Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Torrey pines reef GPS

What are the GPS coordinates for the Torrey Reefs?
The DFG site lists them as the following:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/artificialreefs/
TP 1 32 53' 12" x 117 15' 50"
TP 2 32 53' 35" x 117 15' 35"

are the coordinates correct or are they slightly off on a handheld GPS? I don't have a working fish finder right now so I can't mark the reef structure.
I have the Garmin extrex Legend GPS and noticed lots of lobster buoys on Sunday slightly south west of TP 2. There were lots of sand bass around the buoys, and something toothy too, hopefully a hali but I will never know.

Planning on going north for buts again at least one day this weekend.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

What reefs?

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Reef 2 is in 40 feet of water, (does not help you without a meter) It is just north of the glider port and usually has alot more lobster bouys on it then reef 1. If you are looking hard, you should be able to see one reef's buoys while on the other. Reef one is almost straight out from the gliderport in 60 feet of water. I have never double checked the published GPS numbers, if somebody else can confirm their accuracy. Good luck, halibut may be the only game in town, right now.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
Mr_PeaCH

I noticed the GPS measurements you reported were in degrees, minutes and seconds (DMS) which is sort of old-school now. Most people's newer handheld GPS devices use the more accurate degrees, minutes, 'thousandths-of-seconds' or DMM.

If you have some software that came with your device you should be able to convert between DMS and DMM rather easily but be sure you enter those numbers while in DMS and then switch back or convert the numbers first and then re-enter them into DMM.

Hope I'm making sense. But the key is with the final number. In DMS the seconds places goes from 00 to 59 and then the minutes counter advances. In DMM, 59 seconds would look something like 990. So if you input DMS numbers into a DMM-set device you're going to be off by a bit.
Mr_PeaCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
cabohunt

Yeah, There is somthing toothy out there!

I was out there on opening day of lobster season. Great Sandbass, few big Calicos. I was freediving Torrey Pines artificial reef #2 with two other buds. Myself and another each speared a nice sandie and tossed them into the boat. On my 10th dive on the reef, with a really good breath-hold, I rested down on the reef watching a group of calicos when 10' in front of me passes an 8' Great White. As he got directly in front of me he turned away. Glad I didn't have a dead fish on my belt.
I believe the amount of bait from the lobster traps attracted him. They are out there. Off Boomers I saw an 8' sevengil shark in 25' of water. And this time of year the soupfins start coming into the kelp.

Mike K.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

That sevengill must have been the one that ran into Brad last week! :shock:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
madscientist

I'm not familiar with seven gill sharks. Do they bite? :lol:
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #8