Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
broncobilly

lost rod & reel at the shores

Evening all,
Had a fun day at la Jolla today but it didn't end well. I'm not stoked that my first post on the site is for missing gear but such is life.
My future father in law rolled his yak this afternoon with my dad's p- seriers newell 229 reel and red blue and white rod (old but good). He didn't have it secured and its lost somewhere in the waves of LA Jolla shores. I'm pretty bummed. That reel and rod combo have been in the family since I was a Lil kid fishing from the docks.
Reaching out to you guys...if anyone finds it could you give me a holler? It would mean a lot to my dad and I if its found.

Tight lines gentlemen.
Billy

Report from today to follow later.
broncobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Not a P SERIES!!!!!!! Is it an original P-series? If it is....ooooooooohhhh that sucks! Collectors item!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Dannowar

I was thinkin about going on a salvage snorkel tomorrow at shores. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Any more details? North or south of the wood pylons?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

I guess the only good news is that your father-in-law will owe you a favor for life now.

There ought to be a lot of items there right now after all the flips. Hopefully it shows up!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
broncobilly

Yup, an original P-series my dad picked up in the 80s. Damn good reel.

as for where it got lost was just to the south of the wood pylons...maybe 20 yards. I shuffled around that area for a good hour with no luck. Funny how currents and waves can make something as big as a rod and reel disappear in seconds.

Here's a picture of the rod.

thanks again for keeping an eye out.

Billy
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Dannowar

Tried to go looking this morning as I had nothing to do, vis was pea soup. Didn't see anything : /
Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Mike scales

Also I gopro black on a 4ft white PVC with red foam glued to the housing of camera. Lost it last week next to MLPA buoy straight out from LJ shores launch.
Epic yellow tail battle on it. Uggg....
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
broncobilly

Thanks dannowar. I appreciate the help. I'm gunna try and go out tomorrow and look for the reel and rod.

Mike I'll keep an eye out for that go pro.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobilly View Post
Thanks dannowar. I appreciate the help. I'm gunna try and go out tomorrow and look for the reel and rod.

Mike I'll keep an eye out for that go pro.
Thanks! I would be amazed if it were found. By the way, I insist on a reward if it does get recovered! $$$
Old 09-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
mclanea

Dude, that's rough. Sorry to hear that. I lost my GoPro right there, too. Got lucky and found it though in about 6 ft of water.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
broncobilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike scales View Post
Thanks! I would be amazed if it were found. By the way, I insist on a reward if it does get recovered! $$$
Sorry mike on getting back to ya late... but i didn't find any go pro's or anything else for that matter floating or sunk around... including my reel.

on a brighter note, i found a newell 229 p series for sale on ebay out of florida. 200$ got it yesterday and i'm pretty sure it's been in a garage its entire life. stoked on the find. just hope the yellow tail hang around long enough for me to break it in.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobilly View Post
Sorry mike on getting back to ya late... but i didn't find any go pro's or anything else for that matter floating or sunk around... including my reel.

on a brighter note, i found a newell 229 p series for sale on ebay out of florida. 200$ got it yesterday and i'm pretty sure it's been in a garage its entire life. stoked on the find. just hope the yellow tail hang around long enough for me to break it in.
Thanks for looking, broncobilly! Glad you found a replacement online, I'm already looking for replacement as well... As for yellows, I think they're still out there for sure! From what it sounds like, mostly pm bite. Cheers!