Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Yakin

Color or Black and White

Ok always a debate I hear
So
Now I'm going to put it to a test
I know it is a huge preference
BUT
Here it is!
What do you proffer more:
A Color Fish Finder
or
Black and white?
Why do you like it more?
Witch do you have?
AND
why did you go with it?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post

So
BUT
Here it is!
A Color Fish Finder
or
Black and white?
Why do you like it more?
Witch do you have?
AND
why did you go with it?

I prefer color to grayscale. Why? Simple things like changing bottom color from red to white. This helps in some cases to distinguish bottom from bottom hugging fish that you might miss if it were set to default. Also a HUGE tool that many people miss out on or fail to see important is the A-scope.

I have the Lowrance Elite-4 Gold. It's priced right for all the shit it does.

I went with it because I am familiar with Lowrance and have always maximized my use with my Lowrance units. Always gotten my money's worth. Yeah, I know the are getting thrown under the bus as of late (and it's on them deservedly so), but I just went with what I know.

That being said, a guy with a $200 sonar and the dedication to maximize it's potential will always do better than a weekend warrior who has a $2,000 system and no desire to learn properly how to use it.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:

So
BUT
Here it is!
A Color Fish Finder
or
Black and white?
Why do you like it more?
Witch do you have?
AND
why did you go with it?
I went with a B&W unit for the price, I know that having a color unit would have increased many things and one day I will upgrade to that, but for now I will do fine with the B&W Lowrance Elite 4. I have used Humminbird and many of the other units and so far the Lowrance seems to be the easiest one to work with. I'm very pleased with what I purchased. The thing I do like also is when it does come time to upgrade knowing that BPS allows the 6 month pay thing, I will be jumping on that next time as well.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
So
BUT
Here it is!
A Color Fish Finder
or
Black and white?
Why do you like it more?
Witch do you have?
AND
why did you go with it?
I PREFER anything other than an Eagle Cuda 168.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I went with a B&W unit for the price, I know that having a color unit would have increased many things and one day I will upgrade to that, but for now I will do fine with the B&W Lowrance Elite 4. I have used Humminbird and many of the other units and so far the Lowrance seems to be the easiest one to work with. I'm very pleased with what I purchased. The thing I do like also is when it does come time to upgrade knowing that BPS allows the 6 month pay thing, I will be jumping on that next time as well.
Jimmy isn't the Lowrance Mark 4 monochrome, not the Elite series?
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
fishingfiend

It's 2012, I think we can move past B&W as COLOR can show additional information with better contrast and that helps make decisions on the water. As an example, squid and the nests are easier to see in a blueish hue. IMO, you can't have enough info on the water, but then again, I bring a lot of gear with me. I guess the color debate comes down to how much info/data you want/need? I'm an information whore when it comes to fishing, so color and down imaging were required.

I purchased the Humminbird 597 ci di hd over the Lowrance 5dsi. I really wanted the Lowrance, but the features and value with the Humminbird were too much for me to pass up. Plus when I asked the lowrance rep at FHS to convince me to buy the 5 dsi, he really didn't even try. He wanted to upsell me to the HDS Gen2 that was out of my budget. One day, when they fix their mapping issues I'll try to consider them again. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my 597. Side Imaging/Structure Scan are definitely on my wish list!

Pros
- 5" display with 640x640 resolution. More pixels, more better.
- Down Imaging with Traditional Sonar in split screen mode
- Less current draw 650mAh vs 750mAh

Cons
- Wiring harness is screwed to the base mount meaning only the actual headunit can be removed. WTF, Humminbird! Lowrance 5 with a RAM ball mount is just an awesome solution. I hope Humminbird fixes this in the future.
- Fears of not being waterproof have given me a complex. I do my best to avoid getting water on her. This may just be me from trolling too many forums.

With only 4 trips with this unit, I'm sure I'll be adding to the list. For the time being, I'm very happy with my investment and would recommend this to others who do not mind having the base mount attached all the time.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote