Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Feedback on this VHF

Anybody used or heard about the quality of this vhf. Wife was thinking of getting it for me for xmas. It has gps but was thinking about getting a ff/gps combo... Any advice?

UNIDEN MYSTIC VHF Radio with DSC (Digital Selective Calling) and GPS Receiver (Magellan MapSend CD Included)
JIS7 Submersible
Full Screen Mapping GPS
DSC (Digital Selective Calling)
Large Data Display Screens
Full Navigation Screens
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

From a safety point of view it makes sense to have GPS and your MB radio in one package. With DSC you can transmit your position and talk to rescuers. I would just want to make sure that the NAV display can be viewed while using the radio.
For practical purposes I would rather have a FF/GPS combo and a separate radio. I like to keep the radio on my PFD where I have quick access and if I go in the water the radio goes with me. I want my GPS in front of me where I can see it. That's just my personal preference, but I want to be able to see my course track while paddling. I also want to be able to mark/store productive spots and structure on my FF.
I'm not completely sold on Uniden. I've heard some negative reports on Uniden's reliability. I've used their scanners, but I found them to be a little flimsy. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it were made by Standard Horizon or ICOM. Before you buy you should demo a unit and see if it is easy and convenient to use. Think about how manage comms and navigation functions while you are paddling and would this radio make things easier or more efficient.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
John M

Can't go wrong with Standard Horizon radio. Long history of quality products.
I just sent my hand held in for a new case. It was corroding. Shipped out of Escondido on Tuesday and back to me on Friday. They paid for shipping both ways.
If you need work on your radio it helps to e-mail first and describe problem, then the right thing gets done.
I prefer to have the radio on pfd, and have GPS mounted so can watch location on screen.

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Mr_PeaCH

I use the Uniden Mystic and I absolutely love it.

To address the 'issue' of having your VHF/GPS in a heads-up arrangement like you would your FF, here is what I constructed: (sorry, no pics, but bear with me)

Everyone knows about the Scotty products. Well I bought a mount and modified it to 'holser' a VHF in a heads-up way; basically I whittled down a block of wood and put a big U-bracket into it and bolted it down to the Scotty platform in lieu of a FF. Then I got the Scotty Triple-bar and I can hold the FF, the VHF/GPS and a rod holder all side-by-side in front of me.

But back the the Mystic; I definately recommend it and love having a GPS unit out on the water. I'll leave the FF behind before I fish without GPS at this point.
Mr_PeaCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

i dont like the idea of a unit that does both vhf and gps. If it goes on the fritz your screwed.... uniden has a record of doing just that... I now own icoms. Not to mention, the gps on that unit is not that great... harder to use than garmin, and overall dissapointing. The mystic is more vhf than gps. I always recomend buying the best handheld radio possible to for kayakers... the icom handheld with the 6 watt power setting... more range.
uniden makes a lot of products, most not marine based... telephones and shit... which ive also been disapointed with. Go with a brand that specializes in marine radios... icom or Standard H
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Grego

Important safety stuff...just bought a Standard Horizon HX600S
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote