Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

Leak Detected

So I have taken my new to me Kayak out 6 times now and all but 1 time I did I noticed a hefty amount of water in the hull. I'm not talking a couple of cups worth, I'm talking gallons, obviously making for a more difficult paddle at times, the feeling of sloshing, and not being quite balanced right.

So today I wanted to check the possible areas that I could be getting water from. I plugged the scupper holes on the main deck and filled it with water. Once the water was in the main deck I looked through the bow opening to see if there were any leaks, and sure enough there were, and pretty good at that.

I have circled the two areas that I noticed leaks coming in. The center hatch, which I have been told are famous for leaking, and the secure strap screw holes in the middle of the desk. So wanting to see if there were any more that I could not see, I filled the hull and had it tilted so all the water would fill from the rear to the front. Then I found more leaks from the Rudder area.

the water was coming out one the top and bottom of the Rudder bracket. I drained the water out, the plants loved that, and let the Kayak dry in the areas that I found the leaks and used Marine goop to fill in the holes back at the rudder area, and I put goop on each of the screws that hold the center hatch in place, and also gooped all the way around the center hatch where the lip meets the kayak. Does anyone even use these center hatches for anything? Wondering if i should get a bucket to go in there of something. I also gooped the screws that hold the strap in place in the middle of the deck.

I'll let the goop set for a day and test it again to see if I got the leaks fixed. I was thinking of installing a bilge pump but would like to hold off on that if i don't have to.

Anyone else with the older Prowlers have this issue?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Man that's a bummer, hope the goop works. If not Go see Andy at OEX for some welding.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Man that's a bummer, hope the goop works. If not Go see Andy at OEX for some welding.
Andy's a little far for me to drive so I would take it to the guys in Mission Bay. I still may install a bilge pump for the safety of it all. I already have a pump I just need to install a switch and drain vent.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
Siebler

Those old prowlers leaked on rudder, was part of owning one honestly. Mine leaked in same places, not a lot can be done and youve pretty much done it. How much water are we talking ? Just get a hand bilge, no battery to carry or have die, no weight and extra wiring to care for.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Those old prowlers leaked on rudder, was part of owning one honestly. Mine leaked in same places, not a lot can be done and youve pretty much done it. How much water are we talking ? Just get a hand bilge, no battery to carry or have die, no weight and extra wiring to care for.
Hey CJ, after about 6 hours on the water There was maybe 3 gallons of water in the hull. I don't even use the center hatch for anything, I had thought of putting one in on my last prowler but I was told that they always leak, and that's why I did not install one. Now I see it was true.

CJ, the little storage bag that is supposed to go in that hatch, does it also provide a sort of seal for water? If that's the case do you have those black buckets that go in there instead so I can store my wallet and stuff in there?

I'll check my leak seal this afternoon to see if I got it sealed.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Hey Jimmy,

I had a problem like this and the culprit was that one inch hole i made right under the HB GPS/Combo unit. I ended GOOPING the one inch hole with the cables still in it. Solved the problem.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
CJ, the little storage bag that is supposed to go in that hatch, does it also provide a sort of seal for water? If that's the case do you have those black buckets that go in there instead so I can store my wallet and stuff in there?
Depends on which hat6ch you installed. Every manufacture uses a different system and some dont even offer a bag at all. Most dont help with leaking though.

Gooping the rudder area will probably be what helps you most. On my 15 I took on a lot of water when it was rough out, on flat water obviously not a problem.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Depends on which hat6ch you installed. Every manufacture uses a different system and some dont even offer a bag at all. Most dont help with leaking though.

Gooping the rudder area will probably be what helps you most. On my 15 I took on a lot of water when it was rough out, on flat water obviously not a problem.
This hatch was installed by the previos owner. I sealed the ring and that seems to be good. The water appears to be coming in throught the screws or the threads on the hatch. I gooped all the screws last yesterday, and if I notice the leak is coming from the threads in the hatch I may seal that completely and not use the hatch.

The Prowler I bought from Jim Sammons a while back was the most water tight boat I've had and the Malibu I sold was right with that. We'll see if the leaks have been fixed or at least reduced quite a bit.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
dorado50

Please let us know....the suspence is killing me.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Please let us know....the suspence is killing me.
Please stand by....

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

For those who may have been worried, I fixed the leak at the rudder and the tie down area in the middle, but the center hatch still has a slight leak. Nothing for me to worry about though. I'll carry a pump and that should be fine.

God Bless,
JimmyZ