Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
PAL

MLPA ROLL CALL: Saddle up! Dec 15, Final Meeting. Be there!

What a long, hard road! It ends in just two weeks in Santa Barbara, Dec 15, 9 am at the Hotel Mar Monte on 1111 East Cabrillo Blvd.

Yes, it's another stick in the eye for the working man, but that's nothing new for this wretched 'process.'

We've come so far together. The enviros hate us for keeping their greedy hands off every inch of La Jolla. We have to see this through, so we can call them on any last second dirty tricks.

FINISH STRONG

The PSO / UASC / SAC attorneys are coming, with a stern message for the Fish and Game Commission. The state didn't appeal that public records act lawsuit Bob Fletcher won. This thing isn't going to end on Dec 15, even if Julie Packard, Meg Caldwell, the Deal the Bay and Coaststealer people have 3 yes votes in the bag. Come see for yourself.

We need to protect what we've fought for in La Jolla, we need to support the common-sense commissioner Dan Richards, and we need to stand with our fellow watermen and conservationists the free divers. They've stood by us.

More info as the meeting approaches. Stand up for your way of life; stand up for your sport.

ROLL CALL
1. Paul Lebowitz
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
We've come so far together. The enviros hate us for keeping their greedy hands off every inch of La Jolla. We have to see this through, so we can call them on any last second dirty tricks...
The PSO / UASC / SAC attorneys are coming, with a stern message for the Fish and Game Commission. The state didn't appeal that public records act lawsuit Bob Fletcher won. This thing isn't going to end on Dec 15, even if Julie Packard, Meg Caldwell, the Deal the Bay and Coaststealer people have 3 yes votes in the bag. Come see for yourself.
We need to protect what we've fought for in La Jolla, we need to support the common-sense commissioner Dan Richards, and we need to stand with our fellow watermen and conservationists the free divers. They've stood by us.

ROLL CALL
1. Paul Lebowitz
2. Martin
3. Clay (possibly, have to check schedule)
I hope I get a chance to have a word or two with Ken..

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

BUMP

This from Keep America Fishing...forward to friends, family, etc...let's inundate the DFG...

The Situation
During its upcoming meeting, the California Fish and Game Commission could vote to enclose approximately 15 percent of southern California’s coastal waters within marine protected areas (MPAs), including many of the most popular fishing spots, under the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) process. This critical vote comes at a time when concerns about the MLPA process continue to escalate. A recent court ruling validates long-held concerns about the secretive ways in which the groups implementing the MLPA have been making decisions. The meeting is being held December 15-16, in Santa Barbara .

The MLPA process has been plagued by numerous issues which have not been resolved, including:

• The lack of a transparent and open decision making process
  • Inadequate resources for enforcement and biological monitoring
  • A process that side-steps a science-based fisheries management approach that clearly identifies the threats to California ’s marine environment

Touted as “ecosystem protection,” the MLPA only targets recreational fishing and its significant economic contributions to California’s economy all the while ignoring the litany of significant threats to California’s oceans, such as sewage outfalls and storm water runoff, agricultural chemicals and other pollutants, ocean acidification, ocean side development and once-through cooling.

The Department of Fish and Game estimates that the MPA regulations will cost California ’s taxpayers $40 million annually for enforcement and biological monitoring – resources that the state simply does not have. With a current deficit of $26 billion, California cannot afford to adopt costly measures that will only work to limit recreational fishing access which provides employment for 20,000 Californians.

How You Can Help

Given the numerous serious concerns surrounding the process, please send a message to the California Fish and Game Commission urging them to suspend the South Coast MLPA implementation.

Visit
www.KeepAmericaFishing.org for more information on the MLPA.

Thank you for doing your part to help KeepAmericaFishing!

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
FISHIONADO

I'll be there, thanks for the heads up.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
FISHIONADO

Anyone want to car pool? Only need one car so far....
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
PAL

Two replies. Come on BWE, we're better than this.

Even if most of you can't make it between the holidays and the miserably inconvenient time and location, there should at least be activity on this thread.

As a community, we sacrificed much to hang onto a big chunk of La Jolla. That work isn't quite finished.

At the very least, send in those letters, and if you're the religious type, maybe you better start praying. With this limp showing, we're going to need divine intervention to hold the line.

Man up! This silent act is weak.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
kurt

Letter sent. No more vacation days or sick days, so I doubt I'll make this one. But I'll try.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
PAL

Thanks Kurt. Who's next!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Jim Sammons LJKF

Letter sent and I will do my best to get there. May need to share a ride
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I used all my time for the other meetings, my current cold , and the birth of my 2nd baby a couple months ago. Trying hard to sound like I am not making too many excuses, but I am tapped out. I'll try for a hail mary, but anyone else, that can make it, should roll. It is a long drive, but this is it... thanks for those that can attend, and fight us!

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 12-03-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
wade

sent,..... get yours in tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mash Up The MLPA!
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
C. Cary

Letter sent.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
kayakhunter

Message Sent.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
PAL

Thanks guys! Keep those letter rolling...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
cowboybill

letter sent

Not sure if I can make it....Letter sent, will see what I can do.

cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
premo

message sent
premo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
bellcon

Gonna do my best to get to another wonderful
meeting
I miss those Eco freaks painting us as the bad guys
I miss the commisioners rolling their eyes when we make a valid point
I miss Mr. IamnotsuchaWiseman being passive aggressive and trying to pay back real men (and women) for the treatment he recieved on the playground has a child
I miss the wackos from La Goona preaching about the need to close their entire coastline from those terible fishermen and spearos
I miss witnessing innocent children being indoctrinated by panty wearing men and unshaven women, in the name of "education "
I miss waiting 10 hours to speak for 1 minute
I miss some lite in the loafer kook telling Charles V. To shut up
I miss seeing Buttchaser use a legit big word.... And a bunch of sissys crying foul because they never heard the word used before
I miss sitting a room full of people, many of whom need a swift hard kick in the ass... And having to fight the urge to deliver that kick... Even though it really seems like the right thing to do .

I really miss all the time, money and effort put in by SO FEW
and then listening to other guys whine and complain about what they have done before or how they feel unwelcome at the meetings...

Yep
I miss so much about these puke inducing meetings

so I will do my best to get to this one
"the last one"

Big thanks to Chris, Tyler , Billy and Paul for motivating guys from San Diego,
we would have been fugged beyond belief it wasn't for all your hard work

and to all the new faces here at BWE
step up boyz, pay some dues
these meetings can create memories of a life time for you!

And you never know... You may just become part of some secret "code group" that shares precious info about big fish fishing...
Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
Hypoxic1

I will be there

My schedule in the past hasent permitted me to make the last meeting and I dont see how I can help but I will be at this one. I was at the carlsbad meeting and it seemed like such a cluster###

But I dont see how any of us can bitch about it if we dont make a final show of support for these guys who have been so comitted to preserving our rights.
Its a drive yes, but SB is also a nice place to have to drive to. Thank god it aint in Sacramento.
I will be at this one Paul, for at least the day. Thank you for all you have done for the rest of us.
Chris Lewis
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
RK

letter sent thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
This from Keep America Fishing...forward to friends, family, etc...let's inundate the DFG...

The Situation
During its upcoming meeting, the California Fish and Game Commission could vote to enclose approximately 15 percent of southern California’s coastal waters within marine protected areas (MPAs), including many of the most popular fishing spots, under the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) process. This critical vote comes at a time when concerns about the MLPA process continue to escalate. A recent court ruling validates long-held concerns about the secretive ways in which the groups implementing the MLPA have been making decisions. The meeting is being held December 15-16, in Santa Barbara .

The MLPA process has been plagued by numerous issues which have not been resolved, including:

• The lack of a transparent and open decision making process
  • Inadequate resources for enforcement and biological monitoring
  • A process that side-steps a science-based fisheries management approach that clearly identifies the threats to California ’s marine environment
Touted as “ecosystem protection,” the MLPA only targets recreational fishing and its significant economic contributions to California’s economy all the while ignoring the litany of significant threats to California’s oceans, such as sewage outfalls and storm water runoff, agricultural chemicals and other pollutants, ocean acidification, ocean side development and once-through cooling.

The Department of Fish and Game estimates that the MPA regulations will cost California ’s taxpayers $40 million annually for enforcement and biological monitoring – resources that the state simply does not have. With a current deficit of $26 billion, California cannot afford to adopt costly measures that will only work to limit recreational fishing access which provides employment for 20,000 Californians.

How You Can Help

Given the numerous serious concerns surrounding the process, please send a message to the California Fish and Game Commission urging them to suspend the South Coast MLPA implementation.

Visit www.KeepAmericaFishing.org for more information on the MLPA.

Thank you for doing your part to help KeepAmericaFishing!
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
T-Rex

Modified letter sent. Going to try to make it, but my work schedule is not looking good. That's the reason these MLPA dog and pony shows are scheduled for weekdays - the full time paid activists and bussed in kids don't feel any economic pain by attending, anyone with a regular job does. It's all part of the corrupt MLPA process.