Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
tacklebox
I got gas!

Finally got my new kayak. Tarpon 140~!

So I finally got my kayak Ive been drooling over! Its a tarpon 140 with almost all the accessories I want! I traded a guy 200 bucks and a nixon watch for it yesterday.
I cant wait to take it out for her maiden voyage! If anyone is going this weekend I could use some tips. I plan on going to the lake tomorrow to fish a little and get used to it, tip it and see how hard it is to re enter, make sure all gear is not going to get lost etc...
I typically go out of Dana point on the cattle boats, pier, bridge etc...
I plan on adding a kelp clip, drift chute (do you guys use those?), what about anchor? is that unsafe in the ocean? Anything else I should have ?
I have had a few kayaks but got rid of them after I tested in the pool and realized they didnt fit right. Either too small or unstable or both!
Here she is!

Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
xpresso2am

Congrats on a great looking fish killing yak!
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

Anchor, ocean, forget about it, drift chute? maybe but not a necessity,
good thinkin about going out and turning it over, vhf radio? PFD? that would be more important, bilge pump of some kind...looks like you got a sweet ride right there, congrats on the yak and welcome to the addiction...stay safe and have fun
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

nice ride!

is that bait pump self-priming?

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
min-va

Congrats!!! Very nice!!

kelp clip, drift chute, anchor .....i don't think you need those...

But from my 6 months experience .......a fish finder is very useful, basically a must if you are serious about fishing, and a good paddle is very important since we can't afford a Hobie !!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
tacklebox
I got gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Anchor, ocean, forget about it, drift chute? maybe but not a necessity,
good thinkin about going out and turning it over, vhf radio? PFD? that would be more important, bilge pump of some kind...looks like you got a sweet ride right there, congrats on the yak and welcome to the addiction...stay safe and have fun
Yea I expect it will be rough out there so I want to see how far I can get it over before tipping, how far I can sit up on the front/back, turning in the seat etc...
I am looking for a vhf right now on craigslist and other affordable dealers. Any suggestions for ones in the 30-100 dollar range?
I have a life jacket from walmart (the blue one) but am also looking for a nice fishing jacket for a reasonable price as well.
and I also have a handheld bilge pump. I figure I could rig the bait pump in case of emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
nice ride!

is that bait pump self-priming?
Thanks!
I dont know about the pump being self priming but the guy I got it from didnt say I needed anything extra. He said he just puts the tube through the scupper and lets it pour out the side. I dont think Id like hearing water pouring so I will probably add a tube outlet. I think it would make me have to pee haha.
I assume you are talking about an outboard fuel hose primer? Would it work if I just filled up the bucket with water so it has something in the tube or do I need one if it is not self priming? I connected the battery for just a sec to see if it worked and it started humming.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
FLORIDA BOY!

Nice yak, I've had that one for 3 years and the same color. Damn! i'm gonna have to put my name on it. I have never flipped when out, just coming in, and usually shallow enough that i could have jumped out and stood up(knee deep). If your fishing La jolla you might want to add a gaff to your list. Enjoy!
FLORIDA BOY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Cbad Mike

Very nice! Congratulations! As I found out the hard way if there is a chance your going to catch something good sized you probably want to get a game clip. I bought one for less than $20. See my "question I should have asked yesterday " thread.
GOOD LUCK!
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
I would second the gaff and game clip biggest halibut I almost caught... Looks like a real sweet ride should be plenty enjoyable the Tarpons paddle really nice.
Darren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Congrats on the new Yak

Not only should you learn how to re-enter the kayak if you fall off, but you should practice good paddling technique as well to keep from going in the drink, take less pressure off your muscles, and it will help you enjoy your time on the water more. Below are some videos that helped me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2a2xu2VRxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YeduKtjFxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmaNB...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sP2cYu0NX8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LLg3...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPL1vPW25kg

Enjoy the new Yak and remember to be safe.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote