Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Jim Sammons LJKF

Wow, glad you are ok and Thanks for sharing.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Bigappa,

Is a bilge pump something you take with you? Im sure it would hve been difficult to pump your boat out in those conditions because as soon as you start pumping you start drifting further away. But in smaller conditions, bilge pumps can prevent major problems.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
driftwood

Real nasty conditions off La Jolla right now. Hope nobody got caught in this today. Snotty out there!

Webcam Feed from La Jolla

X
Shared snapshot

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
the dude

too many good days in socal to fish the bad days.....
Old 11-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
too many good days in socal to fish the bad days.....
It's hard to turn around and go home when you've driven 100 miles to a fishing spot, but sometimes you have to
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
It's hard to turn around and go home when you've driven 100 miles to a fishing spot, but sometimes you have to
I know that La Jolla seems to be on everyone's mind, but if your looking to salvage a day after driving 100 miles why not drive five more miles south and fish a sheltered part of Mission Bay or San Diego Bay?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post

I did it a few weeks ago

Showed up
Prepared kayak chupacabra for its launch
Got rejected, twice
Broke a cable during launch
Not wanting to fish blind I put my tail between my legs and went home

200 miles round trip.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
BigAppa
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Bigappa,

Is a bilge pump something you take with you? Im sure it would hve been difficult to pump your boat out in those conditions because as soon as you start pumping you start drifting further away. But in smaller conditions, bilge pumps can prevent major problems.
Yeah, you're right. That was definitely part of the issue. I always keep a bilge pump, extra paddle, and emergency dry bag in the hull tied to a scupper. This is the first time I've needed any of those things. After I got back in my kayak and organized my gear as best I could, I opened my center hatch to see how much water got in. In my self rescue exercises, I noticed water would always get in the front hatch. Not a lot, maybe a pint or two. But on Tuesday, I don't know if the front hatch straps were loose or the currents were that strong, but there looked to be several gallons sloshing around in there after I righted my kayak.

The main issue was that the currents kept pushing my kayak broadside into the coming swells, into the 5 to 6 footers that were breaking at the top, and I did not want to flip again, but this time, with the center hatch opened. So I decided to forego the bilge pump and try to make it in.

I've thought a lot about the bilge pump issue the last couple days. Whenever I thought about having to use it, I never envisioned that the conditions would be so bad that I wouldn't be able to use it. Well, now I know. There are times when it's too risky, at least for me, to have the center hatch opened to pump the water out. The only solution I'm aware of is to put an electric bilge pump in the hull like some of the sit-inside kayakers have, and with a flip of a switch, pump all the water out through a hole in the side of the kayak. I've been thinking about installing one of those, but I've come to the conclusion that as a person who wants to keep things as simple as possible while I'm out on the water, it's just not for me. I think I'll just have to use better judgment going forward.
BigAppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
BADASS
Junior

wow that made for good reading. Think before you post.And have a good vhf radio with GPS.
BADASS is offline   Reply With Quote