Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
summers in kuwait

Intro and Kayak Recommendations

Greetings all,

My name's Todd, I'm a San Diego native and I've been fishing since I was a little kid. I can remember riding my bike in middle school to Lake Murray, inflate my float tube, catch blue gill, bass, trout, etc and ride home. Since those days I've fished on friends boats periodically in local waters both fresh and salt.

In 2005 I moved to Humboldt County for school and was able to fish Steelhead in the Mad River. I then started fishing from my landlord's old town canoe in the local lagoons and got hooked. Shortly after that I borrowed a cobra tandem from dad when his health declined and fished that solo for ~5 years, fishing Trinidad head / Humboldt bay for mainly Ling Cod & dungeness crab and shark.

I moved back to San Diego in 2009 and I've been doing a lot of shore fishing for corbina, spot fin croaker, halibut on light line. Last year I was able to purchase a Pompano 120 from WM and I've been heading out every weekend to various parts of San Diego Bay, catching bass, croaker, corvina, halibut and other species.

I really enjoy this site. Very informative and often entertaining. I've built a bait tank, learned how to make bait and Im really enjoying myself, in addition to bringing home some fish for the family.

Im currently looking to diversify my fishing and head out to La Jolla and other spots. I've surfed Blacks, Wind & Sea, Sunset Cliffs & occasionally spearfish and I feel pretty comfortable in the ocean. But Im at the point where I think I want to upgrade my kayak. I really like the pompano 120 for what it is, and at 5'10" & 150 lbs its been a good fit especially in the bays, but the times I've surf launched and paddled the cove and La Jolla waters, I found the kayak a little small and it presents some challenges for storage when going fishing.

I've been down and visited the guys at OEX, really helpful and they offer some nice stuff. I'd prefer to barter some of my other hobbies, MTB and music for a kayak and Im thinking about selling the pompano to fund a new or used kayak.

If there is any insight or recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate or if you spot any deals. I really like the trident 13 and Wilderness Systems kayaks, based on my size and I tested out my buddies Outback, but I think its a little out of my price range.

Thanks
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
ctfphoto

Welcome, to the addiction. I also fished Lake Murray as a kid and was born here as well.

Wilderness Systems is an awesome kayak. Works fantastic in La Jolla. Paddled one for 4 years.

That said, I just bought a 2015 Outback and I am extremely happy with the switch to peddling.

I will be getting it wet tomorrow at dawn.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
summers in kuwait

Hey Christopher,

Thanks for the welcome and reply. I bet that Outback 2015 is pretty sweet with the seat.

PS I checked out your photography page, really nice colors and compositions.
Some great pieces.
I got a BA in Art Studio with an emphasis in photography from Humboldt State. I did mostly alternative process silver gelatin printing.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
ctfphoto

Todd, thank you.

Whenever you want to try La Jolla I would be willing to show you around as it seems we have a lot in common.

I will be launching before dawn tomorrow as it seems there may be a wide open yellowtail bit going on.

You will find that this is the most awesome sport ever and is extremely addicting.

Fish on, Chris
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

I had a wilderness systems tarpon 140 and it served me well in la jolla. Great kayaks. You have to think about length for for transportation reasons as well as surf-ability/comfortability. Don't think I would go shorter than 12' in length or longer than 15' maybe 16'. The tarpon comes in a 12, 14, and 16'. I suggest test paddling a boat before you make the final decision, could save you money. OEX is great about letting you test any boat before buying. Hope that helps a little and hope to see you out in La Jolla soon. You definitely picked a good season to get the ball Rollin.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
Fishin Phil

Try a pro angler or an Outback. Your legs have four times the muscle mass compared to your arms. Once you use a mirage drive there is no going back. You'll see.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
corpsmanusn2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Phil View Post
Try a pro angler or an Outback. Your legs have four times the muscle mass compared to your arms. Once you use a mirage drive there is no going back. You'll see.
Yep. Save and get what you'll love. Use whatever beater you have in the meantime.
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Irishman

Welcome!!!!
I'm 5'10 and 200lbs. Paddle a xfactor that's a great platform that I've had for two plus years, blem model I scored from OEX at $450.
If I could rewind the clock would go the hobie route. Outback is a often overlooked option as ppl get fixated on the PA models. Save your money and buy once.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Phil View Post
I got an X Factor, and after a long day on the water with long paddles, I wish I had a mirage drive. My traps are pretty sore the next day. I like the storage capacity of the x factor, but for open waters and long paddles make wish I had an outback or pa.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
I got an X Factor, and after a long day on the water with long paddles, I wish I had a mirage drive. My traps are pretty sore the next day. I like the storage capacity of the x factor, but for open waters and long paddles make wish I had an outback or pa.

Non-sense! Hobies are for wusses! Stop wishin' and keep on paddling!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Non-sense! Hobies are for wusses! Stop wishin' and keep on paddling!
Lol, keeps me in shape, that's for sure!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
easyday

Or you could check out the new Thresher from Wilderness Systems. I have one and love it. It has close to the speed of a Tarpon and is designed to be a fish catching platform.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
summers in kuwait

I really appreciate all the replies and feedback. I should have known that posting "kayak recommendation" would lead to the pedal vs paddle discussion.
That said, I fished my buddies outback about a month ago and after 8 hrs on the bay today with some fun wind chop, Im heading over to the dark side. I think it just makes sense for me. That said I will miss surfing/fishing the 120.
She's up for sale

I wont be getting a Hobie anytime soon, due to the fact that they cost more than most of the cars I've own put together, but I'll be looking for hopefully a used model with turbo fins and a newer seat for my back (fractured two vertebrae in high school)

Now the real question:

which model?
Old 04-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
coxtanker421

Thanks for interest

That outback for 1000$ would be a great starter . It's amazing how well the hobies hold value .
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #15
summers in kuwait

I saw that. Looks like a pretty good dea, I think it's a 2005. I've got a few people interested in my old kayak and if I can sell my mtb I'll be in the range for a nice used kayak. that 2014 you're selling has the new seat?