Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Toad Patrol
Junior

Pt. Dume MLPA info...

So, I live here at Pt. Dume, overlooking one of the spots that the Marine Life Protection Act wants to take and as I investigate the whole process I can see what is really at stake and what they're really trying to do. The final BRTF meeting is coming up and some of you fishermen and divers want to figure out the best way to spend your 30 seconds of speaking time, and try to convince these people to choose Workgroup 2's proposal. Some of you have been in this fight since the bell first rung; others are just getting up to speed. I can only shed some light on the Dume area, and the other areas that might get closed would probably be better answered by someone else.
But know this:
The MLPA is the first network of multiple reserves in the world and among the numerous no take areas some are more important to them than others. Not because they provide the best result for the effort and money. The environmental groups and big business financing this effort just want them, and want us out of them. They have big plans down the road and we're in the way. This is just the beginning.
But... the MLPA states that the Protected Areas should have minimal amount of human activity. Pt Dume has an extraordinary amount of boating, jet skiing, snorkeling, and surfing activity and is obviously not a good choice. The alternative area has more people on the beach but less boaters and divers than Dume.
The toxic storm runoff from the Paradise Cove storm drain has been voted by Heal the Bay an annual "F" grade since 1994. Why put a habitat reserve in an often polluted area? Another reason.
The vast amount of fishing guide books that list the Pt. Dume, BKR area bring many fishermen and spearos to this area, and very few are aware of the potential change into a reserve. Trying to enforce this area, especially without a boat, would be extremely difficult, and require access through the private gates at Pt.Dume for the DFG and the public as well. The Coastal Commission has been failing at this for years. Lack of public access; another reason.
The safety from wind and waves at Pt. Dume is higher than the other more westerly area. Closing Dume puts kayak fishers and divers at risk, the other proposed area, not nearly as much. Another reason.
Connecting the State Marine Reserves to the already established State parks of Zuma, El Matador, El Pescador, and La Piedra, with lots of (paid) parking, bathrooms and picnic areas makes a lot more sense. The enviros talk about visiting the new marine reserves, but no parking and bathrooms at Pt. Dume, it’s virtually private. Another reason.
We have excellent, safe launching access at Escondido beach and Westward beach for the Pt. Dume area, but no access at the other area. The only access at the Workgroup 2 area was Trancas, but the recent beach scouring has created an 8’ beach drop at gates, and the steep path at the other parks is impossible with a kayak. Another reason.
Pt. Dume has been open to fishing and diving forever and divers report abundant sealife and no need for MLPA protection. Placing it in a protected reserve would eliminate the essential commercial urchin harvest that keeps the urchin numbers in check. Divers also report MPA’s at the Channel Islands suffer from an overabundance of urchins, wiping out all other life; “urchin’s barrens” are a potential serious threat to Pt. Dume. Another reason.
I could go on, but you get the idea.
You can e-mail the BRTF and the DFG supporting this choice at: MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov or write at: MLPA Initiative c/o California Natural Resources Agency 1416 Ninth Street Suite 1311 Sacramento CA 95814.

Thanks for reading my rant…
See you in LB
-Scott
Toad Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
PAL

Excellent points, every single word.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote