Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Dave Legacy

Wavy Hull

Hey dudes,

It seems like no matter how hard I try to care for my kayak it just inevitable takes a beating. I have a Malibu Pro 2 Tandem and the hull has become quite warped and wavy from being up on the Thule roof saddles and possible even my wheeled cart. I'm using the Thule straps (not ratcheting) and still my hull is getting crushed.

Today I let the hull warm in the sun and used a little hot water to warm the area for minimal gains (didn't want to get too nuts with the heat especially around the scuppers!). Doesn't seem like I'm going to get much better than this, so...

How big of a deal is it to have a wavy hull?

Do all rotomolded kayaks suffer from this or are Malibu Kayaks more prone to it? If this is a Malibu thing I might consider a different kayak maker next time around.

Best regards,

Dave
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
YOYOYaker
Junior

Dave, my Extreme suffers from the same thing. I'm pretty sure any rotomolded PE kayak can get the bends. I have seen a Hobie repair video where they sealed all hatches and openings, then pressurized the hull with LOW pressure, high volume air through the drain plug hole. They then poured boiling water onto the entire area around the low spot, then quenched it with cold water once the low area looked corrected. I would think sun-preheat would also help. I would try a good shop vac's blower side for the air source, but have not tried it myself yet.

It is very important to set your rack's support pads only under reinforced areas of the hull. The scupper holes are usually the strongest areas, and the best spots for the pads. If you can't put the pads by the scuppers, pick an area that has tighter compound curves instead of a flat area. Compound curves are stronger than flats.

Good luck.
YOYOYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The big flat areas of plastic are weak compared to a design with more curves or bends. Also I can't know for sure because I've never measured hull thicknesses, but both my Malibus felt thin walled compared to other brands I've owned. For example, the footwell area on my Stealth felt weak and seemed unsuitable for standing, I could feel the gunwales flex under my hands when I used them to support my weight to move in the seat, and in my X-Factor I remember feeling the entire hull flex while going over big chop. Just got to remember they are entry level kayaks IMO and that is reflected in their cost of half the price of some other brands.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Dave Legacy

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll be more cautious of where I place the saddles when I transport the kayak next time. For now I'll try not to let the appearance of my hull bother me!
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll be more cautious of where I place the saddles when I transport the kayak next time. For now I'll try not to let the appearance of my hull bother me!
I haven't seen any warping in my Pro 2 tandem, but I'm not looking at the bottom much so I hope I'm not missing something.