Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Fishing619

Is it worth it ?

For the people that has upgrade from a paddle
Kayak to a peddle kayak is it worth the money
What is the difference at the end of the day.
Fishing619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
jbl_91762

best move I've made going to peddle. I enjoyed the workout paddling for a year but only bought a paddle cause I was not sure I'd like kayak fishing AND I didn't want to pay $2k for a paddle. Saved the dough and bought 2016 Hobie Outback and couldn't be happier. To fish and tie knots, eat, drink while moving are incredible! Go save the bucks and join the club!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Orca Winfrey

I like paddling too, but I'd say yes for fishing. Like jbl said, you will have your hands free to eat and fish on the move. Also a pedal yak lets you hold position over your spot in current and wind.

Pedal yaks also have a huge advantage when going into the wind. I learned this at POLA in 20mph plus winds. I was losing more ground (water?) than I was gaining because the wind was blowing me backwards between every stroke. My buddy ended up towing me in with his Revo 13.

One day I'll give in to the dark side. Meanwhile, I still like paddling and I'm too cheap to get a Hobie.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Raskal311

I've fund paddle fishing to be a huge waist of time. Tried it for over a year and hated it; made the switch and never looked back.

The difference is you get much more fishing time and less time $@&&$" around with the paddle fighting and adjusting for the current.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
Gr8fuldude

Made the switch and absolutely no regrets. For all the reasons stated above, hands free for fishing, fighting the wind is much easier, and one more reason is that I have increased range in the hobie. Down at makobobs place, I can comfortably and confidently fish the islands, which are five miles from shore. With the paddle, I wouldn't feel so confident going that far from shore. I can also fish all day as I don't get as tired peddling all day compared to paddling. I say if you can afford it then it really is a no-brainer. I liked paddle-fishing, but I absolutely love peddle-fishing.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
I like paddling too, but I'd say yes for fishing. Like jbl said, you will have your hands free to eat and fish on the move. Also a pedal yak lets you hold position over your spot in current and wind.

Pedal yaks also have a huge advantage when going into the wind. I learned this at POLA in 20mph plus winds. I was losing more ground (water?) than I was gaining because the wind was blowing me backwards between every stroke. My buddy ended up towing me in with his Revo 13.

One day I'll give in to the dark side. Meanwhile, I still like paddling and I'm too cheap to get a Hobie.
You'll never do it. That kayak funds of your keeps going elsewhere when you need it most. lol!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
King Saba

For reference, I've done 13+ miles in a trip before when I was still in my Revo 13. Wasn't really that tired the next day. Before that, I used to do 4-6mile trips in my wide Malibu Stealth 12 and I was aching and super fatigued the next day.

Pedal kayaks- faster overall, hands free application, and easy to maintain course.

Paddle kayaks- Can be faster if you buy narrow carbon fiber crafts like a stealth profisha, BUT is generally a hassle when trying to hold position.

Overall I love my Hobie kayaks. They're tough, helped me become a better angler, and gives me more time while on the water to focus on fishing rather than maintaining position. But, I do miss paddling for its minimalist application. I take much more caution with my Hobies since there are more moving parts that can break when handled carelessly.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
Phu Nguyen
Junior

Can you still fish around San Diego bait barge? Some guy on a sail boat told me yesterday that I can't fish there anymore
Phu Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post
Made the switch and absolutely no regrets. For all the reasons stated above, hands free for fishing, fighting the wind is much easier, and one more reason is that I have increased range in the hobie. Down at makobobs place, I can comfortably and confidently fish the islands, which are five miles from shore. With the paddle, I wouldn't feel so confident going that far from shore. I can also fish all day as I don't get as tired peddling all day compared to paddling. I say if you can afford it then it really is a no-brainer. I liked paddle-fishing, but I absolutely love peddle-fishing.

I had the same experience except of going to the island. With my 14' X-factor I had to beach myself and walk to the camp once.

When I got back to LA, I bought a used Outback and now selling my X-factor.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
jorluivil

Here are some pros and cons between pedal and paddle kayak

Pedal kayak pros: everything

pedal kayak cons: none

Just to give you a general idea about some of the advantages with pedal drive kayaks.

Yesterday I was fighting a large fish, while fighting the fish I was able to gain line on the fish by:

1. pedaling
2. use my rudder controls to turn in whatever direction the fish was running
3. use my VHF radio

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 09-05-2017 at 08:40 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
FISH11

I have and like both. My Hobie Revo is great at being able to have hands free and maintaining forward movement against a strong current and wind. Terrible about constantly getting loose kelp caught on the fins or rudder. The rudder pisses me off the most when fly lining a mac at least a couple time a day the fishing line will get caught on the rudder and is a pain to get it off and it has very little usable storage space inside the kayak. My Malibu X Factor is much more stable in choppy water goes out the higher surf better and is more controllable when coming in through the surf. I have had to use both against the strong current and wind. If you paddle often then your arms are in shape, if you don't go out at least once a week then the arms will have a hard time doing it for 4-6 hours non-stop, that I think would be the same for a lot of guys and their legs. THERE IS NO KAYAK, that is all pros and no cons. It is still hard to justify a pedal kayak often costing twice as much, maybe 25%.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
goldenglory18

I've been a paddler my whole yak fishing tenure, and on most days dont mind at all the "hassle" that comes with it.

BUT, on those extra windy days, or when that big tank takes the bait, I really wish I had my hands free.

Someday I'll pickup a peddle boat, but until then, I'm happy as pie in my "old school" paddle kayak.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
crashcrow

I started with an Xfactor and did ok unless there was a current. I fish 3 times more on a Hobie because my hands are always free. I would never get rid of the pedals now that I have them.

Mike
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Paddling was fun and I'm glad I learned on paddle boats, but the wind made it really tough to make headway sometimes. The wind really isn't much of an issue with pedals.

The only con of having a pedal drive is having to still carry around a paddle in case the pedal drive fails.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe

Last edited by alanw; 09-05-2017 at 01:45 PM.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
GTboosted

It's worth it if you already know that you like kayak fishing.

I constantly see kayaks for sale where the owner only used it a few times. If you buy used you will not lose much if you decide you don't like the sport. Pedals won't automatically help you catch more fish.

It also depends in what type of fishing you do. If you stick to harbors it might not be worth it. When you want to cover distance in the open ocean it's hard to beat leg power and the mirage drive with upper body and a paddle.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #16
Gr8fuldude

[QUOTE=GTboosted;285550]It's worth it if you already know that you like kayak fishing.

I constantly see kayaks for sale where the owner only used it a few times. If you buy used you will not lose much if you decide you don't like the sport.

This is good advice. First decide whether you really, REALLY like the sport. If you are in, then you find a way to beg, borrow, or steal (ok, maybe not steal) the money to get a pedal yak.

Now you have another decision to make, do you get the heavier, more expensive pro angler fishing machine, or a smaller, lighter pedal yak (outback or revo). I got the outback, which I absolutely love, but I wonder if I'd have been happier battling the weight but enjoying the overall superiority of the PA.

I do wish I hadn't wasted money buying a paddle yak first, and instead had just went hobie right out of the gate. Oh well, live and learn, and you can learn from my mistake.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #17
King Saba

And if you do decide to go with a hobie remember that it's a pedal powered kayak not a peddled one. Some guy would be getting a deal on your kayak if that's the case
Old 09-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #18
fishfoo
Junior

hobie really needs to build a boat that you can stow your rods easy and not so fat
fishfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #19
jbl_91762

great points on harbor vs open water as Harbor can get away with paddle. On other points with wind, I was caught in wind and it took me over 2 hours to fight back to the harbor with my paddle yak and Im in very good shape! But I was amazed when I saw a PA14 just cruise on by me in the same wind and caught up with him at launch. He wasn't even tired and was worried about me paddling back. That's when I knew I'd make the switch as I don't fish harbors as much as I fish open water.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #20
TJones

Good thread

I had about 6 hobbies and I started out in the sport with a hobie. I currently have a 2016 outback. I also bought a pair of ocean kayaks last oct just after release of new models, one being a 2017 trident 15. Since owning a paddle kayak I have not used my hobie. It's great having hands free, but the trade offs suck. The ability to stow rods in hull, and the ability to get through tuff surf with paddle kayak are enormous advantages. Hobie really needs to come up with some aggressive changes. PA is a great platform on the water but not practical for anywhere else except LJ beach launching ( harbors, marinas, lakes excluded ). The outback is a solid platform on water but slow compared to a fast kayak. Weight capcity of revo is kinda shady. Nothing spectacular about it in surf either . Speed is not bad if you carry minimal gear and don't have any fish on board.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote