Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
jorluivil

Pssssssst

You going out this weekend?

My buddy just canceled on me, we were supposed to go out early morning on Sunday. Anyone doing a 2am or 3am launch? I don't mind going solo but would prefer to go out with a group. Except for that monster Batray that I caught a few weeks ago I'm fishless, 0 - 3 to be exact. I need to try my luck at the late night/early early early morning bite.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
newguy01

sunday

just a heads up make sure you have a compass or gps if you out early AM and its foggy. i went out this morning at 4 and its pea soup out there and todd he lunch before me and he came back 1hr later because he coulnt tell hes going. nice to meet you todd and thanks for the heads up pretty slow for me all day just 2 good size calico for monday. good luck
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
bmercury

You know you are getting spoiled when catching a batray no longer counts. They are sure a lot of fun. Never tugged on one from a 'yak though.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy01 View Post
just a heads up make sure you have a compass or gps if you out early AM and its foggy.
For those of us who do not carry a GPS or even a compass, there is a resource that some may forget they have with them. iPhones and most other smart phones have a compass app included. If your phone does not have this app, I am sure it can be downloaded for free.

Although I have not tried it, I bet that if you entered the address for the OEX shop at the shores in a smart phone's map app, you would probably be given a vector to this location along with your distance from the place. I will try to confirm this next time I go out unless someone beats me to it.

These apps could help you get home in an emergency.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
For those of us who do not carry a GPS or even a compass, there is a resource that some may forget they have with them. iPhones and most other smart phones have a compass app included. If your phone does not have this app, I am sure it can be downloaded for free.

Although I have not tried it, I bet that if you entered the address for the OEX shop at the shores in a smart phone's map app, you would probably be given a vector to this location along with your distance from the place. I will try to confirm this next time I go out unless someone beats me to it.

These apps could help you get home in an emergency.

Bob

Great idea!! I usually use Google maps on my phone but can also download a compass application. If calibrated, Google maps is accurate to with 5-10 feet so it wil help you get home.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
blackcloud9
Kayaker

"For those of us who do not carry a GPS or even a compass ..."

Really? Pea soup foggy but knowing where you are = Priceless.

Maybe it's just me, from my winter midnight hooping fog adventures and rockfishing and having a family, but my GPS seems well worth it. A little keychain compass is $7.50 at REI ....
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote