Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
FullFlavorPike

Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon line as leader

Anybody ever tried it? You can get a 250yd spool of 40# 100% fluoro main line for like forty bucks. According to the wide internet, there are plenty of reasons not to use it, but I would imagine it ties up really well, since it's designed to be a bit more flexible, and it would really encourage changing out topshots instead of trying to get a little extra mileage out of a frayed leader rather than spend $20 on 20 yards of yozuri.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Ive used the lighter stuff in freshwater. Its pretty good. For the cost its worth to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
steve999

I also tried the lighter stuff for freshwater. Kept having unexpected breakoffs. Then tied a piece of vanish to a lighter weight Berkeley XL monofilament, and pulled on it till it broke. The vanish side broke every time. The mono in the test was 8 lb, and the vanish was 10 or 12. I'd get you the exact number for the vanish, except I can't because I threw it in the trash.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
I also tried the lighter stuff for freshwater. Kept having unexpected breakoffs. Then tied a piece of vanish to a lighter weight Berkeley XL monofilament, and pulled on it till it broke. The vanish side broke every time. The mono in the test was 8 lb, and the vanish was 10 or 12. I'd get you the exact number for the vanish, except I can't because I threw it in the trash.
That's definitely not a ringing endorsement!

If I end up buying the spool, I'll waste forty yards or so doing some extended stress tests and see what happens. Have to break out the scale and measure some quasi-realistic breaking strengths and various lengths and stuff. I found that simply pulling with hands is a non-starter. Even 50# mono is a cinch to snap if you wrap it around your gloved hands and give it a tug. There's just not enough sensitivity there (at least not in my hands) to get a real feel for the line's consistency and real-world strength.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
Blue and Black box? I tried it once and was not happy with the results. I went to using the "professional" version in the gold box it worked out much better and I still use it to this day. For light line applications up to 15lb test. Also make sure you wet your knots before pulling them tight it makes a huge difference on these lines. It took me awhile to figure that one out too but its been fine ever since. Good luck!
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
taggermike

I've used vanish as a leader in 8 and 10lb and it worked well for me. Can't say if the heavy stuff works. Its deffinately tempting to get 200 yards for about the same price as a 25 yard leader spool. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
tamddo714

I use the lighter stuff as leader. Works well. But for yellows etc I use seguar premier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
stoned-trout

I use it...in various line strengths ..started using in way back in my florida keys days...permit,bone fish mainly..i have a reel spooled with the 40 atm not just a leader...