Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
DRONE QUESTION

Old man not computer savy. Looking for camera drone that does NOT use cell phone OR tablet............I know about Karma, looking for others that might be better. Karma releases this coming week and is a possibility BUT Go Pro is already working on a better version. So looking else where for now. Thanks guys.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Not sure you are going to be happy with something that doesn't interface with phone or tablet. One needs to be able to see what the camera sees in order to know when to snap the photo or start and stop the video and also to determine focus and exposure by touching different spots on the screen. Also, it does not take much for these things to be out of sight and without the camera view or GPS you will be clueless as to where it is and which way the camera is pointing. I'll bring mine to your place next week for a demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Old man not computer savy. Looking for camera drone that does NOT use cell phone OR tablet............I know about Karma, looking for others that might be better. Karma releases this coming week and is a possibility BUT Go Pro is already working on a better version. So looking else where for now. Thanks guys.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

AWESOME you have the DJI????? See you soon.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
mrJB

Rossman is 100% correct...

Unless you want a small, inexpensive drone to fly around your house or, maybe your backyard on a windless day, you'll want a drone that is connected to a smart phone or tablet.

Back in the day guys/gals used to fly RC aircraft for the fun of the actual flying. In general, that still goes for planes, sailplanes, helicopters and such, but today's quadcopters (i.e., "drones") are a whole new ballgame where the primary attraction is in photography and videography, with a touch of flying thrown in.

Today's mid to high end quadcopters are truly amazing. Coupled with a phone/tablet and with their included GPS and a compass, they are nearly autonomous. Not only can you control them via the remote, but you can now, via your tablet, program them to follow you (motorcycle, car, etc.), fly around a point of interest at any height and radius, or fly predetermined waypoints that you have selected on a map without your drone even turned on and then return "home" and land themselves.

If you're really set on a quadcopter without using a smartphone or tablet, DJI has just come out with a high-end recreational model called the MAVIC that is foldable, super camera, and comes with a controller that can give the basics of flying without a phone or tablet.

Just be careful! Drone flying can become just as addictive (and costly) as kayak fishing...

DJI_0015b.jpg
Old 10-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Guys where I fly have drones and a video display on their radio, no need for phone or tablet. Also the drones have a homing feature, flip the switch and the drone comes back to where it started, gps technology. All kinds of options out there, but I'm an old guy and I fly RC airplanes, no drones in this hanger.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Mr_Fixit

My drones are all home made and transmit video. I receive the video via goggles (FatShark) or a display I mount on my transmitter. The positive is that its a very affordable way to have a lot of fun. If you want high end imaging, you will need a Gopro or some knock off and mount that for recording the flight. You can get really good high resolution cameras for less than $100.

If you are inclined towards a solution out of the box, DJI makes good drones. Yuneec also makes some very good platforms. 3DR has a very good platform as well. the 3DR has some really cool auto-pilot features that are fantastic for new pilots.

My advise before you spend that kind of money is to buy some small cheap drone and fly it around so you learn the basics before you send you expensive drone into a catastrophic crash into the bushes and are unable to recover it.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Low cost drone with FPV

Bob,
I bought this for my Son to learn the art of Droning...

https://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-Altitu...6NGRJM3FQADJ4Z

He absolutely loves it! And it is very easy to fly with the return to home switch, GPS hold, Altitude hold, and follow-me modes. It also has a screen on the controller that is FPV (First Person View), really cool to see what the camera sees when you are flying! Check out the video I posted. Not much $$$ either.

Enjoy! ...Ed
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Thank you ED, it's bigger brother looks cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Bob,
I bought this for my Son to learn the art of Droning...

https://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-Altitu...6NGRJM3FQADJ4Z

He absolutely loves it! And it is very easy to fly with the return to home switch, GPS hold, Altitude hold, and follow-me modes. It also has a screen on the controller that is FPV (First Person View), really cool to see what the camera sees when you are flying! Check out the video I posted. Not much $$$ either.

Enjoy! ...Ed

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

The 'bigger brother' is on my Christmas list!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

So after a few phone calls, guess what???????? There seem to be NO Karmas in the US for sale, none. Maybe by Thanksgiving but should be in time for Christmas????? Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
Mr_Fixit

FYI - Hubsan drones make use of nylon gears between the motor and the prop (You can see the offset in the picture there). This makes for not only a noisy flight, but often mechanical issues develop over time. Dust and various particulates tend to build up in there. If you have even a small crash, the alignment can be compromised and cause the drone to fail or fly strangely.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Good to know, Thanks Mr. Fix it!
Old 10-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Mr_Fixit

HOWEVER... Please dont take that as advice on NOT to get one. They are affordable and great to learn on.

I strongly advise getting a cheap one (Or two... or ten) to learn on before investing 2k on a good drone.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Go Pro KARMA pulled/recalled from the market.
Still looking for drone NOT needing cell, tablet.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
HOWEVER... Please dont take that as advice on NOT to get one. They are affordable and great to learn on.

I strongly advise getting a cheap one (Or two... or ten) to learn on before investing 2k on a good drone.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN