try the inflatable hobie seat? I broke down at FHS a bought it. I use both the original seat plus the inflatable for double the cushion. My A$$ has been thanking me ever since.

Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
MVC

I have used the inflatable seat for almost 1 year now and it is alot more comfortable. I think that the cost is about 40.00
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

$17.00
Support your local kayak shop
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...eat-Pad/Detail

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

David,

those pads have been back ordered for 2 years

I stock that Hobie one.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
David,

those pads have been back ordered for 2 years

I stock that Hobie one.
How much does a hobie one cost?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Photoxic
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNAST13ST View Post
How much does a hobie one cost?
I think they are around $40
Photoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Caffeind

Good to know, been considering a new seat but wasn't sure which would work well on the Outback. Thanks for being the Guinea Pig...I can picture you out there cussing at the sky haha Hope you can make it work, looks like a great seat.

My Malibu had the COD Apex ( http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...1-Kayak/Detail) which had a second set of straps to hold the bottom in place to keep it from doing that thing yours did. It was a great seat, especially with the COD inflatable pad (no longer available). I'm considering that seat again, or the GTS Elite, and adding a few padeyes to hold the rear straps, and slapping my $40 iComfort on that. Gotta quiz Andy on it tho to see if it'll work.
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
steveooo

Not sure if there are the same padeyes on the Outback, but on my Hobie Adventure there were stock 2 padeyes right behind the seat that were perfect to attach to. If there aren't on yours, you might want to consider adding a couple stainless or brass ones where the seat buckles would naturally attach to. Before I had it adusted correctly, I tried attaching the aftermarket seat using the Hobie posts screwed into my new seat, but that didn't work too well.

My personal preference is to have the back straps on the seat as tight as they can possibly go, so there is no way the bottom of the seat can move on you. Once you get the new seat dialed in once, it is a whole night and day difference vs. the old stock seat.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote