Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Volunteers needed.

On Saturday, August 13, in San Diego, there is the Annual Kid’s Fishing Derby at the Shelter Island pier.
I will be there to prepare bait bags for the kid’s as well mark score cards and monitor the event.

Anybody who can come and help out would be appreciated. Parking is free and lunch and soft drinks will be provided.
You need to be there at 7:00 AM to help with bait bag preparation. The derby is over around 1:00 PM and you can fish the pier afterwards if desired.
Last year a member name Chris was a great help the night before as well as on Saturday.

I have been helping in this event for several years, and have met many great people who have come to help.

Thank you the past and future helpers for your time.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
AngryTurtle
Junior

Hi Mahigeer, My 17 yr old son needs community service hours, I may have him talked into this, with some help from me if needed. Who sponsors this? I tried to Google it but could not find it. To get community service hours you need a business card or a letter from the sponsoring group and a form filled out.
AngryTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Call Vic and tell him that you want to help me (Hashem) and I think they can provide you the information.

If they don't I can ask Ken Jones, president of United Pier and Shore Anglers of California, (UPSAC) to write a letter for helping me.

Vic Gamboa
Event Coordinator
San Diego Sportfishing Council
2326 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 234-8793

Hope to see you both and thanks for the offer.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Here is the post from last year.

Once again it was time to travel to San Diego to help out with the annual Kid’s Derby at the Shelter Island pier. Since I don’t know how many helpers I would have on the day of derby, for the past few years, I have been going to SD on Friday. That way I can cut bait and prepare bait bags for the kids without the mad dash and the anxiety that happens on the day of derby.
Well, since I was going to SD on Friday, why not jump on a ¾ day Sportfishing boat for some great fishing that is going on these days. More on that on another report.

After getting back from the boat trip, with a help of another volunteer we prepared bags for four (4) hours. I hit the bed at 1:00 AM and got up at 6:30 AM to go to the pier.

Arrived at pier about 7:30 AM. The pier was full of activity with anglers registering and picking up bait and waiting for the 9:00 AM start time. The derby was over at noon when the lunch was served. The organizers gave out goodie bags to the kids at registration, and have done away with the long and tiring raffle process.

I left the pier for Los Angles around 2:00 PM.

Here are some pictures of the day:

1-It was a smaller crowd compared to the years past.

2-UPSAC was represented as usual to help with bait bag preparation.

3-Catherine Miller of San Diego Sportfishing Council (blue vest, white hat) leads the volunteers to put up this derby.

4-My Turkish speaking friend Vic (on the left) is talking to staff from the IGFA who runs the derby and does the presentations. Vic work with the SD Sportfishing council.

The F&W had a booth to provide written information for the anglers.

5-Tommy Gomez of Catalina Offshore products, on the left, provides what is needed and pays his crew to come and prepare delicious tacos for everyone.

6-Delisious tacos. This year it was sea bass and Tuna.

Overall fishing was slow. We did some chumming, but the tide was low and not much water movement.

7-Happy angler with a good size thornback.

8-Addition of derby contestants to the pier regulars made for a busy pier.

9-San Diego Anglers were there too to help out.

10-It was a sight to see the Ronald Regan aircraft carrier to pass on the way to the North Island Navy facility.

11-Happy anglers with their catch.

12-Thomas has been coming to this derby from San Francisco for many years. He usually wins his division. He won the 15 years old division this year.

I had to leave before finding out if he won the overall division or not. This would be his last year, since he will be too old next year.
I hope he can come and visit us anyways.

13-The great crew that made my job much, much easier.

I posted on three websites about the derby to see who can help out. I was lucky and had some great help. They did whatever was asked from them.

Mr. Jive who lives in Georgia and was visiting had seen the post on Pierfishing.com and came to help out.
Mr. Terry (Capskunk) from the SC Surf Fishing, and a young man named William from San Diego anglers offered their help too.
Mr. Chris (MB surf) from the Kayak website BWE was kind enough to come on Friday and spend four (4) hours helping me prepare bait bags. He then showed up with his son early on Saturday to distribute bait bags before I got to the pier. It was very kind of him. Unfortunately he had to leave before we took the group picture.

We also had a long time pier angler offer his help.

One more derby is in the books.
This year I will again go a day earlier to cut bait, but will take a 1/2 day boat. That way I am not too exhausted to prepare the bait bags.

The End.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Good man Hashem! WSB release this Saturday...are you coming? Me and greg are gonna be there.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
AngryTurtle
Junior

PM sent! planning on being there!
AngryTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Good man Hashem! WSB release this Saturday...are you coming? Me and greg are gonna be there.

Yes, I will be there.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
Sheephead

This event looks tricked out compared to 9 yrs ago when I went. Keep up the great work, those memories last forever!
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
Mahigeer

Thanks we will.

Last minute note to anybody who is coming.

A chair, wide brim hat, sunglasses and a line cutter is very useful.

See you on the pier at 7:00 AM.

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
Mahigeer

Once again I attended the Shelter Island Kid’s Derby in San Diego. There were maybe less than 100 kids this year. A lot of mackerel were caught, with a short halibut and even a puffer fish.

I had help from friends on three different fishing websites. We distributed donated bait to the participants and helped with scoring the cards

1-The sponsor’s banners were hung with care. Participants were starting to arrive and register.

2-The most unusual catch of the day was a puffer fish. It was before the start of the derby, so it did not count.

3-Mrs. Miller is the head of the SD Sportfishing council and the organizers of this and the “Day at the Dock” event. Vic is her assistance. He blew me away the first time I met him with him speaking some Turkish.

4-Some of the volunteers are waiting to try the delicious Opa tacos. Tommy is in the background. Every year he pays his crew to come and prepare tacos for us free of charge.

5-The crew is preparing hot dogs in addition to tacos. Soft drinks, water, chips, and some sweets were also available for all the participants, parents and the volunteers.

6-I posted for help on three fishing websites and I had help from all three.

7-Winner in the 16 years old category.

8-This year’s overall winner. His name will be added to the bottom of the trophy

Another successful event thanks to all the volunteers.

You are the best.

The End.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:49 AM   #11
MrPukaShell

Great job
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #12
Saba Slayer

More...

We need more folks like you that are willing to give up some of their precious time to help the kids and give to others...THANKS...!

Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #13
Mahigeer

Thanks guys.

We need to get more kids into fishing.

They are the ones that have to protect the future of fishing. If they like fishing, then maybe they will look after it.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #14
david886720

Well done Mahigeer and volunteers
david886720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #15
Mahigeer

Thank you.

Here is a link to a post by Gary Graham.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/young-angl...families-bond/

Last edited by Mahigeer; 08-20-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #16
Mahigeer

Here is a link to a post by Gary Graham.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/young-angl...families-bond/