Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
DanaPT

Dana point off shore.

Well maybe not as far as some but further than I've been on my kayak. I was loaded up and on the water by 440 am. 3 boats in line for bait 2 from dana wharf and 1 PB. I did not buy bait but tried to catch a couple macs at the barge. No luck. Trolled sabiki on my way out for nothing.

At the headlands at 550. Caught 1 mac but lost it screwing around trying to prime bait tank. 1 caught CA Selma. Nothing else. Bummer. Figured I had flatfalls so off I went in a north west direction.

In 100 ft of water noticed bait and Mark's on FF. drop sabiki for 1 mac. Hooked it up and off I went.

Sunrise was amazing. No signs of life, except brief encounter with small pod of dolphins, no kelp paddys. At 930 turned back. Swell was short period and a lot of texture on water. Hard to see anything, it all looked like floating kelp.

Went back to headlands. On the way birds working water but moving way too fast, same 100ft depth. Dropped flat fall on a mark and caught macs.

Hindsight, shoulda worked the are with life when I saw it at 6 am. Using the GPS coordinates about 5 miles out and back for another skunk.

Wind non issue but picked up at 11 am blowing south. Water 76.5 degrees out there but 72 near shore.

Now back to work, sore and tired.
Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
filipino_angler

dana point offshore

did the same thing 2 days ago with roger from torrance that i met at the ramp. lots of bait in the water and caught some macs but we did not find any kelp paddies. we tried trolling for halibut near the beach. roger hooked up a small hali and i hooked up a legal halibut but i lost it. i was using a 10 inch live mackerel.
filipino_angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
Vikingj

Hey, M. Thanks for report and beautiful photos. You might not have hit your target this time but you got some priceless time otw. When I was out yesterday there was no significant bait until I reached 90-100'. My meter showed a solid mass of bait from 80-100' deep that continued forever. I got over a dozen to stock up for bug season. Several PBs were doing the same.
See next month for
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
smokie

Way to give it a shot, thanks for the report and pics!

Would love to try that someday, but its hard enough planning an 8 hour drive just to LJ!
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Been wanting to make a run outside, can't bring myself to do it alone..........and work has been keeping me locked up!
Old 08-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
DanaPT

Going solo is probably not the best idea. Even the best preparation can't prevent something bad from happening. Seems power and soil boats are drawn to kayaks way out there. I guess from far away, a kayaker looks like kelp I dunno? I do know thos boats come awfully close. With so much open space why? The world may never know.

I'm down to go again solo or with others. Let me know and let's plan something.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
radastaff

I got rooster tailed 2+ mi out few years back.
Wont go out far there solo again.
I think

P
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I did not buy bait but tried to catch a couple macs at the barge. No luck. Trolled sabiki on my way out for nothing.
Went out of Dana on a cattle boat last week, while we where loading up, a small charter out of there, where killings the macs at the barge waiting for bait.. They where stripping and chunking something either mac or sardine then tossing them on tiny single hooks flylined or on little weight.. No sabiki.. just for future referencece ..

Thanks for the report!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote