Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
skrilla

made me a 10 dollar kayak light pole

And here's how I did it.

Ordered one of these. It's under $10 shipped and I got it in less than a week.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Spotter.html

I did some research on it and saw it got good reviews. Waterproof, built nice, and did I say under 10 bucks?

Comes with some cool colored lenses you can switch out. Since I'm using this to fulfill my lighting requirement for the yak, I opted to leave them out.

Here's what the shine of 5 LED bulbs look like with a fresh set of batteries I had lying around. No diffuser cone. Not bad, but it's no Las Vegas either.

And here it is with the cone.

The body fit into a 1" PVC pipe left over from my homemade cart project. I drilled a hole into it, pulled the lanyard through, and wrapped it around snug. Boom instant light pole!

Well, not quite. Wanted to add some bling. I grabbed some extra reflective tape that I've been marking my floats with. Just a minor enhancement for some added safety.

And when I thought I was done I wasn't. I whipped up this turkshead in non other than lobster red. Left a little tag end and made a loop so I can add a leash to it. Didn't want my precious new project to fall over without a little insurance.

And here it is. Straight and to the point, nothing fancy. No DSLR pics and post editing to dramatize it's appearance. Just a simple 10 dollar project I thought I'd share. Hope you enjoyed.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

sweet!

make sure you set it all the way to the back. and never in front of you. catching the glare off a bright light to the side or in front of you really messes up your night vision. and is also really annoying. i had mine about 10inches behind my seat and it was really annoying.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Aaron&Julie

Nicely done.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Nice light, i gotta love ur craftsmanship with the turks head.
Biggameaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
finyak

Very nice and you can't beat the price.Let us know how it works out on the water.Be sure to post it on the innovations page.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
OutdoorAdvntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by finyak View Post
Very nice and you can't beat the price.Let us know how it works out on the water.Be sure to post it on the innovations page.
X2 and Thanks for sharing!
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Your wrapping skills never cease to impress!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
skrilla

Tried it out last night. First time on the big bay and first time night fishing. Propped it up using one of my flush mounts behind me to avoid glare. I guess since I'm here typing a review in one piece I have to say it works.

I did use my headlamp when crossing the channel and paddling through high traffic areas. But in the shallower areas and while drifting I only had the light pole on. The few boaters that did pass by did notice me from a safe distance and adjusted course and speed. The LED didn't seem as bright or intense as the halogens I saw but that might be because of my perspective. There were others out there in total darkness or just using glow sticks and I could easily make them out (20/20 vision and I eat my carrots ). I guess since the LED is brighter than a glow stick I should be safe. Headlamp, spotter light, extra batteries, and some common sense to add of course.

It does sorta rattle and bang around in the rod holder. Easily remedied with some heatshrink, duct tape, buttcap... etc. Also considering cutting it in half and adding a coupler and maybe some bungee for space saving purposes. But at 4ft it's already short enough as it is.

Hope this review helps out if you're looking to build one yourself.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
RookieYakker

bump...with lobster season approaching and me needing a new light, I found this listing. Looks like a great, cheap way to make one!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
Tried it out last night. First time on the big bay and first time night fishing. Propped it up using one of my flush mounts behind me to avoid glare. I guess since I'm here typing a review in one piece I have to say it works.

I did use my headlamp when crossing the channel and paddling through high traffic areas. But in the shallower areas and while drifting I only had the light pole on. The few boaters that did pass by did notice me from a safe distance and adjusted course and speed. The LED didn't seem as bright or intense as the halogens I saw but that might be because of my perspective. There were others out there in total darkness or just using glow sticks and I could easily make them out (20/20 vision and I eat my carrots ). I guess since the LED is brighter than a glow stick I should be safe. Headlamp, spotter light, extra batteries, and some common sense to add of course.

It does sorta rattle and bang around in the rod holder. Easily remedied with some heatshrink, duct tape, buttcap... etc. Also considering cutting it in half and adding a coupler and maybe some bungee for space saving purposes. But at 4ft it's already short enough as it is.

Hope this review helps out if you're looking to build one yourself.

Very nice DIY!
To minimize the rattling try some pipe (plumbing) insulation (Home Depot). I bought mine as a second due to damage to the foam spacer/cushion. Removed old foam and replaced with new. Been functioning for 5+ years now.
Finally found some heat shrink tubing to protect foam. Should last 10years or so!
(JMO) You should attach some cross lock snaps and mount a flag.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
boxturtle

Add a reflective flag and you are golden
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
buddha

Thanks I have the same exact light and need to rig it up. btw How was the fishing at night?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote