Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
steamroll

Exclamation THEFT - Mission Bay

One more reason not to bass fish....

My truck and a few other kayakers cars were broken into recently in the Mission Bay area. I usually just bring my keys and leave my phone and wallet in my truck. They took my wallet and went on an East County spending spree hitting up every Target and Walmart they could until I cancelled my accounts. Be careful.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Arne

That just plain sucks - F'n thieves. We've gotta be easy targets for anyone watching us unload. Thanks for the heads up.
Arne
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
rastrev

That sucks Nate! Which parking lot was it in? I was looking at some stats from SDPD and the PB area is one of the worst for property crimes
rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
steamroll

I was hit at Ski Beach. Brian Sanner was hit at Bahia. I'm gonna cruise by that small police station at Dana Landing and file a report this afternoon.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Nate thanks for posting this here as well. It has happened at LJ Shores in the past as well. A friend who dives told me he would never put a diving sticker on his vehical because it is an invitation to theives, the empty kayak rack near water works the same. I usually have made a point to cover up anything of value in my truck when I go, but will have to make the point of taking my wallet from now on.

Hod did they get in?

Cancelling credit cards and replacing the drivers license is such a pain! Sucks and I hope they gettum!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

Sorry about the theft, I hate that feeling. I started bringing my cell phone and wallet out with me mostly just in case I get stranded somewhere not close to my car, but I also don't like to leave my wallet anywhere.

When my wallet was stolen I was only out about $20 in cash because the CC companies covered the spending spree, but it was such a pain to replace everything. That's when I discovered that American Express has the best customer care when it comes to those kinds of things. The new card arrived the day after it was taken and was my only source of money for about a week.

-Patrick

edit: my theft happened a year or so ago at my apartment, not fishing related
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
bluesquids

That sucks! Thanks for the warning. Think I'll make a bumper sticker on a magnet to put over my dive/yak stickers. It's gonna read...
" I tweekers".
Old 02-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
T-Rex

Sorry about the theft. Push aggressively with the SDPD to follow up because both Walmart & Target have video surveillance systems. Unfortunately everyone is usually pretty reluctant to put much effort into catching run-of-the-mill dirtbag petty thieves.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Sorry to hear about the theft, Nate. I hope the catch the scum bags. I guess it has come to taking everything with you just to be on the safe side.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:39 PM   #10
ironman123

Here is a link to a product that might be useful. I saw it advertised on a surfing website and am thinking about getting one.

http://www.duhastorage.com/ProductDe...ode=HS%2D7000T
ironman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
kareem korn

Man

Sorry to hear that. That has happened to me out here in lake perris. I leave nothing in my truck. I have three pelican box's, and bring everything, wallet, $$, keys, sunglasses, cellphone. I even bring my truck paperwork ie...insurance papers, regestration. I keep it in an envelope. Always assume someone is you unload.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
johncomelater

That suck real bad. Sorry for you.

I bring a pelican case with wallet, phone, keys and snap ring.

I keep it in the kayak and dont leave anything in the car. They can have me beater radio

If I have to ditch the kayak I snap the case to my PFD.

Too many yahoos out there.

KARMA TO THE THIEVES!
johncomelater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Brian Sanner

Yeah, people that have trucks with shells on them need to be careful as well. A friend of mine had his truck broken into at LJ last year. They simply busted the cheapo locks on the shell and crawled into the bed. Once they get in, they are able to take their time getting in (if vehicle has a split window or slider) as they are not able to be seen once in the bed of the truck. Trucks with shells can make for easy targets. Had my passenger door lock/handle assembly destroyed twice in less than a year.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
cabojohn
PROBATION

Yikes -
I thought my junk was safe inside the shell? Guess not. Thanks for the heads up.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
bigeye

Why is it that they always shop at Wal-mart in east county. Had our car broke into near the roller coaster, and they took one credit $75 bucks out of my wife's purse, and didn't touch 75 dollars cash or anything else in the car, then locked the car. It was about two days later when the security people at visa called and she found it gone. It's best to take all things from a vehicle and if you cover it it just makes the dirt bag think you've hidden the hope diamond! Tuffy makes some bullet proof security boxes and glove boxes that slows them down...Oh and they shopped at Wal-mart, and Home Depot for $3700 bucks. Put a sculpin under a towel in your camper, better than a dog!!
bigeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
bigeye

Sorry didn't proof read..the dirt bag left all the cash and put everything but the credit card back where they found it. I guess not to give up that they had visited. This gave them a chance to buy some Levi's and potting soil..........And 200 boxes of Sudafed........Tweeeeeeeeeeekers
bigeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #17
kenishere

love the sculpin idealol
rolling in the surf is a speciality enjoyed more by the onlookers
kenishere is offline   Reply With Quote