Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #41
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Lets say for the sake of simple math that 1 million licences get sold each year. If you were to mobilize every BWE member not to buy one for a while you would possibly create a .5% temporary delay in funds to the state.

As much as this might make someone feel better, or like they are making a stand, it would mean absolutely nothing to the state.

Fishing without a licence is another option that may not be the best choice for us anglers. Last thing we want to be portrayed as is a bunch of lawless "fish killers".

Remember, the DFG is enforcing the laws created by someone else.

I was thinking about picketing in front of a retail location of one of the companies that financially aligned itself with the MLPA. This would not require great numbers but maight send a more precise message.

Just my 2 cents.
x-2

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #42
PAL

Quote:
To those of you that actually spent time and effort to stop this process I want to thank you.I hope it feels good that it made almost no difference
I hope it feels good to be ignorant. Almost no difference? The better part of LJ is open. The enviros wanted the entire thing. They were desperate to get it. We turned them away. That was a huge difference, and it didn't happen by itself. Or maybe you're from Laguna. Then you're right. The blue bloods (or is that blue hairs?) won. Or Dume up in Malibu, movie star land? There weren't enough fishermen to defend our turf. Maybe you stayed home?

Other zones that went the fisherman's way:

Rocky Pt at PV
Catalina west end
Carp Reef
Pyramid Cove

I could keep going. It would have been much worse if people hadn't stood up. Too bad more didn't show, enough to shut down the hearings. I didn't miss one. When we had the numbers, events went our way. When our people faded, nightmare.

Every time one of us paddles out to north LJ kelp, dives there with a spear, or drops a line from a boat this community should feel proud for showing up and speaking too loudly to be ignored. It would be closed now without the kayak fishing crowd.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #43
DESTROYER

Lebo 4 President
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #44
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post

Lebo 4 President
x2
Thanks Paul
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #45
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Another chit list here

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/fis...cott-list.html

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #46
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post

Lebo 4 President
I agree thanks Paul...well said
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #47
FISHIONADO

Stairman, did you vote for the republican Schwarzenegger? I did, and I regret it now. Who did you vote for? You come on here and bad-mouth me yet you did nothing to help defend our rights. Let's continue the discussion buddy. I'm a military veteran who votes every time and I stand up and speak up when needed. What have you done?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #48
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Here is the last known WSB shot in south La Jolla before the MPA's go in effect, congrats to Corey.

glad to see the wong matches the speedos :-)
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #49
FISHIONADO

Does Corey look better with a 69 year old body?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #50
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

don't forget you can still catch your bait in the scripps area....

I usually catch bait using a flylined 2/O hook... its funny how the mackerel hook themselves through the nose everytime

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #51
j mo

What are the regs for that? If you do catch a yellow or halibut while making bait? Are you supposed to release? What if you cant, I once foul hooked a YT at blacks in the gill. Zero chance of survival.... Can you keep bycatch in that case?
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #52
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
What are the regs for that? If you do catch a yellow or halibut while making bait? Are you supposed to release? What if you cant, I once foul hooked a YT at blacks in the gill. Zero chance of survival.... Can you keep bycatch in that case?
good question. Legally I don't think you could keep it, regardless of its potential to survive...

I'm would assume you're supossed to cut the line immediately, but I doubt there are any rules or regulations that have been written up to address such a case.

Legally I don't think anyone could prove anything in regards to this kind of situation.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm pissed off about the Scripps area being closed.

It doesn't make any sense to close the area to pelagics but leave it open to coastal pelagics.

This is just another example of how the whole MLPA process was flawed, biased, and twisted by the enviros.

The stupid enviros don't even know the difference between what making bait and catching fish looks like!

Its just stupid.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #53
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaha View Post
glad to see the wong matches the speedos :-)

Quit looking at my wong.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #54
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
I hope it feels good to be ignorant. Almost no difference? The better part of LJ is open. The enviros wanted the entire thing. They were desperate to get it. We turned them away. That was a huge difference, and it didn't happen by itself. Or maybe you're from Laguna. Then you're right. The blue bloods (or is that blue hairs?) won. Or Dume up in Malibu, movie star land? There weren't enough fishermen to defend our turf. Maybe you stayed home?

Other zones that went the fisherman's way:

Rocky Pt at PV
Catalina west end
Carp Reef
Pyramid Cove

I could keep going. It would have been much worse if people hadn't stood up. Too bad more didn't show, enough to shut down the hearings. I didn't miss one. When we had the numbers, events went our way. When our people faded, nightmare.

Every time one of us paddles out to north LJ kelp, dives there with a spear, or drops a line from a boat this community should feel proud for showing up and speaking too loudly to be ignored. It would be closed now without the kayak fishing crowd.
I saw you at a lot of those meetings Paul....thanks for all your help. You are right...if we weren't there in the numbers we were we would have lost a lot more. The other side was bussing school children in for goodness sake. If we hadn't been there much more would have been closed. don't get me wrong......We lost some great spots but the damage would have been far greater.

One thing i did recognize was that the system was flawed and if you were going to get anything done you were going to have to be on the inside.

That is why I am running for city council in San Diego. It's time to quit just going to meetings and donating money. It"s time to stand up (get of the yak temporarily) and make a difference.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #55
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
good question. Legally I don't think you could keep it, regardless of its potential to survive...

I'm would assume you're supossed to cut the line immediately, but I doubt there are any rules or regulations that have been written up to address such a case.

Legally I don't think anyone could prove anything in regards to this kind of situation.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm pissed off about the Scripps area being closed.

It doesn't make any sense to close the area to pelagics but leave it open to coastal pelagics.

This is just another example of how the whole MLPA process was flawed, biased, and twisted by the enviros.

The stupid enviros don't even know the difference between what making bait and catching fish looks like!

Its just stupid.
I think it is funny that the MLPA uses the term "coastal pelagic" to refer to bait, because to me WSB is a coastal pelagic.

To your question as to why coastal pelagics are the only think allowed for take, my understanding is that the area was suppose to be a full SMR (zero take) and the Efferingham(sp) brothers said they need the area to make bait and your lot (the kayakers) fought hard to keep the right to make bait at the pier and canyon. And the game warden who parks at base of the pier or watches from the top of blacks knows the difference between a sardine and a yellowtail.
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #56
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaha View Post
I think it is funny that the MLPA uses the term "coastal pelagic" to refer to bait, because to me WSB is a coastal pelagic.

To your question as to why coastal pelagics are the only think allowed for take, my understanding is that the area was suppose to be a full SMR (zero take) and the Efferingham(sp) brothers said they need the area to make bait and your lot (the kayakers) fought hard to keep the right to make bait at the pier and canyon. And the game warden who parks at base of the pier or watches from the top of blacks knows the difference between a sardine and a yellowtail.
true... wsb should be reclassified realistically...

I knew why it was left open to catching bait....

It just doesn't make sense to me that you would allow big boats like Evingrahms to come in and purse seine a ton of sardines when you won't let a few recreational fishermen catch one or two yellowtail.

Yeah, I would hope the warden knows the difference between a yellowtail and mackerel up close.

But I doubt the warden would be able to tell from distance if you were catching bait, soaking bait, or hooked up to a big fish..... its pretty easy to hide a bendo if you try.

I have been less than a 1/4 mile from people that were bent on big yellowtail and I didnt even notice!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #57
PAL

Funny thing, coastal pelagics (bait) in the MPA north of the pier is open only to recreational take. When they cut that deal to allow us to continue fishing bait at the pier (a concession we ripped from them - Tyler), Everyingham was supposed to have access too. Somehow they "lost" that part.

If you ask the DFG, they'll tell you fish that aren't legal to take (yellowtail north of the pier) must be released even if that means dead. The same principle rules rockfish. Say you pull up one too many bloated salmon grouper or canary, you've got to leave it as a floater or risk a fine.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #58
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Funny thing, coastal pelagics (bait) in the MPA north of the pier is open only to recreational take. When they cut that deal to allow us to continue fishing bait at the pier (a concession we ripped from them - Tyler), Everyingham was supposed to have access too. Somehow they "lost" that part.

If you ask the DFG, they'll tell you fish that aren't legal to take (yellowtail north of the pier) must be released even if that means dead. The same principle rules rockfish. Say you pull up one too many bloated salmon grouper or canary, you've got to leave it as a floater or risk a fine.
which never made any sense to me at all...what are you gonna do...
Sherm,
I hope you go all the way...and I promise to not refer to you as one of "those politicians" this state needs more than one of you in office for the good of the people...I support you 100%
Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #59
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
which never made any sense to me at all...what are you gonna do...
Sherm,
I hope you go all the way...and I promise to not refer to you as one of "those politicians" this state needs more than one of you in office for the good of the people...I support you 100%

Thanks amigo. We need a business man and outdoor enthusiast on the council. The second largest city in the state has to have some clout to help slow this down.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #60
RK

Sherm
Since you brought it up "you running for city council" as I know you've solicitied people close to me for support

Im curious what exactly would that do for us regarding issues like this that have already gone into effect on a statewide level?
RK is offline   Reply With Quote