Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
Saba Slayer

CUDAS

Barracuda are in the SM bay...I got 3 yesterday in about 100' off the Venice Pier. 5 sport boats and only 3 private boats on the fish yesterday. All fish were on the single hook B/W Tady C .
All the fish were 30" or bigger...no need to measure.
BBQ'd some last night for dinner with some Trader Joe's Soyaki, and marinated a bunch overnight for the smoker today.
The wind picked up pretty good in the late morning. Damn Wind!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer
Here's a post I did on another site...
I know it's not a kayak report, but I thought you might like this info
Launched about 7:30am baited up 5 Ambush nets for some Crabs...dropped em in about 85' on a reef then headed towards the MDR / Venice area to try and find some Cudas. The local sportboats were already on some fish when I got there. The fish were in about 100' of water straight off the Venice Pier.
Threw out a Tady C single hook and got my first fish on the first cast on the jig.

They were nice fish, well over legal with no need to measure.

The fish were down and never really went WFO, but there were a lot of nice meter marks and I picked up 3 before I had to get back to pull up my nets before someone else did!
The Crabs crawled pretty good...I averaged 3 nice ones in each net and went home with about 15...and one really big Red Crab.

I cooked em up as soon as I got home and we're having Crab Cakes tonight with some smoked Cuda on a salad.

If you were a Cuda...would you bite the bright shinny new jig or the old one with no paint...they bit the old jig only!!!

I saw this big beauty caught yesterday morning...about 40 pounds of Fat Butt for the proud fishermen.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-16-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #22
mtnbykr2

it's about that time Jimmy....
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #23
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoCody View Post
x2

bleed em and gut em first thing... and try not to let that infamous slime come into contact with the meat, as it will really mess up the flavor, but if it does happen, a good few hours of soaking in milk in the fridge takes care of it pretty well... then just dredge some strips in flour, egg wash, and panko crumbs seasoned to taste, deep fry in hot oil and its TACO TIME (dont forget the cerveza )
X3

If you bleed em, gut em and keep em cool they make some of the best tacos you will ever have.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
Gigafish

15 red crabs to go. Nice.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Barracuda are in the SM bay...I got 3 yesterday in about 100' off the Venice Pier. 5 sport boats and only 3 private boats on the fish yesterday. All fish were on the single hook B/W Tady C .
All the fish were 30" or bigger...no need to measure.
BBQ'd some last night for dinner with some Trader Joe's Soyaki, and marinated a bunch overnight for the smoker today.
The wind picked up pretty good in the late morning. Damn Wind!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer
Here's a post I did on another site...
I know it's not a kayak report, but I thought you might like this info
Launched about 7:30am baited up 5 Ambush nets for some Crabs...dropped em in about 85' on a reef then headed towards the MDR / Venice area to try and find some Cudas. The local sportboats were already on some fish when I got there. The fish were in about 100' of water straight off the Venice Pier.
Threw out a Tady C single hook and got my first fish on the first cast on the jig.

They were nice fish, well over legal with no need to measure.

The fish were down and never really went WFO, but there were a lot of nice meter marks and I picked up 3 before I had to get back to pull up my nets before someone else did!
The Crabs crawled pretty good...I averaged 3 nice ones in each net and went home with about 15...and one really big Red Crab.

I cooked em up as soon as I got home and we're having Crab Cakes tonight with some smoked Cuda on a salad.

If you were a Cuda...would you bite the bright shinny new jig or the old one with no paint...they bit the old jig only!!!

I saw this big beauty caught yesterday morning...about 40 pounds of Fat Butt for the proud fishermen.
didnt you see my post arvil
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

cudas swim in/out of newport and lb alot. but they are all pencils. i'm launching out of the santa ana river jetties in the summer to fish the hb flats
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #27
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
cudas swim in/out of newport and lb alot. but they are all pencils. i'm launching out of the santa ana river jetties in the summer to fish the hb flats
long paddle ahead of you there vince just launch dog beach on a smaller day....
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
yaky yak

I never caught a little cuda tell three years ago, I got several over 10 lbs out of LJ. I gaffed the first big one I hooked. I thought it could of been a wahoo. It went 12lbs. Over those next few months I pick up a few over or close to 10. That same time I also got a 12 pound bonita and a few others over 8lbs. I got the 12 pounder on the sabiki. Their a lot of fun on light tackle.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
rhyak

Its getting close to that time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xPm6Q1Y4k

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #30
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
long paddle ahead of you there vince just launch dog beach on a smaller day....
How far are the reefs/structure from the dog beach launch area? Heard about launching there before but never got around to it. Sounds promising on a calm day.
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
taggermike

The cuda have been pretty rare in So Cal the last few years but it sounds like they're making a real show this year. I have caught loads of big cuda on the yak and they can be a PITA. They usually not too picky and will take a slash at about any thing. I stay away from the cracks and trolling plugs because cuda all ways seam to never quite stop thrashing and multiple trebles+thrashing fish are bad news. The plugs rip the cuda up too. I'll second the Tady C with the single fixed hook. I don't think color is too important because after an hour or so the jigs don't have any paint left on them. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
yakman619
HMFIC

Damn...Now I have the bug!
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #33
yaky yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
The cuda have been pretty rare in So Cal the last few years but it sounds like they're making a real show this year. I have caught loads of big cuda on the yak and they can be a PITA. They usually not too picky and will take a slash at about any thing. I stay away from the cracks and trolling plugs because cuda all ways seam to never quite stop thrashing and multiple trebles+thrashing fish are bad news. The plugs rip the cuda up too. I'll second the Tady C with the single fixed hook. I don't think color is too important because after an hour or so the jigs don't have any paint left on them. Mike
Heed that good advice. Getting three treble hooks out of a cuda is a pain. The single fixed hook is good advice.
I was trying to unhook a large cuda from a repala with it hanging off the side of my kayak, and had a big Knot head rip it right out of my hand. He almost flipped me. I thought it was a shark for a milla -secend. I keep thinking what would of happened had one of those hooks gone in my hand.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #34
taggermike

My PITA statement stems partialy from this incident. I caught a just short bari on a small crocodile with treble. Most of the jig was in the fishes mouth and I was trying to be a nice proper CnR guy. The bari would lay still for a few seconds and then give a big shake. I tried to time the shakes to get near the mouth and remove the hook. My thumb holding the end of the croc was close to that big set of teeth that point down off the roof of thier mouth. Bad idea. One sorta twisting head shake later and I'm bleeding all over. Got the fish off, not so nicely this time and with always wet kayak hands bled until I got back to my car. Long pliers are your friend. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote