Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
psudocromis

Am I crazy tho try this tourment?

OK call me crazy, but I was watching shark hunters tonight on TV and watching the boats catch good size makos on their boats 130lbs-700lbs and i started thinking that would be sweet if one was caught on a Yak. I have seen Jim Sammons land 100lbs+ sword fish, Rhyno land almost 200lb threshers all from kayaks. I have been inspired!. Here is my Idea...

1. legal fishing grounds.. west coast mexico border to canada border
2. legal fish swords, thresers, lepards
3. mother ships ok, but all fish must be hooked while in a yak
4. 1pt per lepard, 5pts per threser 10pts per sword picture 2x pts for video?
5. 20 dollor entry fee which will be paid out to 1st 2nd and 3rd place 100% paid out.

Am i Crazy, or does this sound like a fun challenging idea? if a good idea what other requirements should be added, removed etc.
psudocromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
madscientist

Never gonna fly, IMHO. Sharkin from the yak is risky, tricky, and very hit or miss. I plan on doing more sharkin next year but I think a competition is a bad idea. Tape shot in the water would be virtually impossible unless the fish was dead, and even then all but impossible without help.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
Corey

first, sammons has never caught a swordfish, nor has anyone else (to my knowledge) on a yak. marlin is what you're talking about. i think a shark tournament would be fun, but I doubt there woul be much interest on the yak. most don't target them on a regular basis and probably wouldn't want to take time off from the more desireable species to do so. however, i've seen the show you're talking about and it's pretty cool. not to say shark fishing isn't fun from the kayak, but i don't think there would be enough people interested to make a shark tourney worthwhile. i could be wrong though. just my $.02 fun idea though.

corey
Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Zed
BANNED

Yes you're crazy.
That not withstanding, there is precedent that being crazy doesn't matter sometimes.

If it's a CnR tourney, there's no way any sane person is going to tape out a live mako on the deck of the yak, much less any other vessel. And HTF would someone tape out a live thresher on deck of a yak? How do you secure them so you can measure? It'll be nearly as long as the yak. Fork length, you say? OK, excuse me while I wet-exit to get an accurate measure. Better be doing it solo, or it doesn't count.

Leopards? They scare me. Too dangerous.

But seriously psudo, go for it. I'm sure Darwinism will be in full effect.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Slay Rider

Get a credible sponsor to put up a $1000.00 dollar prize and there will be those who are willing to compete for it.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

Maybe it would work if you just went by the number and type of sharks caught, don't consider size. That way people could just show a picture of the animal next to the yak and then do a release without putting themselves in more danger.

This doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but it's better than trying to measure a live shark.

I'm considering spending a day or two looking for a shark next year. I've done it a few times from a boat, but I was always with at least one guy with plenty of experience. If I get a good idea of how to handle a shark when it's next to my kayak, then I might give it a try. Brad, let me know when you're going, it's always better to have other people around for something like this.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees
Maybe it would work if you just went by the number and type of sharks caught, don't consider size. That way people could just show a picture of the animal next to the yak and then do a release without putting themselves in more danger.

This doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but it's better than trying to measure a live shark.

I'm considering spending a day or two looking for a shark next year. I've done it a few times from a boat, but I was always with at least one guy with plenty of experience. If I get a good idea of how to handle a shark when it's next to my kayak, then I might give it a try. Brad, let me know when you're going, it's always better to have other people around for something like this.

-Patrick
Sure, I'll bring the chum. Need to get a flying gaff.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
MKNOTT

I have landed three T sharks on the Yak. None of them were easy to kill and get on board. Once I caught a very small Mako on the Iron and he was a real son of a bitch to release unharmed. Mako's are so unpredictable, you never know what they will do,,,,, bite the boat, follow the line back, jump without giving a crap about what or who they land on..... It's definitely the insane drive of challenging yourself and the fish when you target them or unexpectedly hook up with them. Good luck all. MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Jim Sammons LJKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
first, sammons has never caught a swordfish, nor has anyone else (to my knowledge) on a yak.
corey
Well there's another fish to put on my to do list. I think the chances are about slim and none of getting one though. I think they said that about getting a Marlin in La Jolla too. 8)
I don't think any sponsor would go for a tournament of this type, too much liability.
Hey I'll watch the video though.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
psudocromis

It was a crazy idea.. i edited above to make it less risky from all your responces.
psudocromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Ryan The Sealion

Paddle out about 5 miles and hang a new fishall chum block off ur yak ...this should save us from any further ideas you might care to share in the future...
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #12
DESTROYER

Swordfish are one of the hardest fighting fish in the ocean. They are difficult to target on a boat let alone a kayak. I caught a 80# Mako of LJ shores and it was scetchy. Those guys have some serious teeth. I thought about keeping it for a second just before it went buck wild and cut my line. I don't want one of those in my lap. Way to go, thinking outside the box.....We should nominate "Ryan the Sealion" for WCW personality of the year....Do you like anyone?

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
splitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKNOTT
I have landed three T sharks on the Yak. None of them were easy to kill and get on board. Once I caught a very small Mako on the Iron and he was a real son of a bitch to release unharmed. Mako's are so unpredictable, you never know what they will do,,,,, bite the boat, follow the line back, jump without giving a crap about what or who they land on..... It's definitely the insane drive of challenging yourself and the fish when you target them or unexpectedly hook up with them. Good luck all. MKNOTT
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Dang Mike, three threshers landed and a small Mako C&R on the old yak??? Man you weren't kidding about hard fishing on that yak! :lol:
Guy
splitty is offline   Reply With Quote