Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
goldenglory18

First time in Huntington Harbor - Skunk

Wifey and I hit Huntington Harbor for the first time on Saturday. We got on the water right as the marine layer started to break. Tide was super low, and the fishing was super slow.

I came armed with what has been working on Marina Del Rey, but it wasn't the ticket for HH. The water in HH is much clearer than MDR, and I was totally under prepared. I threw three different color hard jerk baits, and two different colored 4" swimbaits and didnt even get a bump. I eventually switched to a drop shot rigged with a 4" jackall bait, but at that point we needed to start paddling back so I didnt get a chance to really slow down like I think I needed to.

Either way, another great day on the water thanks to the guys (and gal!) at OEX. I think I FINALLY found the right boat for me and will be able to get out a lot more regularly.

Happy Monday everyone!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Dave Legacy

Good effort, dude. Might I suggest a 3" BH instead inside the harbor? I have always had better luck fishing small on the inside.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Good effort, dude. Might I suggest a 3" BH instead inside the harbor? I have always had better luck fishing small on the inside.
Yep, I figured that out about half way through my day. Like I said before, I was wildly unprepared.

Any suggestion on color combos to look at for HH? The majority of the patterns I have are either orange/green/red based because of the murky MDR water, or are clear with red flake which was suggested to me by someone and I really dont know why.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Yep, I figured that out about half way through my day. Like I said before, I was wildly unprepared.

Any suggestion on color combos to look at for HH? The majority of the patterns I have are either orange/green/red based because of the murky MDR water, or are clear with red flake which was suggested to me by someone and I really dont know why.
There's not as many spotties in HH as compared to the SD harbors, but the ones in there are chunky and grumpy. Red works but finbait colors are even better. You can get those fish on just about any spottie lure. The type usually depends on the conditions and available bait. Pay attention to what's in the water and mimic it and you will be rewarded. The water is only going to get warmer and with it more fish activity.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post

Clear/red flake is a killer color that I have yet to embrace for bass. I know a guy who uses a CRF 3" Grub on a Football jighead and just kills it from his slip. It's my go-to color in the surf on bright days. Colors like Sexy Smelt and Bay Smelt are always winners in my book. Truth be told I try to not get too caught up on colors.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
There's not as many spotties in HH as compared to the SD harbors, but the ones in there are chunky and grumpy. Red works but finbait colors are even better. You can get those fish on just about any spottie lure. The type usually depends on the conditions and available bait. Pay attention to what's in the water and mimic it and you will be rewarded. The water is only going to get warmer and with it more fish activity.
Thanks for the info, but my trips down to SD will be few and far between.

That was my main issue yesterday: absolutely no reference point in matching the bait. The only living beings I witnessed in my 3ish hour float was micro. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Clear/red flake is a killer color that I have yet to embrace for bass. I know a guy who uses a CRF 3" Grub on a Football jighead and just kills it from his slip. It's my go-to color in the surf on bright days. Colors like Sexy Smelt and Bay Smelt are always winners in my book. Truth be told I try to not get too caught up on colors.
Same here, I know colors, more often than not, catch more fisherman than fish, but there is some truth to matching the hatch and presenting an attractive bait. Bummer to hear that now...I had 4" CRF big hammers on deck that I could have thrown on a small jighead.....
Old 03-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Harry Hill

It took me an hour longer to get to Dana Point the other day than it does to San Diego. I hate going to Orange County.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 AM   #8
ROSSOLY

Were you in a tandem and if so, which one?
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #9
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSOLY View Post
Were you in a tandem and if so, which one?
Nope, my wife was on her SUP and I was in my new Ride 135.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
spottie_slayer

Stop by Big Fish in Seal Beach they'll set you up
spottie_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #11
DPevin

Keep it simple in Huntington. I use to tube it with my co workers and would always try and get tricky throwing blades and all kinds of stuff. Meanwhile my co worker would post up at the end of one dock in a side channel with his 3" BH in christmas tree with a red lead head and slay legal spotties and butts all day...everytime we would go, we would kick all over the place and he would just go straight to the same spot every time and stay there the whole time crushing it haha.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #12
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPevin View Post
Keep it simple in Huntington. I use to tube it with my co workers and would always try and get tricky throwing blades and all kinds of stuff. Meanwhile my co worker would post up at the end of one dock in a side channel with his 3" BH in christmas tree with a red lead head and slay legal spotties and butts all day...everytime we would go, we would kick all over the place and he would just go straight to the same spot every time and stay there the whole time crushing it haha.
Its funny when it works that way. Sometimes I think the more you know about fishing, the harder it is to catch fish. LOL

I think my main problem was profile and speed. Next time, I'll present a much smaller, much slower bait.