Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2022, 07:02 PM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 2-14-2022 on the Solo Skiff

This was the 4th trip in the last 9 days to La Jolla in search as usual for Yellowtail. The weather has been improving and water temp is up to 61.4, but the Yellowtail are still illusive. Some days the there are sign they are around and others there is nothing happening. I know that at any time, it could be hook up time. For years it was not that hard to find them. I guess it makes those years so much easier to appreciate. Keep trying and they will come. Had fun being able to get real shallow 9'-17' of water outside the surf zone at Black's Beach and get some video of the surfers waiting for or catching the still large but not as long surf as they usually get. Enjoyed the beautiful weather before the storm.

Last edited by FISH11; 02-16-2022 at 06:34 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:28 PM   #2
Paul1066
Junior

LJ.

Nice video
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
Salty

Great video! I know the feeling. I've been hitting DP literally every weekend this winter for 8+ hours at a time, launching at 5am in the dark just dreaming of a nice WSB or halibut. I know it's a matter of "time on the water"+"right place, right time" so I keep hitting it even after all the skunk days. Last weekend paid off a bit though. Had a halibut, juvi. WSB and a sandy in the kayak all before sunrise. All undersize, but it was refreshing to get some variety and some decent fights(not just pulling up greenbacks all day for lobster bait!). The bite can only get better from here I hope!

As usual, thanks for the videos. Nice to see some good footage out there while stuck home working instead of just daydreaming
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

So much for the theory of the fish biting on the calm before the storm. Beautiful scenery! Love that crystal clear water, always nice, but usually equates to harder fishing -- easier to see the line and hook. Keep em coming Mark!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #5
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Great video! I know the feeling. I've been hitting DP literally every weekend this winter for 8+ hours at a time, launching at 5am in the dark just dreaming of a nice WSB or halibut. I know it's a matter of "time on the water"+"right place, right time" so I keep hitting it even after all the skunk days. Last weekend paid off a bit though. Had a halibut, juvi. WSB and a sandy in the kayak all before sunrise. All undersize, but it was refreshing to get some variety and some decent fights(not just pulling up greenbacks all day for lobster bait!). The bite can only get better from here I hope!

As usual, thanks for the videos. Nice to see some good footage out there while stuck home working instead of just daydreaming
Yeah, it can get frustrating, but catching some undersize and releasing then can help satisfy the fishing part. Since when I started on a Malibu X Factor kayak back in early 2013, I tried to always remember that the MOST important part of any trip was to get a little exercise and to use the time on the water to RELAX and feel better. Not to get all wound up on the fishing side, otherwise what's the point. Time on the water does get rewarded. Being on the water is better for your health than watching a TV or computer screen.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:29 PM   #6
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
So much for the theory of the fish biting on the calm before the storm. Beautiful scenery! Love that crystal clear water, always nice, but usually equates to harder fishing -- easier to see the line and hook. Keep em coming Mark!
I thought the same thing John, on the calm before the storm. It did snow overnight at my house, melted during the day and we'll get some more tonight. It's a change of scenery, but I live low enough that it doesn't stay and it's not a driving problem. The water was super clear in some areas and getting closer to the surfers was rewarding in getting some video that is better even with the GoPro making it seem twice as far.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
pistol

Same Monday

Was out Monday and took the same route. Last couple times bait was tough but found one HUGE pile of perfect size greenbacks at one point- all you wanted. Same result- will use the macs for a last chance hoop night.
pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #8
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Yeah, it can get frustrating, but catching some undersize and releasing then can help satisfy the fishing part. Since when I started on a Malibu X Factor kayak back in early 2013, I tried to always remember that the MOST important part of any trip was to get a little exercise and to use the time on the water to RELAX and feel better. Not to get all wound up on the fishing side, otherwise what's the point. Time on the water does get rewarded. Being on the water is better for your health than watching a TV or computer screen.
Couldn't agree more! Just being on the water, chilling with dolphins, whales, sea lions and sharks and watching awesome sunrises from offshore in a tiny kayak is a privilege in itself. That alone is something so many people on the planet will never get to experience! The chance to get a trophy fish on the line is that added bonus and motivation to get back on the water after those bad days we've all had lol
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:16 PM   #9
jruiz
Large Member

I see alot of reports of folks catching bait, fly lining bait or trolling nomads or some other diving lure, and blanking out saying the fish must not have been there. I know the majority of the kayak fisherman fish this way at LJ. It's an effective way to catch yellowtail most times of the year but sometimes it's not. I guess my question is do you guys ever change it up? Try a dropper loop at the bottom? Yoyo over marks? Catch squid on a not so secret squid bite? Or just say, you know what I'm just going to target halibut today?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #10
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Couldn't agree more! Just being on the water, chilling with dolphins, whales, sea lions and sharks and watching awesome sunrises from offshore in a tiny kayak is a privilege in itself. That alone is something so many people on the planet will never get to experience! The chance to get a trophy fish on the line is that added bonus and motivation to get back on the water after those bad days we've all had lol
X2.....
Old 02-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #11
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I see alot of reports of folks catching bait, fly lining bait or trolling nomads or some other diving lure, and blanking out saying the fish must not have been there. I know the majority of the kayak fisherman fish this way at LJ. It's an effective way to catch yellowtail most times of the year but sometimes it's not. I guess my question is do you guys ever change it up? Try a dropper loop at the bottom? Yoyo over marks? Catch squid on a not so secret squid bite? Or just say, you know what I'm just going to target halibut today?
Yes to all the other choices. Dropper loops, slider sinkers, etc., I haven't used squid in a while and it's even better when it's caught fresh there. Dropped and tossed several jigs, but in the end some of that just becomes more WORK and as fishing has been slow even using the other methods, I choose to just drift at times to relax. Other times I troll a lure, just cause it allows me to cover a lot more water faster , while searching for better signs on the FF. Everybody has their own methods and I prefer to just enjoy the day when the fishing is slow. There is just no place I can relax as much given my age I can't play sports, snow skii, or hike like I used to and being on the water is a blast and even though the Solo Skiff doesn't have the power my stand up Jet Ski had, it's almost as much fun. Just can't do all the free style tricks, I used to love to do 30+ years ago.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #12
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Good effort Mark!

Love those purple jelly’s!
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:22 PM   #13
Jxjones

Thanks for the post Mark. See you on the water soon!
Jxjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #14
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Wish I could pedal my Hobie that fast
Thanks for the video, beautiful footage. Maybe a fish on the next one but like you said its more about enjoying the moment.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote