Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

saw a white today...

driving to work up in san o, going along the 5 north i was watching birds circle out in front of SONGS when the water exploded, fish and dolphins hitting bait and out of nowhere this shark leaps completely into the air, turns sideways and lands on its side with a big splash. judging by the size of the birds, dolphins and surfers sitting on the swells, id say it was over 10ft. maybe 12. just inside the marker boueys. coolest thing i've seen on the way to work so far.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Fffffffffffffffffffudge, I would be totally okay seein that one from the freeway.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Are you sure it was a white? As far as I know, GWS breaching is a trait that is unique to Seal Island in south america due to the "ring of death", an underwater channel that circles the island and allows the whites to ambush seals crossing over the ring from below. If it was a white then it was a very rare glimps of activity we don't get to see in our waters

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
lowprofile

ya it was a white, huge pectoral fins and too much body to be a Mako. i've seen plenty of threshers and mako's go airborn and only one white before this, but it was enough to imprint a lasting image.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Those things are like my worst fear on the planet
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Those things are like my worst fear on the planet
Old 02-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
lowprofile

and thinking about it, its only like 20ft deep there. and this thing got completely out of the water. imagine what it could do at La Jolla in 100ft of water.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Shut up, I'm totally safe in anything less than 100 ft of water.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Are you sure it was a white? As far as I know, GWS breaching is a trait that is unique to Seal Island in south america due to the "ring of death", an underwater channel that circles the island and allows the whites to ambush seals crossing over the ring from below. If it was a white then it was a very rare glimps of activity we don't get to see in our waters
FYI.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,4449964.story

KTLA News 10:47 a.m. PDT, June 8, 2010

PACIFIC PALISADES -- A local surfer says he has seen at least 12 great white sharks breaching along the coast, and captured some on video.

Setting up cameras at Will Rodgers State Beach, surfer Randy Wright says he has caught four great sharks on tape, and two of them in the past week alone.

video here

http://www.thedorsalfin.com/shark-ne...eo-california/

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
oneyedeer

Quote:
California is a great place to vacation

"Shut up, I'm totally safe in anything less than 100 ft of water."

Majority of attacks occur <100ft of water lol even the less then symbol agrees only if i can put shark teeth on it
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

This is still a very rare occurence. You've got one california surfer that spend his life in the same stretch of water every day. He got to observe and document something that is normally NOT a regular behavior to w hites in our waters. Not saying it can't or doesn't happen.....just saying that if it was a GWS, then congrats. Not many get the chance to see something like that and almost never in 20'. Think about it, if it was a 12' shark then he had less then his body legth to build up enough speed to launch 1000#+ clear out of the water vertical? Excuse my scepticism. Not saying it didn't happen, just sayin......

Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Shut up, I'm totally safe in anything less than 100 ft of water.
And id feel safer in 100' of water with one white then in 20' with a bunch of pissed off sealions

Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
you must have missed shark week last year

They proved that great whites will breach the surface to attack seals on our coast in a very similar matter to the sharks off South Africa... the reason they don't do it as often here is related to the bathymetric features you described about the island.

When they towed the fake seal off our coast, and around the Faralon Islands, the sharks responded but jumping out of the water.... Yes they don't breach as often, but it does happen.

IF you really want to scare yourself spend some time reading the reports on this link!

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.co...shark_news.htm

Sunset Beach — On June 2, 2010 Randy Wright provided the following two reports of shark breachings from Sunset Beach. The photographs were obtained from his video tapes.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.co..._news_2010.htm

Click this link and scroll down to see the photos...

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Think about it, if it was a 12' shark then he had less then his body legth to build up enough speed to launch 1000#+ clear out of the water vertical? Excuse my scepticism. Not saying it didn't happen, just sayin......
You sir, must know everything. Just sayin...

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

This goes back to what I was saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
you must have missed shark week last year

They proved that great whites will breach the surface to attack seals on our coast in a very similar matter to the sharks off South Africa... the reason they don't do it as often here is related to the bathymetric features you described about the island.

When they towed the fake seal off our coast, and around the Faralon Islands, the sharks responded but jumping out of the water.... Yes they don't breach as often, but it does happen.

IF you really want to scare yourself spend some time reading the reports on this link!

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.co...shark_news.htm
Can it happen?: yes
Does it happen?: on occasion
In 20' of water?: not a cold chance in hell

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

And there are more thinks on land to be scared if them getting eaten by a shark. I only wish I could be honored with such a cool way to go. Think if the obit page: eaten by a great white while doing what he loved. A glorious death

Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
mrJB

Just have to kayak fish San Onofre once and a while...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOBeXD91fI

According to friends who fish and surf San O, GWS are always there and are frequently cruising under their boards or yaks.

For me, San O is a VERY spooky place... all you have to do is go out by the intake pipe to make bait and see the intake-whirlpool out in the middle of nowhere...

If that don't get 'ya, then the shorebreak might...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
Just have to kayak fish San Onofre once and a while...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOBeXD91fI

According to friends who fish and surf San O, GWS are always there and are frequently cruising under their boards or yaks.

For me, San O is a VERY spooky place... all you have to do is go out by the intake pipe to make bait and see the intake-whirlpool out in the middle of nowhere...

If that don't get 'ya, then the shorebreak might...
Being sucked down a giant toiletbowl is now my worst fear

Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
mrJB

LMAO...

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo...

Mister BIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllll....

(gotta' be of a certain age to get that image....)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
LMAO...

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo...

Mister BIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllll....

(gotta' be of a certain age to get that image....)
ROFLMAO, and I'm not that old.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote