Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

WCW '07 Top 20 Tourney!

Well unfortunately not a lot of whopper for me! Headed north all by my lonesome.......produced one just short halibut, and 2 really large and quite grumpy leopard sharks! Fished quite extensively covering from 10' out to 100 and from the pier on up to North peak, bounce balled, fished trap rig in gear, fly line, carolina rig......fish traps, irons under the birds on the outside...etc..etc.. etc....Very quiet and no current from what I was told and experienced on the outside!

Great fun at the bbq and awards ceremony! Thanks to Brent and his Dad for setting up and doing the work on the bbq, and Corey and Adi for providing the drinks and hauling the bbq!

Congrats to Paul for taking the coveted jackpot/win and to Dave E. for second place and Davster for third!

Great fishing with all of you guys and hanging out with you all after the contest!

Matt F.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Thank God T sharks were not allowed or we would have had a bunch of pups hanging from the trees.........my only action. Second hookup was pretty cool, grey hounding right in front me several times. WCW 08 is officially open for business................who will be the first to post up a submission? Let's make this a year to remember!

Andy
Old 06-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
esdees
The Good Clone

It was good seeing everybody. Thanks for everything guys.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

YEAH! GO AMATEUR SURFER OCEAN BEACH!

Congrats is in order, Paul took the tournament of champions yesterday. Paul had a good read on the current conditions and focused on catching a winning fish (smart). Pound for pound, a heavy payout. I blew my wad pre-fishing and caught a nice White Sea Bass ten hours before the tournament launch time. I did see a nice White Sea Bass caught yesterday (two were also lost), by someone not in the tournament . All I could manage was three of the "oh so elusive T-sharks", again.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
rastrev

It was Good seeing everyone, released a 60ish thresher myself, but that was my only bite for the day. Congrats Paul on the JP fish.

rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
lamb

Good times, good seeing everyone.

Bait was easy, spanish all over, some greenies and deans too. I had one big boil early on my fly-lined green, followed by a T-tail on the surface... I promptly reeled my bruised bait in. Later I picked up one short ling.

WCW Numero 21 showed us how to get it done... Here's Jasmin with his "Tito" impression (someone must have told him that he looks good on pics when he turns his head away )

On my way back, I picked up the fat calico - it hit the spanish on a bounce ball rig.

I just measured inside of my kayak - it must have been over 20". I was in the WSB/YT/halibut mode, didn't even think about JP and released him. I didn't have enough time to make the scales by 12:30 PM anyway.

Congrats all, good fishing in WCW 08.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
EdCal
Junior

I showed up at 5:30 and watched everyone unload and launch. My first time at LaJolla and without my fishing buddies I was alittle intimidated. I was hesitant to launch due to the overcast weather, then decided I was already here so lets give it a go. Easy launch (my 4th beach launch ever) so i was feelin good. Paddled to the kelp to make bait, realized I forgot to pack my sabikis. Oh well, I worked the kelp with strips of squid. Caught several little calicos. fished for a few hours and decided to go, them WHAM my pole was bouncin. Started crankin and was stuck in the weeds. 10 minutes of fighting the kelp this fat calico appears next cast was a decent Sheephead. Headed back in by 10:30, beautiful landing. I felt I had a good day for being a LaJolla rookie

It was pleasure to meet all the peeps I spoke to and hope to meet up again real soon

EdCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Matt
Support your local pangas

Damn!! That's a TOAD calico, and that sheepshead isn't shabby either!!! Nice fish my man!

Matt F
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

sheepshead - great eating fish

calico - great C&R fish

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Corey

I t was fun seeing everyone yesterday despite the slow fishing. Congrats to all the WCW 08 winners & to Jasmin for showing us up.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
aguachico

Too Bad Jasmin didn't get my spot.

Ed Cal; nice goat, sweet calico. I'm cooking cali tacos tomorrow. My taco sauce is mayo, sweet chili sauce and hot(red rooster) chili sauce. yum yum.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #12
amsurferoceanbeach

I'm in

Thanks to a 3lb whopper I can now aford to
play this year. I just singed up for all of the
jackpots.
I had no plan except to try and get a WSB.
When I saw Jasmin pull that fat girl in.
(Very nice bass Jasmin)
I got the ghost fever again and stayed close
to the kelp. I was down to my last bait on
my way in when this 3lb calico eats my 1lb
greenie five feet from my kayak.
Thanks to all. Good talking to the peeps
I,m always reading about.
Time to go find that first submission.
Paul
amsurferoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote