Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge   Kayak Fishing Mothership trips aboard Islander

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Senior Member
 
Mr. NiceGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 605
Sabiki Hook Extractor

I still lack finesse in removing sticky sabiki hooks from mackerel flopping around in my lap and getting them into my bait tank with minimal fuss and handling.

I've tried the small wire hook extractors allegedly designed for this purpose, but they don't seem to help much.

I wonder if my treble hook extractor for trout might work for mackerels on a sibiki? Has anyone tried these?

Anything else faster/easier/gentler than needle nose pliers?


__________________


"
Another ho-hum day in paradise"




Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-16-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor
 
ful-rac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Buena Park
Posts: 3,513
Just get one of these...

Or you can make your own...it's all you need.


https://www.amazon.com/SDH-Small-Deh...words=dehooker
__________________
There's nothing colder than yesterday's hotdog.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
NICKWORN
Senior Member
 
NICKWORN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 333
YEP

Use bigger sabiki hooks, easy to pull off, no tangles and they catch more bait in my opinion. Walmart carries a Mustad brand that will last 6x trips easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61IsIDQVVfL._SL1200_.jpg (38.7 KB, 321 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
FullFlavorPike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 539
that R&R dehooker works awesome
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
ProfessorLongArms
Member
 
ProfessorLongArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Highland Park, CA
Posts: 82
I use something similar to that r&r... works wonders. Takes a little bit of practice to not get a hook in your hand just the same though. So long as you grab below the hook and lift up, it works every time. .... though I disagree the bigger hooks are needed. I actually have to use really small hooks so they don’t snag on my Sibiki rod.
ProfessorLongArms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
NICKWORN
Senior Member
 
NICKWORN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 333
Sabiki Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
I use something similar to that r&r... works wonders. Takes a little bit of practice to not get a hook in your hand just the same though. So long as you grab below the hook and lift up, it works every time. .... though I disagree the bigger hooks are needed. I actually have to use really small hooks so they don’t snag on my Sibiki rod.
You mean those guide-less poles? haha such a waste, espically that time you get hit by some pelagic while using the sabiki.

Squid sabiki with bigger hooks are hands down the best bet! I have never had an issue taking the maks off by hand and having them less lively and I have caught a few YT in my day.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
WestFork
Junior
 
WestFork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 21
"Anything else faster/easier/gentler than needle nose pliers?"

My favorite on delicate fish is a kind of forceps, aka "roach clip," durable stainless steel, no-slip jaws, clamps shut. I keep one on a lanyard on my fly-fishing vest. Sometimes even barbless hooks are hard to remove and as long as you can see the hook, the forceps make its removal simple.

The plastic tool you show works even if the hook is swallowed so far you can't see it, but it needs to fit the size hooks you're using. My experience is some hooks are too small for even the small side. No, it's not especially gentle.

A link to one source of the forceps:
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Fo...h+hook+remover
WestFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
jrip
Water dog
 
jrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Burbank
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
I still lack finesse in removing sticky sabiki hooks from mackerel flopping around in my lap and getting them into my bait tank with minimal fuss and handling.

I've tried the small wire hook extractors allegedly designed for this purpose, but they don't seem to help much.

I wonder if my treble hook extractor for trout might work for mackerels on a sibiki? Has anyone tried these?

Anything else faster/easier/gentler than needle nose pliers?


One way is to flatten the barb and pull then in quickly. I've watched a video and expect that's how they get baitfish off so easily.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor
 
ful-rac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Buena Park
Posts: 3,513
One of the main reasons for the de-hooker is it allows you to keep the bait in the best possible condition. The main thing that damages bait is believe it or not...not the hook, (unless you hook it deep) it's just handling it. This tool allows you to keep the handling down to a minimum, thus keeping your bait in as pristine condition as possible, thus catching you more fish. Forceps do work but it's more difficult to unhook bait on a sabiki without having to handle it. The other tool also known as a disgorger is just not good at all for unhooking a bait and keeping it alive.
__________________
There's nothing colder than yesterday's hotdog.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
sanomick
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 50
I've been using this for 40 years - easy to make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dehooker.jpg (51.7 KB, 266 views)
sanomick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #11
TheBentRod
Senior Member
 
TheBentRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanomick View Post
I've been using this for 40 years - easy to make.
Every day I forget to make one of these. Going in the garage in the morning and doing it!!
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
ProfessorLongArms
Member
 
ProfessorLongArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Highland Park, CA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
You mean those guide-less poles? haha such a waste, espically that time you get hit by some pelagic while using the sabiki.

Squid sabiki with bigger hooks are hands down the best bet! I have never had an issue taking the maks off by hand and having them less lively and I have caught a few YT in my day.
PSHHHHH.
Good thing mine was given to me.

Also glad to be in a place that I wouldn't consider 50 dollar rod a "Waste"

To each their own, I guess.

I've done it both ways, and enjoy the peace of mind of not having a kayak full of tiny hooks to manage.
ProfessorLongArms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
Nicko
Junior
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22
I just use the backside of a butter knife, works for me!
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #14
Mahigeer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
You mean those guide-less poles? haha such a waste, espically that time you get hit by some pelagic while using the sabiki.

I have used the Ahi bait rod for many years on piers and found them very helpful in managing hooks, ease of storing hooks and placing them in my car.

I have both sizes. They are grrrrrrrreat. They are even better for boat and kayak fishing.

Anybody who has them and hates them, can give them to me. I will find good home for them.

As to removing hooks, the bent wire one is a good tool.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #15
T-Rex
Senior Member
 
T-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rancho Santa Margarita
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
One of the main reasons for the de-hooker is it allows you to keep the bait in the best possible condition. The main thing that damages bait is believe it or not...not the hook, (unless you hook it deep) it's just handling it. This tool allows you to keep the handling down to a minimum, thus keeping your bait in as pristine condition as possible, thus catching you more fish. Forceps do work but it's more difficult to unhook bait on a sabiki without having to handle it. The other tool also known as a disgorger is just not good at all for unhooking a bait and keeping it alive.
X2. Using a dehooker is very easy and efficient once you get the technique down. Just put the bend of the dehooker on the bend of the hook, keep tension on the line, flip it upside down and the bait will fall off into your tank. No more than a shake or two will be needed to get really hooked bait off and there's no loss of slime or scales.
__________________
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.
 
alanw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dana Point
Posts: 1,548
I use my dehooker for releasing bass and everything else without touching them.
__________________
Hobie PA 14 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Jackson Kraken ¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Malibu X-Factor ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>


Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
MrPukaShell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ventura COunty
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I just use the backside of a butter knife, works for me!
This is old school right here and works really good give it a try
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #18
Mahigeer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,190
I use this one for removing hooks, but not for live bait. BPS has them on sale for about $8.00 sometimes.
Much better than needle nose for deep hooked fish:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camillus-Fi...EAAOSwtZJY9ZTP


I got these too, but yet to try them:
https://www.amazon.com/BleuMoo-Porta...ords=dehookers

I got this for trout release, but have not used it on live bait yet:
http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto...etchum-release
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
EastLosYaker
Senior Member
 
EastLosYaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Los Angeles
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I just use the backside of a butter knife, works for me!
x2
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #20
fishnfoool
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long beach
Posts: 169
Go barbless.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.